Valhalla Inquiry

Aothaine

Hey everyone!

Some questions regarding Valhallan rules if you don't mind.

So, the regimental focus on Valhalla https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/28/regiment-focus-valhallans-sep28gw-homepage-post-2/ , States that Vehicles always count as having double wounds and their troops lose half of their number on failed morale and can fire at units that have enemy models within 1" of them.. So, what I was thinking is this..

Have 2-4 Stormlords, load them up with two 10-man squads of infantry with flamers, a ogryn bodyguard, a platoon commander, command unit with the medic etc...

People will have to assault the tank, then you just give out the commands to shoot at the unit assaulting your tank. Hell you can even put tech priest there as well. I'm not sure if the medic or orders will work if they are on the stormlord's extended firing deck though. If not then you can still keep the platoon commanders there and if the tank is assaulted you can have your dudes disembark and then lay waste to the opponent that was assaulting the tank which then frees the tank up to fire afterward right?

Maybe I'm making a lot of mistakes here. I just really like the idea of units hitching a ride on big units and unleashing hell from them. Kind of like Squiggoths.

Could this work? 

Yeah I realized that the more I looked into it. But the tanks could still be used as a means of getting troops to the objectives and having 20 dudes in the tanks could still be useful even without orders. 

Total Points: 908

[LoW] Stormlord - 656 (PL 26)

- Heavy Stubber x3, Twin Heavy Bolter, Vulcan Mega-bolter, Adamantium Tracks, Twin Heavy Flamer x4, Lascannon x4

[E] Command Squad (4-man) - 62 (PL 2)

- Heavy Flamer, Flamer x3

[HS] Heavy Weapons Team (3-teams) - 33 (PL 3)

- Lasgun x3, Frag Grenade x3, Mortar x3

[HS] Heavy Weapons Team (3-teams) - 33 (PL 3)

- Lasgun x3, Frag Grenade x3, Mortar x3

Now, I know I will have to put the command squads into a battalion at least since I think I need a regiment officer for each command squad used in a detachment. The max is three since the rule of three was implemented.

Anyway, this beast is holding Heavy Flamer x3, Flamer x9, Mortar x6 on top of all of it's own weapons. I wonder if it might be better to go with Catachan? It would affect 8 Heavy Flamers on the Stormlord for the reroll of how many attacks/auto hits. I wonder if this is more important or better than keeping the Stormlord firing at max power until it is at 7 wounds.

What do you guys think?

Can super-heavies benefit from regimental doctrines? I was under the impression that they couldn't. Seems the trick with valhallans is to have 3 hws with mortars hanging in the back to drop 9d6 S4 shots on anything trying to tie up your leman russes. If you're worried about hitting your own tanks take the relic which lets you double order a unit and also give them "take aim". Also, flamer squads are good for "tanksweeping" as they don't roll to hit and therefore cant hit your own guys.

Archived