Baiting the Heretic

Just want to alert my fellow Guard commanders to the synergy between Defensive Gunners and Vengeance for Cadia if a Chaos unit charges one of your tanks.

1 CP to make the tank overwatch on 5's and 6's 

1 CP to make the tank reroll the 1-4's, and reroll failed wounds. 

GG Thanks for charging!

I was running an early practice tournament match for my friend’s guard. I threw together an alpha legion chaos list as a potential opponent for him.

T1 I charged 10 zerkers into a plasma tank. (I focused down 2 units of infantry in front of it to clear the screen.) D gunners + vengeance = 10 dead zerkers.

It’s such a good strat. And I learned never charge a guard tank directly - just consolidate into it!

I was running an early practice tournament match for my friend’s guard. I threw together an alpha legion chaos list as a potential opponent for him.

T1 I charged 10 zerkers into a plasma tank. (I focused down 2 units of infantry in front of it to clear the screen.) D gunners + vengeance = 10 dead zerkers.

It’s such a good strat. And I learned never charge a guard tank directly - just consolidate into it!

Even if you consolidate into the guard tank, you don't count as having tied it in close combat, so it can just most 5" or less and then fire everything at you.

Plus, if you thought charging one guard tank was unwise. Try a tank company! Now that is really something!

Also, what was in your friend's guard list, which tournament is he attending and how many points is his army?

Antique_nova, if they consolidate into your tank, if at the start of your shooting phase there are enemy units within an inch of your tank, it can't shoot.

If there are enemy units within an inch of the tank during your movement phase and you move away, it has Fallen Back and can't shoot.

Always try to keep your screens 4" or more away from your tanks and keep your tanks more than 4" apart to mitigate the risk of getting consolidated into!

It was a 2000pt ITC tournament. Actually a series of them, our local (New England) store runs one monthly, plus an annual GT.

He typically takes a cadian brigade with sororitas allies - a regular combined-arms style mix of tanks, arty, and infantry teams. Usually around 6-8 mixed hulls (the exact composition changes, but russes, arty, and a hellhound) and 90-100 odd infantry.

Amusingly enough for the topic at hand he’s never been matched against alpha legion chaos - I’ve only seen one or two locally and they jushave haven’t been matched against him - but the screening practice served well vs GSC, so there’s that.

And he loves defensive gunners.

Which reminds me of the time that I lost a winged DP to a manticore’s strat-buffed overwatch...... ouch!

Archived