Why tanks are awesome against Necrons

So, I was just brushing up on my Necron knowledge and I keep hearing about the tesseract vault spam.

I have several ways to beat it with a few different lists, but when I was reading through the c'tan powers just now. I laughed, because as I was thinking about the vaults:

3x Tesseract Vaults firing all their Tesla Spheres will get 60 hits on average. Only 20 will wound a Leman Russ and only 7 will go through against a Leman Russ.

Then, you have the C'tan Powers:

1. ANTIMATTER METEOR

On average, will deal 2 mortal wounds on the closest target within 24". Forget the D6 mortal wounds on a 5+. It's rarely going to happen and with D6 rolls, I always go for a 3 on average, because it's the middle number. 

2. TIME’S ARROW
Kills a model if your D6 roll exceeds the highest wounds characteristic of the unit. Against tanks. Not going to happen. Lol.

3. SKY OF FALLING STARS
You are never going to roll less than a 1. So, this power is impossible to achieve.

4. COSMIC FIRE
Cause D3 wounds on a +3 for the vaults.

5. SEISMIC ASSAULT
Since you only get one chance to roll a +5 on a D6 for a single unit. This power is laughable as each tank is a separate unit.

6. TRANSDIMENSIONAL THUNDERBOLT
Just keep your tanks more than 3" apart and they can only ever cause 1x D3 mortal wounds on a single tank.

With the deceiver and 3 tesseract vaults. They're barely going to be able to kill a single Leman Russ and a half per turn. Which is quite funny when you think about it, because Necrons used to be the bane of tank armies and yet a combo of their now most powerful units does so little against tanks.

3 vaults can murder all of your infantry screens real quick though, and then simply keep ramming your tanks, locking them in combat and slowly bleeding them off with mortal wounds while your tanks fall back over and over.

But yes the vaults shooting and ctan powers offensively are not anti tank in a gunline to gunline shootout.

And be aware the necrons have a stratagem to make an injured vehicle operate at its undamaged profile for a turn, so never leave one with a couple wounds left thinking it's too damaged to function!

Who says that I need infantry screens? :tongue.: The chances of the vaults or deceiver being able to assault turn 1 are slim. A tank company is more than enough to take out 1.5 vaults plus the deceiver in one turn, even if the Necrons get first turn By then, the Necrons can't do much with just 1.5 vaults against a whole tank company with minimum casualties.

If they don't use the deceiver, then they will simply get shot off the board by the tank company, before they can do as much as they could by voodoo-ing their way up close and damage control won't change much for a Tesseract Vault.

Archived