Metal regiments no longer available

Kruso

Hey fellow Guardsmen,

Just letting you know all metal regiments are gone from GW website. "Product no longer available". I'm sort of pissed off though I knew this day would come eventually. No forewarning no "last chance". Now I'll never complete my Vostroyans, unless I find good deals on ebay. Should've just picked Cadians...

I hope nobody is in the same situation as I am, and already have plenty of troops.

That's very odd (Steel Legion are still available for me and that's it). If you're looking to finish your Vostroyans you could use Anvil Industry (they've a great range of high quality parts). Here's a link to their 3d regiments designer if you're interested: http://www.regiments-designer.com/

I know about Anvil Industry, but in my opinion they don't quite catch the Vostroyan feel. Maybe I'll sell my GW Vostroyans and make a regiment entirely out of those dudes. That could be an option.

It just bugs me to no end that I didn't order my stuff last week and instead got some additions to my nids. 

I know about Anvil Industry, but in my opinion they don't quite catch the Vostroyan feel. Maybe I'll sell my GW Vostroyans and make a regiment entirely out of those dudes. That could be an option.

Well, those Vostroyans are OOP now, prepare for eBay price hikes and "Pro-painted" auctions everywhere...

Interesting development indeed...

Not sure what that means, maybe a revamp or box of the lines? :D

Not sure if its any way related but the Regimental Standard on Straken (?) Had a link to a 100 piece set of 32mm bases and a note saying that previous models (or something to that extent) were still valid...

Guard on 32s? That looks odd to me personally

Interesting development indeed...

Not sure what that means, maybe a revamp or box of the lines? :biggrin.:

Not sure if its any way related but the Regimental Standard on Straken (?) Had a link to a 100 piece set of 32mm bases and a note saying that previous models (or something to that extent) were still valid...

Hmmm...

The background of the GW website is white.

White is the colour of snow.

Snow is found on the planet Valhalla.

Valhallan Ice Warrior plastic boxed kit release confirmed!!!

Well, this kinda kills my theory...

I was expecting plastic steel legion as there's no pictures of steel legion models...but not having any of the metal regiments except steel legion sort of kills off that idea...

Edit: it's really weird that they didn't go to "last chance to buy" first...pretty much everything else they've killed recently has.

Maybe they're just reboxing them? I know that for a little bit the rhino was on "no longer available" and they were just changing out the manual so that it didn't have the 7th edition rules in it anymore.

Could be a reboxing to include rules like all the other kits, but I don't think so. They were delivered in plain white boxes anyhow, and didn't include build instructions. Of course those weren't needed obviously, but reboxing just to get rules sheet in seems like a big hassle for not much of a profit. I bet the boxes didn't even sell that well, but it was nice when they were available at least.

My smartalec opinion: Most of these models were from 2nd edition. It was absurd that they lasted this long anyway.

My real opinion: These will likely go into rotation on their make on demand service. I'm pretty positive a previous week had a bunch of guard stuff already. Given that the metal is reusable, unlike resin or plastic, it's probably more sensible for them to melt it down and just store hunks of metal until they need it than it is to store hundreds of separate pieces in separate containers and wait for orders to come in. And let's be honest, while a lot of these are people's "someday" projects, orders probably aren't pouring in for the metal regiments.

Most were 2nd ed?

ASL was 3rd

Vostroyen was 4th or later because I never heard of em when 4th came out.

Gaunt ghosts is 3rd or later too.

So Valhalla and mordia are 2nd ed armies.

I'll be honest, when I came back to 40k Vostroyen shocked the hell out of me... an all metal army made an edition or two AFTER cadians and catachans came out in plastic.

Could be a reboxing to include rules like all the other kits, but I don't think so. They were delivered in plain white boxes anyhow, and didn't include build instructions. Of course those weren't needed obviously, but reboxing just to get rules sheet in seems like a big hassle for not much of a profit. I bet the boxes didn't even sell that well, but it was nice when they were available at least.

They may be reboxing to give them some actual boxart? Or they may be going over to finecast.

Alternatively: I know they've been having trouble keeping metal model production up, maybe they're anticipating that some other metal models will be very highly in demand soon, and they want to get a big Backstock of those, so they're just cutting orders of "non essential" metal stuff.

Optimistically this means new plastic guard (I'm still standing by my theory for plastic steel legion, I know I'll be disappointed)

Pessimistically this is more GW streamlining.

So I sent them an email jokingly telling them to dump their remaining Vostroyans into my address and this is the reply I got. It gets my hopes up a bit, although making room for new products might mean any army, not just new Guard models.

"Greetings Private

Your communication has reached us here at administratum HQ.

As part of our regular reviews, to ensure all followers of the Emperor are armed with the most up to date weaponry in the fight against the xenos incursions, we are required to retire some of our venerable units from the ranks to make space for all the new recruits we havein the pipeline.

Their contribution to the cause is not and will never be forgotten though, and it is possible that after this final deployment, they may return to the hallowed halls of Made To Order, although this is not a confirmed order.

We appreciate your communique on the matter, and assure you that the Emperor Rewards the Faithful. Should any remaindered troops remain we will see if we are able to deploy them.

Carry on Soldier."

My smartalec opinion: Most of these models were from 2nd edition. It was absurd that they lasted this long anyway.

My real opinion: These will likely go into rotation on their make on demand service. I'm pretty positive a previous week had a bunch of guard stuff already. Given that the metal is reusable, unlike resin or plastic, it's probably more sensible for them to melt it down and just store hunks of metal until they need it than it is to store hundreds of separate pieces in separate containers and wait for orders to come in. And let's be honest, while a lot of these are people's "someday" projects, orders probably aren't pouring in for the metal regiments.

Vostroyans were released mid 4th with the Fall of Medusa campaign. Along with the Nurgle Daemon Prince. The prince was changed to finecast though, but is still available.

Made to Order has been fairly quiet since the initial glut, and I'm still annoyed there wasn't notice prior to the Guard ones but at least there's hope.

Start saving now comrades, you don't want to miss out when (if?) they come!

I am disappointed I didnt grab and a box of Schaeffer and Gaunts Ghosts for prosperitys sake

Fortunately I've been trawling ebay for long enough I think I'm good on Mordians. The fact 2/3s of them are unpainted seem to confirm that fact... :ermm:

Archived