Renegade Knight

Orpheus108

With the new Renegades box set released, of which I'm getting one. Has anyone used a renegade knight in their army? In semi or friendly games, what loadouts have you used? And how well did you go using it. I'm thinking of using it as a Rust Hound, as I'm running DG

Ha, snap.

I picked a box of the last set up to split with my son (he plays loyalists) and just picked up another two boxes.  

I am in the process of magnetising the knights (including the original ones) so I have only played with RFBC and Chain sword, but I found the RFBC to be pretty decent (especially against Primaris stuff).  We do not play competitively or in tourneys but it's all good fun.  

I am currently thinking of trying out the double avenger set up and running one with a thermal and reaper chain-sword.  Third one I was thinking just going with more guns as I think we have decent melee units already and struggle more with decent ranged weapons (in my opinion). 

Doubt I will run the three together regularly, but I do love the models.

Oh snap! heavyslugger

Very nice, my son is just getting into the game and wants to play a successor chapter of the ultramarines, the colours are ultramaine blue and gold halved. Runs just primaries marines and loves as much heavy firepower as he can and lots of reavers. We play just fun games together.

I was thinking of having the renegade knight with reaper chainsword, thermal and the launcher, want it heavy to fit with pallid hand DG. And use renegade army running as many Lehman russ' and a baneblade(don't know what one yet) and the rusthound knight runs with the renegade army, all running under papa gurgle.

Awesome, sounds like you two are similar to us.

It's a slow process as I have to do all the making and painting and I am about average in that dept.

He plays Ultramarines also...he loves Girlyman and hates Morty.  He wanted his marines purple, so we set out as Hawk Lords....he then changed his mind and wanted blue, so I am part way through painting everything again.  

The Renegade Knight build with dual Rapid Fire Battle Cannons, 3 Heavy Stubbers, and an Ironstorm pod is a beast. I have never seen one not make its points back. It sits at the back and blasts from 72 inches away with an average of 14 Battle Cannon shots every turn, plus the Ironstorm. 9 Heavy Stubber shots is nothing to sneeze at when you're shooting infantry.  Its overwatch is likewise frightening....and in CC, it can still stop with Titanic Feet if need be.

The Renegade Knight build with dual Rapid Fire Battle Cannons, 3 Heavy Stubbers, and an Ironstorm pod is a beast. I have never seen one not make its points back. It sits at the back and blasts from 72 inches away with an average of 14 Battle Cannon shots every turn, plus the Ironstorm. 9 Heavy Stubber shots is nothing to sneeze at when you're shooting infantry. Its overwatch is likewise frightening....and in CC, it can still stop with Titanic Feet if need be.

That loadout sounds like it'd be fun for a World Eater force....

What about the Avenger Gatling Cannon? Or is the Rapid Fire Battle Cannon better due to the all-around higher strength?

Was looking at making the renegade knight as a heavy hitter using the battle cannon, reaper chainsword just in case they get in close. I was thinking of using him as support for the renegade army, running him up with the troops or protecting the 3 basiliks.

The Renegade Knight build with dual Rapid Fire Battle Cannons, 3 Heavy Stubbers, and an Ironstorm pod is a beast. I have never seen one not make its points back. It sits at the back and blasts from 72 inches away with an average of 14 Battle Cannon shots every turn, plus the Ironstorm. 9 Heavy Stubber shots is nothing to sneeze at when you're shooting infantry. Its overwatch is likewise frightening....and in CC, it can still stop with Titanic Feet if need be.

That loadout sounds like it'd be fun for a World Eater force....

What about the Avenger Gatling Cannon? Or is the Rapid Fire Battle Cannon better due to the all-around higher strength?

IMO the Battle Cannon is better because it has both a strength advantage and double the range. As long as you have LOS, the enemy cannot escape. It's also technically cheaper because the cannon plus the compulsory Heavy Stubber comes out 8 points cheaper than the Avenger plus its compulsory Heavy Flamer. This may change if we get the point decrease that Imperial Knights got.

The Avenger does more consistent damage, but the Battle Cannon, especially when used in pairs to smooth out the swings in die rolls, can usually maintain firepower comparable to a similar number of Avengers while putting out HILARIOUS burst damage on occasion. Some people prefer the Avenger because they like the reliability, and depending on how their dice go and what they need to do, they're likely not wrong.

However, for raw FIREPOWER, the thing that I see doing huge damage over and over and over in my meta is the Dual Battle Cannon.

By the way, you mentioned a World Eaters Army? That's exactly how my friend first fielded his: holding down the backfield for a bunch of WE bikes and a Bloodletter bomb. That was rough to face. I won.....but only because time got called and I was narrowly ahead on points.

Was looking at making the renegade knight as a heavy hitter using the battle cannon, reaper chainsword just in case they get in close. I was thinking of using him as support for the renegade army, running him up with the troops or protecting the 3 basiliks.

Remember, the titanic feet are almost always better than the arm weapons. They are S8 -2 d3 and give extra attacks.

Archived