Best value to beef up army

Hello,

I was given kits for 20 guardsmen, three heavy weapons teams, a Leman Russ, and a Basilisk form a friend who doesn't play anymore. I've always wanted to start a guard army and now I have an excuse. What is the best value/way I should go to beef it up to a larger force? I was thinking either the start collecting or the cadian defence force along with some HQ characters. What would be the best to build a semi-competitive force? And what are the better HQ choices in 8th. Thanks for your help!

Go brigade

Company commander

Lots of basic infantry squads

Bullgryns and priests

Hellhounds

LRBT and Artillery

This is the most basic layout. Add what ever pieces for taste. Guard are great they are so point efficient you can pretty much take even units that are "bad" if you like them as long as you take the basic core of commanders, infantry, and heavy tanks or arty.

It depends a lot on the regiment/playstyle you want to play.

Gunline: Basilisks, leman russes, mortar teams and a load of infantry squads as screen.

Mobile: Hellhounds/guard squads, possibly a bullgryn and priest in a valkyrie. some deepstrike/ambush/dagger plasma squads, veterans or scions.

Mechanised: Chimeras/taurox and guard squads, not really competitive but a lot of fun to play.

Armoured: Leman russes, artillery and a couple screening guard squads. possibly a superheavy, shadowsword or the mega-bolter variant.

I'd say most competitive, probably mortars, basilisk/manticore, leman russes and a boat-load of infantry. Hellhounds have been my MVP multiple games, love them as well.

EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

It is great for picking up cheap bodies, try not to pay more than a £1 a body (often you can get 50-70p a body as well).

Hqs:

company commanders are a must for your infantry and relic

primaris psykers are good

troops:

would ALWAYS recommend at least 6 squads of 10 guard (240points for 60wounds is nothing to sniff at), season with weapons to tasts

elites:

commissars are good now, command squads, platoon commanders for more orders if you are infantry heavy, enginseers if you are tank heavy

fast attack:

hellhounds all the way, BURN THEM ALL!!! *cough* ehem.... they are fun to burn things with

Heavy support:

Mortars are cheap, best leamn russ is the basic battle tank, punisher has its place, but i prefer the base tank, basilisks are always good, manticores. Pretty much the section for fun stuff :)

hope this helps

Welcome to the Guard :tu: As mentioned the core Guard list is troopers so make sure you have a good number of them to hold the line. Then you can spruce it up with tanks or artillery depending on how you want to run your army (or both!). Again, online is a good place to save money (especially on Start Collecting boxes) so that's a good first stop.

Last but not least don't forget to keep us updating on your army's progress :tu: Are they painted? If so will you keep the scheme, or do you have one in mind?

Best HQ are the company commanders and the primaris psyker, ideally you would want to bring multiple command point batteries of 4 inf sqds and 2comp cmd giving each 5cm for only 220pts (barebones).

A detachment of tallarn is good for infiltrating your punishers and mordia i really good for infantry.

My favourite heavy option is a squad of three mortars.

If you end up getting the tanks "new", be aware there are 2 Russ boxes - one for the battle cannon and one for the demolisher.  The demolisher box builds the punisher and plasmacutioner too, so I'd recommend that one over the other.

Or, you know, ebay. :)

Archived