Future Proofing and the Fluff

Hi everyone,

So I have been trolling this site for years and finally created an account a couple of months ago. This is my first post. I was hell bent on playing a Crimson Fist or Blood Angels army. I am in the process of painting my first squad of Blood Angels and then I read The Talon of Horus by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. A Black Legion army is definitely my priority now. I got a hold of the Chaos SM Codex, as well as the Death Guard and Thousand Sons Codex. Now I am conflicted. I want to paint a Black Legion army but I can see myself playing a pure DG or TS army with some of their exclusive units as well. My question is:

Is it more fluffy to paint them all in Black Legion and say that their just a pure DG or TS detachment taking to the battle field by themselves on behalf of the BL using the appropriate codex of course or...

should I paint them as their actual faction colors and just have a bunch of different colors on the table when they fight together as the BL?

I know it's petty and "you can paint them however you want," but this type of thing really bugs me. All I have so far is the DG from the Dark Imperium box set and the Chosen and two characters from Dark Vengeance. I also have 30 MK IV, 20 MK III and an ungodly number of Loyalists SM bits. So I can swing either way. At the end of the day what seems more true to the fluff without having Plague Marines or Rubric Marines  painted up both as BL and their parent faction?

Thank you all for your opinion.

If you want every battle you fight to be your own guys against whoever, then paint the whole collection as black legion. That way, if you want to fight as thousand sons, you have a coherent army; if you want to fight as death guard, you have a coherent army; if you want to fight as a combined force of both, you have a coherent army.

Hi everyone,

So I have been trolling this site for years and finally created an account a couple of months ago. This is my first post. I was hell bent on playing a Crimson Fist or Blood Angels army. I am in the process of painting my first squad of Blood Angels and then I read The Talon of Horus by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. A Black Legion army is definitely my priority now. I got a hold of the Chaos SM Codex, as well as the Death Guard and Thousand Sons Codex. Now I am conflicted. I want to paint a Black Legion army but I can see myself playing a pure DG or TS army with some of their exclusive units as well. My question is:

Is it more fluffy to paint them all in Black Legion and say that their just a pure DG or TS detachment taking to the battle field by themselves on behalf of the BL using the appropriate codex of course or...

should I paint them as their actual faction colors and just have a bunch of different colors on the table when they fight together as the BL?

I know it's petty and "you can paint them however you want," but this type of thing really bugs me. All I have so far is the DG from the Dark Imperium box set and the Chosen and two characters from Dark Vengeance. I also have 30 MK IV, 20 MK III and an ungodly number of Loyalists SM bits. So I can swing either way. At the end of the day what seems more true to the fluff without having Plague Marines or Rubric Marines& painted up both as BL and their parent faction?

Thank you all for your opinion.

First off, welcome.

Secondly: If you're wanting to play Black Legion, I'd say paint everything as Black Legion. What I would do in your case is simple. I'd run the the Death Guard and Thousand Sons as their own detachment for their respective Legion Traits, and the Black Legion in their own detachment as well.

Thanks for the quick responses! That is pretty much what I was thinking. I know other people’s opinions shouldn’t matter, but I just wanted to see if others would think its weird to have a whole DG army painted as BL on the field by itself if I chose to do that one day. I was mostly concerned with the models not in the CSM codex being painted as BL. Once I get them painted I will post pics. Never had my stuff critiqued by anyone other than my wife before.

Thanks for the quick responses! That is pretty much what I was thinking. I know other people’s opinions shouldn’t matter, but I just wanted to see if others would think its weird to have a whole DG army painted as BL on the field by itself if I chose to do that one day. I was mostly concerned with the models not in the CSM codex being painted as BL. Once I get them painted I will post pics. Never had my stuff critiqued by anyone other than my wife before.

No, the Death Guard and Thousand Sons models look quite good in Black Legion colours.

Also: If anyone has issues with the Death Guard at least, the Glooming Lords have almost the EXACT SAME colour scheme as the Bringers of Decay.

GloomingLordsColours.png

BlackLegionBringersofDecay.png

The Glooming Lords just have more verdigris on their bronze/gold trim.

Edit: No idea why the second one is coming in super small....

As a dedicated T-Sons player, I have one squad of Rubrics which are painted in black and gold just because I like the color scheme, with no intent of playing them as Black Legion. I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a gold/black painted dedicated T-Sons army at all. It's a great color scheme.

Yeah, I noticed that they looked super similar. I look forward to fielding a whole army of black Khorne Berzerkers. I'm just trying to decide if I want them to be with Red or black helmets. I think the idea of Chaos being a mixed bag as compared to the Loyalists is whats is the most enticing to me.

Archived