New Edition, New Project

Slyen

Hey Everyone!

Earlier this month I dove back into things after about two years away now. The weekender here in Dallas was great and I ended up picking up Dark Imperium and getting moving on getting the marines together from it.

This weekend I started painting, trying out some new colors for me. So I started with a test marine. I liked it so I started in on the grunts from the box, finishing up the main color on all the Intercessors today. I’m unfortunately forced to rely off links since it doesn’t seem to be very mobile friendly when it comes to getting pictures from the site albumns into a post (that or I might just be that impatient!) so if you’re interested here is a very wip shot of the test marine.

gallery_49726_14710_95261.jpeg

This weekend I started painting, trying out some new colors for me. So I started with a test marine. I liked it so I started in on the grunts from the box, finishing up the main color on all the Intercessors today. I’m unfortunately forced to rely off links since it doesn’t seem to be very mobile friendly when it comes to getting pictures from the site albumns into a post (that or I might just be that impatient!) so if you’re interested here is a very wip shot of the test marine.

First up: Yep Sadly the albums 'quick loader' inst working well at the moment. Site had some server damage last year, efforts are to get it in progress but its slow. 

Second: Great Colors, Look forward to seeing more! 

Update time!

First, thanks for fixing the link to actually show the picture Grotsmasha!

Been working on them pretty non-stop in my free time at home. I started doing the shoulders next for the base coating yesterday. The last models I touched were the two Sergeants, figuring that I should prioritize the line marines over their leaders. Well instead I sat down and wrapped up all the basecoating in one night for the first sergeant, he being the one with the bare head. Ultimately doing the face is the reason I chose to take care of him all at once. I did start going back through and working on the black parts after but I got about 3 marines done and called it a night.

Today I went through and finished the black base coats on the rest of them and found my hand doesn’t like to cooperate. That or I should have done the black first then the flesh tone for the shoulder pads because I keep having to go back and clean up. Oh, and I’ve found I missed tones of spots with the main color and have been filling those in as I go as well. So tonight I took the same approach when I got to the second Sergeant as I did last night and just did him up all at once.

The only thing none of them have complete are the helmet eye lenses because, like for the next step, I need to pick up some new paint to get the look I want. While the Leadbelcher re-activated alright, the color paints have not and even the Leadbelcher is iffy.

Still working out a chapter name. Might have one here soon, kinda torn between a couple to be honest. And without further ado, here are the two new pics!

gallery_49726_14710_824668.jpg

gallery_49726_14710_1032958.jpeg

Good Afternoon!

Last night I finished up the basecoat on both squads and did a bit of cleaning up before calling it a night. Looking at picking up a few of the paints I need tonight on my way home so I can look at just spending the weekend focused on finishing them and hopefully getting started on the Hellblasters.

The one thing I am looking at having to do is replace the Gravis Captain. Unfortunately Spikey bits and swords don’t stand up well to poor transportation and the Texas sun. I think he might be the last model I work on though for what comes in the box though.

Anyway, trying to keep with pictures every update so here is a W.I.P. shot of the two squads!

med_gallery_49726_14710_1969557.jpeg

Normally would want to wait a bit before posting again but pretty hyped up right now. It seems like this scheme is a chore but then I hit a goal point and get super excited and stay with it. I present to you the first “done” marine of this army!

med_gallery_49726_14710_198447.jpeg

Short of some cleaning up because I don’t have a good brush for edge highlighting, basing the model, and giving it organizational markings it’s done. Goal is to knock out the rest of the squad tomorrow.

That said I need to start working on most of the fluff for this chapter. Most important would be Chapter name and badge. I’ve got some ideas on how they operate as a chapter and like what they focus on but otherwise I’m pretty light on stuff. Any suggestions by folks?

Really beautiful scheme!  If you have a printer, making your own decals is really easy and can make the markings a breeze.

As for Chapter names, I've got a couple Chapters in my fluff that have loose affiliations with my Tormentors - you'd be welcome to take one you like - then I can visualize what they look like myself :)

* Oppressors (26th Founding, from Rampagers (2nd) from White Scars)

* Judicators (23rd Founding, from Executioners (2nd) from Imperial Fists)

* Redemptors (5th Founding, Ultramarines)

* Hellguard (8th Founding, Ultramarines)

* Torchbearers (15th Founding, Ultramarines)

* Persecutors (26th Founding, from Torchbearers (15th) from Ultramarines)

* Doom Lords (renegade, 19th Founding, involved in a supporting rebellion during Badab War heresy, mostly dead by now)

* Void Wraiths (23rd Founding, from Death Spectres (13th) from Raven Guard)

Of course, adjust any fluff as you wish - I'm happy to chalk up any fluff divergences to poor recordkeeping on the part of my Chapter Librarium :)

Really beautiful scheme! If you have a printer, making your own decals is really easy and can make the markings a breeze.

As for Chapter names, I've got a couple Chapters in my fluff that have loose affiliations with my Tormentors - you'd be welcome to take one you like - then I can visualize what they look like myself :)

* Oppressors (26th Founding, from Rampagers (2nd) from White Scars)

* Judicators (23rd Founding, from Executioners (2nd) from Imperial Fists)

* Redemptors (5th Founding, Ultramarines)

* Hellguard (8th Founding, Ultramarines)

* Torchbearers (15th Founding, Ultramarines)

* Persecutors (26th Founding, from Torchbearers (15th) from Ultramarines)

* Doom Lords (renegade, 19th Founding, involved in a supporting rebellion during Badab War heresy, mostly dead by now)

* Void Wraiths (23rd Founding, from Death Spectres (13th) from Raven Guard)

Of course, adjust any fluff as you wish - I'm happy to chalk up any fluff divergences to poor recordkeeping on the part of my Chapter Librarium :)

I’ve been thinking about this a lot still on just where to take them and there have been a couple of Cannon Chapters that stood out to me. The first I had thought about it and on a twitch stream these guys got shown off with someone that is also here thinking Soul Drinkers immediately. I got a bug in my ear from that. A follow up to that was today I found the Angels Revenant which have a similar scheme as mine that Forgeworld made up with one of their books (IA: 7 I think? Fall of Orpheus or something like that). They are an Ultramarines Successor surprisingly and would fit if I want to run The Primarch.

Regardless I’m still thinking about it. Probably should go look over in the Index section!

Pretty decent start! Keep it up!

Thanks a lot! It really means a lot.

So next update.

Saturday I got the first squad completed for all intents and purposes. Tonight I finished the highlights on the second squad and brought it up to the same area. All that is left is markings and basing and the later will be the easier part.

I’ve decided to try a lot of new things with these guys. This is the first time doing such hard highlights, the first computer scree, and I’m going to be trying snowy bases. Essentially I plan on following the Urban Winter scheme from the paint app.

Doing a test base now to see how it comes out. One of my big challenges (and you can see it with the face and even the shoulder pads) is the lack of clear guidance on the app. This hurts second to colors don’t flowing as well as they should. So test base to make sure I have it down before I start on the minis.

In the mean time...

gallery_49726_14710_1315806.jpeg

gallery_49726_14710_1194182.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

So July has been a bit of a rough month for me. Mostly the past few weeks I’ve traveled from one end of the country to the other because a family emergency and immediately followed by a work thing. But today I got back into the saddle of things!

That's a neat colour scheme you've got there, Slyen. Keep up with the good work. :tu:

Thanks a lot! I seem to be getting better at it when it comes to speed and the like the more I’ve done though the hating myself over the tedium hasn’t changed much!

So today I finished the basecoats on the Hellblasters from Dark Imperium. There are a few spots that need to be cleaned up but otherwise it’s ready for the next coats. The two big things were that I decided to keep with the red for the face mask on the Sergeant and then also I decided on the plasma color being a green. I’m going to use Caliban Green as a base just like the little screen on the Sergeant’s arm. It’s going to use Warpstone Green and Moot Green on the higher levels and I’m going to try and replicate the traditional blue layering with bright green.

I also started getting my Redemptor Dreadnought together. It’s one of the easy build kits and honestly I really liked it. That said I worked with cork for the first time today to try and add some elevation to it’s base. The plastic pegs help with contact to the cork at least.

med_gallery_49726_14710_975127.jpeg

med_gallery_49726_14710_415701.jpeg

(You can even catch a glimpse of a test base back there!)

Finally, been working on some fluff for these guys. Still a rough draft but I am looking at something along the lines of the following:

The Chapter is made up of predominantly Hersey era Ultramarines who were some of the original Primaris project members. Many in the chapter however had corruption of their data and were simply assumed to be Ultramarines while whispers say that some darker Legionnaires were awoken and integrated into the chapter’s formation. As a result of their age however they utilize some archaic identification markings in place of more modern ones, most notably the Reiver squads use standard Mk X helms (in place of the skull molded ones) bearing the markings of destroyer squads millennia past.

Could use some feedback from folks on the fluff to be sure! Also, has there ever been records of an older founding chapter being disbanded into a newer chapter? Usually the new chapter would fall in on its successor, right?

Good Morning Everyone! Or at least it’s morning here.

Last night I did some more work on my Hellblasters. Got all the cleanup done and the shading last night so it’s not much of an update but it’s still one.

Big point of pride is just how the skin on the Sergeant came off. I wanted some sort of sickly look like the radiation from the plasma was getting to him or that he had mishaps in the past. I looked at Darth Vader’s unmasking for some inspiration along with Genestealer Cultists flesh tones and ended up trying something new.

Anyway here are the pictures and catch you next time!

gallery_49726_14710_1060437.jpeg

gallery_49726_14710_260212.jpeg

Good Afternoon everyone!

I think I just about finished with the Hellblasters now. They just need markings now and for me to determine if their bases should have snow or not. Since I’m here with them I’m also in the process of basing the Intercessors as well.

gallery_49726_14710_483394.jpeg

med_gallery_49726_14710_455159.jpeg

med_gallery_49726_14710_568025.jpg??t=14188209

So what does everyone think? Should I go with the snow or stick with the normal? How did I even do with the snow?

• 3 weeks later...

Man how the month has flown by.

So I still haven’t decided on what to do with the bases. I got a critique back elsewhere that stated they seemed bare without any accruements on them and I should add some scrub or skulls to it. Makes sense and for the most part agree. The snow would be just that but I also did a bit heavier of a dry brush on the Intercessors and it seemed to look less boring than the Hellblasters if that makes sense.

I decided to move onto doing up my first character model instead of deciding which after numerous primer incidents ended up as a Librarian (instead of either Lieutenant, The Ancient, or an Apothecary). While I don’t have any current pictures of his progress basecoating is about done.

It was about this time that I realized the Kill Team I was trying to put together for the Citidel’s launch contains all models I haven’t painted... So I changed gears an am hammering that out.

gallery_49726_14710_1939.jpeg

med_gallery_49726_14710_1089081.jpeg

The squad shot is garbage right now but I think it’ll get better once they are all on bases and are free standing rather than some having to brace against the paint pots. With the bases I’m liking how they came out. I didn’t really go in with much of a plan and had to substitute paints as I went. It’s my first time trying for any sort of industrial look.

Further the inclusion of normal marines into a Kill Team list that is from a chapter that is supposed to be Primaris has got me digging into some fluff writing. I’m thinking the Chapter received a replenishment of the remains of a mixed chapter that was disbanded after severe losses. This Kill Team is made up of many members of that chapter.

Anyway, catch everyone next time!

So I missed getting done in time for the Kill Team event at the Citadel but it was a great time checking out the store. With that said I decided to just take some of my old marines and build them in as part of this chapter. Looking at only a few squads... *nervous chuckle*

Story wise the standard marines (and some of the Primaris) will be survivors of a normal chapter that received Primaris replacements and participated in the Indominus Crusade. As the Crusade ended and the Plague Wars started they were deployed in reclaiming a system and suffered catastrophic loses. The chapter (I’m thinking Desert Hawks, something where tan/ochre makes sense as a primary color and the bird head chapter badge come together) was instead disbanded with the marines being used to replenish the chapter I am painting them as.

Anyway! Picture time!

med_gallery_49726_14710_221177.jpeg

So a bit behind the model. Using the same paints but I used the Black GW primer on this one. As a result, things are noticeably much different. Purple went on smooth still but needed a layer versus a highlight for the first layer to get a similar effect to what I have on the Primaris. Either way it looks alright, almost better in some ways.

The face isn’t done however. Found out I was out of the paint I wanted to use for first layer is pretty much dead. Got a little bit on essentially a wash. That said, I’m kinda happy with where it is at now and then just highlighting from here. Thoughts?

Archived