Anybody use a Company Champion?

necroscope

I made a Company Champion for fun, but I found myself in a situation where I have a 1500 point game coming up against Admech.  I needed a 3rd elite unit and not many points to spend.  My choices were an Ancient or a Champion.  I think I will go with the Champion because I feel like Admech will just blow the Ancient off the board quickly with no invul.  So do any of you still use a Champion and how so?  

He's an non-unique beatstick, of which we have no end really.

He doesn't buff anyone, just hits other characters accurately.

Ancient is fine and can only be shot by snipers or if there is nothing else closer, plus the banner buff is AMAZING.

The banner buff does seem amazing but I can't see how he will stay alive long enough to use it.  The Champion can at least tank a few hits.  Or at least that is what I'm thinking.  

Being a character with less than 10 wounds he cannot be targeted unless he is the closest unit to the enemy.

Use the banner to buff a shooting unit (even using the relic to offer some extra resilience) and he's only vulnerable to snipers.

I should have clarified, since he is one of my regular opponents I know he always runs snipers.  So I thought it would come down to a unit with an ability so good he would be targeted quickly.  Whereas Champion seems like a better Terminator with a worse gun who can't deep strike.  

LOS is your ally in keeping characters safe from snipers. For example, hide behind a vehicle, if no suitable terrain is available. No map should be too sparse on LOS blocking terrain features,IMO. Make those snipers work for the kill :)

^ this

A 5++ save won't give you anything over a 3+ save against AP-2. Keep your squishy characters out of LoS if you're scared to lose them against Sniper, that's really all you can do. AdMech Sniper are one of the strongest in the game due the AP. I wouldn't worry too much against other factions snipers tho.

If you just need to fill an Elites slot Company Veterans are 32pts for 2. 38pts if you put jump packs on them.

And you know what can tank failed saves for friendly Characters?

Company Veterans.

And you know what can get the 5+++ from the banner the ancient is carrying?

Company Veterans.

So take the Ancient, give your dudes some 5+++ goodness, and bring along some Company Vets. Your banner dude will get 5+++, but if he fails that as well, than on a 2+ the Company Vets can take the hit.....and get 5+++ themselves.

Or just take Company Vets with Jump Packs and have a 38pt On WIngs of Fire annoying unit that wins you the game because it's just two dudes.

Archived