Best Chaos Legion

We're about a year into having a Codex. When the book was released, there was a lot of talk about which Legion Trait was best.

Having a year of experience under your belt, wondering if your opinion has changed. What Legion do you consider most powerful?

While I realize a lot of people will instinctively say Alpha Legion, I found it hard to answer this question.

I've predominantly been playing Black Legion. The Legion Traits are useful, but the biggest reason for this is Abaddon. The rerolls to hit and morale immunity auras are too good. I find ways to keep my entire army within his bubble the first few turns, and it often means I'm steamrolling opponents. Also, I'm never really concerned about snipers with Abaddon's ability to halve damage.

At the same time, Alpha Legion's infiltrate and to hit modifiers can't be ignored. I haven't tried it since the last FAQ arrived, but I was happy burning command points to place models up the table for guaranteed first turn charges. Their legion traits affected which models I would take, Havocs were better than Laspreds with this Legion.

Despite other people's concerns, I also found that World Eaters armies can be very powerful, especially when combined with Daemon detachments. Post-FAQ, I spent some time playing Rhino rushes with Bloodletter bombs. Part of me thinks it was the opponents I faced, and part of me thinks it's nostalgia, but this is the army I wanted in 5th edition. The overkill in close combat combined with the charge rerolls lets me clear out entire sections of the board each turn.

Between the three, I'm still convinced Black Legion overall is the most powerful. I get the sense World Eaters could be as powerful, if I wanted to invest 40-or-so games into optimizing my lists. Alpha Legion is very good, but it feels like they are the easy option. They come as advertised and don't overperform.

I will go to my grave defending the viewpoint that the Black Legion isn't a Legion, but a mongrel warband led by an upstart captain ;)

Codex: Cultists and Obliterators seems to work best with Black Legion and Alpha Legion due to Abaddon and Forward Operatives & -1 to Hit. While GW said they wanted to get rid of the Fearless-issue that plagued 7th, giving Abaddon a Fearless bubble really makes him an auto-include in a game where you have to pay 2 CPs to pass a Leadership test if you have the audacity to field a unit larger than 15 bodies. The Alpha Legion Cultist bomb is still good, and MoS Obliterators that are -1 to hit and camping in cover are dynamite. They're not shabby with Khorne Berzerkers either.

Don't get me wrong, lots of things work, from Renegade Bikers to World Eater Rhino Rush, but if you're talking about which Legion is most likely to be reppin' Chaos at the top tables of the LVO, NOVA etc. (if held tomorrow), it's gonna be the Black Legion or the XXth, possibly Thousand Sons due to Deep Striking Cultists and a really strong Psychic Phase. These will be represented with other combinations, such as Death Guard and Daemons.

"Alpha Legion is very good, but it feels like they are the easy option."

Easy option because its the easy answer. Theyre da best

I really like abaddon, but mostly for fearless cultists, which works on AL vanguarding units. Aside from that, not that keen on BL but ive not really tried them in full.

Iron Warriors aren't bad, though. Good relic, good warlord trait for cultist mobs, stratagem is helpful if not awesome, legion trait is...utilitarian, I guess? I lost round three of a tourney this weekend to a guy running Crimson Fists who have the same trait and not being able to pull cover was a pain in the butt.

Word Bearers though, yeah, they're pretty lackluster while Night Lords need to build around the morale bombs to pull off anything spectacular. Even then, a 2CP strat kills that tactic once a turn...

Archived