Manic Plague Mutant to Nurgle Daemon Prince conversion WIP

gitface

Hi Everyone,

So I was looking round for an alternative for a Nurgle Daemon Prince when I came across the Mantic 1st Gen Mutant for the Plague faction of Deadzone and thought this would be a good base as the size seems about right.

http://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/5610.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

The first thing I wanted to do is add some wings, the ones I was thinking of was a set of fly/insect wings as they would fit the nurgle theme.  For this I was considering the Bloat Drone wings but could not find any in stock on the bits sites.  So the plan came to me to have a go and make them from scratch.

Step one was to find an image of a fly/insect that I liked the look of and then tweaked this in photoshop to give me a black and white line drawing to follow and get the size right.  This was then laid over some modeling clay that I spread flat, I wasn't too concerned with getting this completely smooth as it would give some character to the wings.  Then with a sculpting tool I followed the lines tracing the wing onto the clay.  Once done I removed the print and went over to lines to deepen/clean them up.

NurgleDP 005

The two wings are a mirror of each other and the plan is to glue the two together so the structure is the same on both sides.

Next was to pour a thin layer of resin in to my clay mold and wait for it the set.  Normally I would have added some pigment to the resin but since these are just an interim stage I left it clear.

NurgleDP 006

Next was to start to cut and shape the two wings to get rid of the extra resin.

NurgleDP 007

The next two shots are a mock up on the back of the Plague Mutant to get an idea of size and scale to make sure everything looks OK.

NurgleDP 001

NurgleDP 002

The next step now is to make a silicon mold of these so I can make as many sets as I need.  Looking at the I am probably going to have to use a bit of greenstuff/milliput on the edge of the wings to neaten them up as well as adding a bit of distress.

Things on the todo list:
  • Alter the pose a little.
  • Change the head as the supplied looks a little small.
  • Maybe add a loin cloth or leg plates (undecided on this at the mo)

An just for laughs I tried them on the back of my Hellbrute I'm working on, even though they'll serve no game purpose to make it look a bit different.

NurgleDP 004

NurgleDP 003

Nice model to use as a base. It’s got the horns coming out of it which is very Nurgle. I also like the big cavity where the head is which is also a bit like the Helbrute. What heads are you thinking? Are you going to go down the fly route?

Those wings your making are coming out great. I like the way your tracing an actual fly wing to make it. That’s great attention to detail. I’ve made some wings myself out of clear plastic take away containers.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346775-krakendoomcool’s-nurgle-csm-wip-inquisitor-martyr-helbrute/

It’s great you can recast them, so they could be on the Helbrute if you wanted!

I love the choice of model, it looks wicked, a really good base to build on. It looks beefy, do you think you will go for a decaying muscular prince or are you going to make this guy fatter?

The wing idea is great, casting them in clear resin. Looking at the other nurgle models like the blight drones and Mortarion for continuity in the detail work will really make thos look awesome with a bit of green stuff and drilling pock marks.

Very excited to see this guy progress!

Nice model to use as a base. It’s got the horns coming out of it which is very Nurgle. I also like the big cavity where the head is which is also a bit like the Helbrute. What heads are you thinking? Are you going to go down the fly route?

[snip]

For the head I'm going to try the fly head from the plague drone and got two on the way, will have to fit them and see how they look and if I need to do anything to them eg add some horns/spikes.

I love the choice of model, it looks wicked, a really good base to build on. It looks beefy, do you think you will go for a decaying muscular prince or are you going to make this guy fatter?

The wing idea is great, casting them in clear resin. Looking at the other nurgle models like the blight drones and Mortarion for continuity in the detail work will really make thos look awesome with a bit of green stuff and drilling pock marks.

Very excited to see this guy progress!

I'll be leaving him more muscular.  As for the wings the final versions will be cast with a pigment as I've got an idea to do the wings with some a blend of pearlescent paints which being able to cast the wings give me a chance to practice.

Archived