First WIP: Salamander's 3rd Company--The Pyroclasts

AnImA8

The Concept
Hey all! Starting up my first WIP project: The Pyroclasts! This project is going to follow Captain Adrax Agatone and two of his trusted lieutenants. They'll be leading a battalion of the 3rd, 4th, and 7th battleline squads along with a spearhead granted by the Masters of the Forge, and a squad of battle brothers from the Firedrakes. Their campaign takes them to the snowy realms of a Hoth-like planet called Snær. I'll update this later with the names of the other members of the campaign.

The List
Pyroclast Battalion
Captain Adrax Agatone: /w the Teeth of Terra, master-crafted boltgun, and a bolt pistol
Lieutenant: /w power maul, master-crafted boltgun, and bolt pistol

3rd Tactical Squad (5): /w meltagun, 3x bolters, and sergeant: /w combi-flamer
Razorback: /w twin assault cannons
4th Tactical Squad (5): /w meltagun, 3x bolters, and sergeant: /w combi-flamer
7th Tactical Squad (5): /w meltagun, 3x bolters, and sergeant: /w combi-flamer

Dreadnought: /w twin lascannons, dreadnought close combat weapon, and storm bolter
Dreadnought: /w twin lascannons, dreadnought close combat weapon, and storm bolter
Assault Terminators (Firedrakes): /w thunder hammers and storm shields

Masters of the Forge Spearhead
Lieutenant: /w power maul, master-crafted boltgun, and bolt pistol

Vindicator
Vindicator
Land Raider

So far I've acquired a SM's starter box (captain in terminator armor, tactical squad, and a dreadnought), a 2nd squad of tacticals, and a razorback. Still a long ways to go, but I'll update with every new purchase.

The Scheme
I've been reading through the new codex, and I'm going to try and adhere pretty strictly to the color schema laid out by the codex including the varying colored designations for sergeants, veterans, and lieutenants. Obviously green and black are going to be the primary colors for the army. I got some forgeworld shoulder pads with the raised Salamander head (so cool looking! :biggrin.: ). The Pyroclasts will have an orange colored Salamander head on their left pauldron while the Terminators from the Firedrakes will have white Salamander heads to represent their company. Every member of a squad will have flames on their right shoulder with the number designation for their squad (some might also have their squad number on their left knee). And lastly all units will feature a campaign symbol to unify the varying companies under Agatone's command.

The first model I've worked on so far is a meltagunner. As you can see I'm using the forgeworld shoulder pads, and I've got the orange salamander head on the black shoulder to signify that he's a member of the 3rd Company. I jumped the gun on this one and so didn't have Lahmian Medium, and didn't really thin the paints at all, but it's decent representation of what the rest of the army will likely look like. Certainly no Golden Demon winner lol XD

IMG 0088

This is the other side of the same model to show how I'm going to delineate between the different squads. This meltagunner is a member of the 3rd Tactical Squad

IMG 0089

Here's a close up of the campaign badge I've added to the right knee pad. I felt that since this campaign will be fought across the Tundra's of this fictional planet Snær, the snow seemed appropriate.

8AEC43AC 8DCF 4562 8AD5 1C5F1F7CE768

And last is a shot of my second model alongside the first. This time I actually had some Lahmian Medium to thin the paints and I think my highlighting was a bit cleaner. I also decided to use a Guilliman Blue glaze to make the green armor a bit cooler. Once I have some Woodland Scenic rocks, I'll be basing these guys with rock, snow flock, and GW's white texture paint.

IMG 0086

No real interest in Primaris marines, at least not at the moment. I'm sure I'll come around to them, but for now I've playtested this army by proxy and it's a helluva lot of fun as it is :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good brother hope you continue the good work, you should experiment with using red and or blue shades on the green i'm looking at drakenhoth nightshade for my salamanders currently.

Looking good brother hope you continue the good work, you should experiment with using red and or blue shades on the green i'm looking at drakenhoth nightshade for my salamanders currently.

You know, it's funny you say that! I've started experimenting with using the green shade (I find Nuln Oil just makes things look dirty rather than "darker"), BUT I've started also using the blue glaze that GW makes, and it's pretty incredible how "cool" it makes the armor look. I've been watching the WHTV videos on painting techniques and how to use their products, and I'm pretty impressed so far. I'll post pictures once 3rd squad is complete and you guys can tell me what you think :smile.:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! The process I've settled on looks like:

Base: Caliban -> Layer: Warpstone -> Shade: Biel-Tan Green -> Layer (Highlight): Moot Green -> Glaze: Guilliman Blue

So For I've found I'm liking that ordering and shades of color the most. 

Here's a pictures of the latest model with the basing now:

IMG 0143

So far I'm loving that Valhallan Blizzard!

• 1 month later...

The 3rd Squad is finally assembled, lead by Brother Sergeant Kor'Eth!

gallery_64960_14734_343503.jpg

So far the free-handing has been a lot of fun. I think the Sergeant is certainly the best of the whole lot, but I need a lot more practice with that Salamander's insignia on the loin cloth if I want to put that on other characters lol. I apologize for the size of the picture btw, for whatever reason the system is not letting me post things from my Gallery like I did before (instead I'm having to copy and paste the link).

Here's the Sergeant's shoulder:

gallery_64960_14734_174863.jpg

And the Flame iconography:

gallery_64960_14734_197057.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived