Thought Experiment: Chaos Squats

Charlo

So I'm looking to getting into AoS with the Chaos Dwarves and their awesome models.

Trying to think of the best way to make these guys into a functioning "dual system" army.

Currently, I'm thinking if I make all the artillery and such into daemon engines they can pull double duty with the rules for such things being quite flexible - however I'm kinda stuck on the basic shooty infantry!

I don't think a normal Chaos Marine quite captures it... I've considered 1KSons perhaps? They get nice guns and some good resilience to small-arms!

What would you guys consider some cool and interesting count as?

Happy to consider daemons too etc! For one I'll be using some Bull-themed Soul Grinders in AoS as they are Brutal.

It seems to me that RaH would likely be the best army for a bunch of technologically advanced chaos dwarves.

With that said, T'sons are a pretty shoot army and they do also have the ability to shrug off small arms fire so that's good, but they rely heavily on sorcerers and psychic powers. I'm not saying that you can't play sorcerers in your army, but it doesn't really fit the theme of physically inferior dwarves using insane tech to bridge the gap between their physical inabilities.

Word beareres are a solid choice as far as fluffiness and synergy goes in regards to daemon engines. With that said though, they really don't have much of anything going for them other than better summoning so....

Emperor's children would let you take noise marines as normal units. Since they have access to one of the best shooting based strategems, a durability enhancing psychic power, and to top it all off, since they have access to sonic dreadnoughts, they're an undeniably suitable choice.

Iron Warriors is an insanely fluffy and appropriate choice for an army of teched out dwarves. Their ability to ignore cover makes normal shooting units significantly better and they can take units from any cult. That would allow you to take rubric Marines or noise Marines for high power shooting infantry. They also have a stratagem that makes their units more durabable, but it's only marginally.

Honestly, based off of how you've described how you want your army to work so far, I'd either go with Iron Warriors or Emperor's Children. Iron Warriors because they're an army that give normal shooting units a pretty solid bump along with having a stratagem that marginally improves durability and being able to go with any of the chaos gods. Emperor's children because they can take one of the best shooting units in the CSM codex as a troop, have access to sonic dreads, and have access to a very solid durability enhancing psychic power.

That's just my opinion based off of the four legions that came to mind when you mentioned how you want to play your dwarves, so take it with a grain of salt.

Great ideas Slan Drakkos - similar to what I considered.

IW do seem pretty good, getting access to cult troops as well as anything else and can be marked as appropriate for any stratagems etc...!

Archived