Beating Magnus help with tournament

Hey all, my group of friends has been doing a "tournament of power" to figure out our local meta standings. It's pretty silly but the idea was to create some pretty dead 'ard lists. I've been fielding my catachans and have made it to the final round where I'm facing a thousand sons list with Magnus and I'm wondering if there is any tricks you all can offer other than just targeting Magnus with all the guns. This list just beat our friends knight list which I thought would beat Magnus as some of those forge world knights are scary!

Besides Magnus he has a Leviathan with grav and butcher cannon, 2 10 man rubrics, 30 goats, a shaman, a couple of sorcerers, and a giant warp beast thing. I'm not really scared of much other than Magnus tbh

I'm bringing a bunch of infantry (7 squads), 2 psykers, a punsiher tank commander, some bullgryn, a priest, 3 scout sentinels, harker, and 3 commanders. But the real kicker is 2 basilisks, a Russ, and a shadowsword to boot. (Harker also hangs out nearby!)

If I get first turn I feel like I can blow up Magnus no problem, however if I go second and he is able to power up he will be at a -1 to be hit and a 3++ which means that all of my big guns are hitting on 5s and only 1/3 will actually go through. How do I deal with this? Is it just an application of as much dakka as possible? Any strategems other than "vengence for cadia" that I need to remember to use? Any help will be appreciated as I want to claim the cheeseiest tier one list for the guard!

Remember to use the aerial spotter strat on a basilisk. It lets you reroll all failed hit rolls.

Other than that I think it will just be a case of throwing dice at him. Make sure you think about the order that the units fire in just in case you kill him sooner than you expect. You don’t want to have to waste a shadowsword on a chaff unit because you’ve run out of suitable targets for it :)

TBH Magnus isn't that difficult to take out even with his 3++

If you can shield your Shadowsword for long enough to shoot at him 1 round of shooting should be enough to take him out

Bullgryns don't fare so well against him as he's a beast in CC plus he does auto 6 mortal wound smite

You are just going to have to throw buckets of dice at magnus, he no longer has the re-roll 1s with invulnerable saves (thank god!). Or you can do the "magnus is going to be hard to kill, lets wipe out the rest of his army" The shadowsword can easily 1 volley the leviathan.

DO NOT FORGET YOUR CATACHAN RE-ROLLs!! <-Tip number 1  

The bobby trap stratagem could also work, mortal wounds always help vs magnus. 

Good luck!

Turn that Russ into a Conqueror. Rerolls number of shots, then within 24" you get to reroll EVERY MISS with the main cannon. Also, more russes over Basilisks. At the end of the day, Magnus has a 4+ invuln and a T7, the Basilisk nets you absolutely nothing over the Conq Battlecannon. Ditch the Tank Commander, he's easy points for the enemy, and get yourself some Punisher Vultures and shuttle more points into upgrading those Basilisks to more Conq Russes. Personally I'd dump the Bullgryns too to get more Russes or a second Punisher Vulture.

@Tirak, he can't change lists due to the tournament format.

I think halfpint has the right idea, if you don't think you can take him out effectively, just kill the rest of his army, looks pretty easy to do. How much can magnus really do if you bubble wrap well.

Yeah bubble wrapping is gonna be key, I'll try to make it so there isn't enough room to even put his base down that way his smite is just hitting guardsmen (oh no!)

I'm just terrified that his invuln saves are gonna be on point and will just bounce off of him. I guess if that happens though I'm losing no matter what huh. Time to start sacrificing to the dice Gods!!

Thanks all

As silly as it sounds I’d be worried about those goat boys. If he deepstrikes them in, with a brayhorn they’re likely to make their charge, and they can put out a lot of attacks, plus he can buff them up and blow CP to have them fight again. It’ll chew through a lot of chaff quickly, or make those LRs and basilisk useless

How did he get so close to you T1? Did he warp time? Even if so, you should have had 24” in between you, so to charge the SS at the back line he would have been out of range?

Smite + doombolt + warptime were his 3 powers cast? Just trying to figure out how he pulled off that much damage in 1 turn.

Sounds like his dice played a big roll in that too

I wouldn't be too demoralized first turn is huge this edition.

At least you know how you could improve your deployment I'd give it another shot.

I'm running catachan so no overlapping fields of fire. I still think catachan are better (fan boy here) but overlapping fields & the relic of lost cadia would definitely have helped a ton

As for how he got there, started a bit more than 24" probably around 28". He flies forward 16" he did the pick a point power thing & something else, then he got warptimed by someone else another 16" into the hole he created by wiping out 17 infantry. Then he used smite. My shadowsword was touching the back of the map but i shoulda had it facing sideways for a couple of extra inches. It was a 7 or so inch charge but he rolled 10 so it wouldn't matter too much because he had a 46" range at that point :sad.:. Lesson learned: wrap that shadowsword as much as physically possible, no fewer than your entire army will do :tongue.:

the dice were interesting because he actually failed with a lot of other powers from his sorcerers but then he just started rolling with magnus and almost rolled optimally from then on

Oh an also I learned that Magnus ISN'T titanic, i had him pull out the codex to prove it. Apparently 20 wounds is the threshold and Magnus only has 18, who knew

No army should be that good during the psychic phase, it wildly imbalances things. Especially as the psyker heavy armies don’t seem to pay for it with weaknesses in other areas of the game.

Commiserations brother, but there’s not much you can do against that kind of power.

Archived