Stratagem Cognid Heavy Stubbers + Relentless Advance = ?

The Stratagem Cognis Heavy Stubbers allows the Heavy Stubbers in a Questor Mechanicus Detachment to shoot after advancing at a -2 to hit, however, the Relentless Advance Household tactic (Raven) makes heavy weapons count as Assault Weapon when you Advance and shoot at no penalty.

So, which is it? A -2 to hit or no penalty? Or is it -2 to hit yet fire Overwatch at normal BS?

Let’s discuss.

SJ

That's a very weird one SJ...

It looks as though you're kinda penalising yourself by taking this in some instances?

'All heavy stubbers equipped on QUESTOR MECHANICUS models in that Detachment gain the following ability: ‘You can fire this weapon even if the bearer Advanced this turn, but you must subtract 2 from the hit rolls if you do so. When firing Overwatch with this weapon, the attacks are resolved using the firing model’s Ballistic Skill. You can re-roll failed hit rolls for this weapon if the bearer Advanced this turn and has the Relentless Advance Household Tradition (pg 107)'

Purely RAW, because it specifically calls out the Relentless Advance Tradition in the text, I'm inclined to think you actually have to suck up the -2 to hit after advancing mentioned in the Strat, in exchange for being able to re-roll failed hits and better Overwatch? This seems of reasonably dubious usefulness, but it's certainly how it reads.

I have to wonder if it's just very badly written, and the intent is that you gain the normal Raven 'No penalty' AND get to re-roll fails etc (which would make more sense to me), but it does nothing to make that clear does it?

One for the rule team I'd say - it's either really really badly worded, or quite poorly thought out O.o

Archived