Tallarn Shadowsword Supreme Command

Has anyone run Tallarn Shadowswords or Tallarn tank commanders? How good is the Get Around Behind Them tank order?

3x Tank Commander and a Shadowsword fits nicely in a Supreme Command, and the Shadowsword is protected T1 with Ambush. If the table has enough LOS blocking the TCs can abuse by moving into LOS, shooting and scooting back out of LOS. Enough extra HQ slots and even an elite slot for Primaris Psykers and/or astropaths for psychic buffs.

Thoughts? Would really like to hear from anyone who has run Tallarn tank commanders, they seem great in theory but perhaps the Cadian or Catachan rerolls are just way better?

The best Super Heavies are actually Vostroyan, thanks to the +1BS strategy. When you're tossing the dice on Superheavies, you lose a bit out of the Catachan reroll and it is much more powerful than the reroll 1s when stationary. Get Around Behind Them certainly has merit as a defensive option, though at my club first turn defense has only recently become a problem with the Tau Codex being released. With that said, Tank Commanders in general are a waste of points, as the ability to move and fire is made mostly worthless thanks to Grinding Advance not triggering if you make full use of your speed. The idea of playing the LoS game seems appealing, until you realize just how easy it is to get line of sight on a Leman Russ because every part of the model counts. At the end of the day, Tallarn comes out as rather lackluster compared to the Big Cs.

The main draw for Tallarn for me is the perfect protection for the Shadowsword T1. Pretty much every decent competitive list has the ability to nuke a Shadowsword turn one so it almost doesn't really matter how good the offensive buffs are to a dead tank. So I'm either considering a Tallarn Shadowsword by itself in a Super Heavy Aux but was wondering if the Tallarn TC's are worth taking.

I play a tallarn tank commander in my 1000p games, where he fits in nicely and often doesn't get targeted turn one because i have hellhounds running up the board. The bs 3+ is really nice, but i end up using the reroll 1's more than the move stratagem. 3 tank commanders would be great, but you need stuff pushing up the board that are dangerous for the enemy. That's my favorite part of 3 hellhounds, opponents want to shoot the bastards down asap. It's one of the few units we have that decide what the opponent needs to shoot at. 

Get Around Behind them is great since it doesn't count for grinding advance. You can maintain mobility (actually you go slightly faster) without losing firepower.

For tank commanders in general, you need other high priority threats, or a single one is dead quickly. If you bring 3, expect one to live, with another one only being crippled if you get lucky. You can also boost the survivability of whichever one lives by combining psychic barrier, nightshroud, and the order to shoot and pop smoke turn one. -2 to hit goes a long way, especially against tau and other IG.

Personally I bring one tallarn punisher commander with 3 heavy bolters. With dedicated psychic and repair support, and some bigger targets (Kastellan Robots with Cawl being the biggest) I've only lost the tank before turn 5 once. Pro Tip: Don't let Death Company with thunder hammers charge your tanks.

I do a supreme command detatchment tallarn 2 primaris psychers 1 lord commissar and a bare bones shadowsword. The protection for the shadowsword offering 1 good shot with it is the point of the thing. The psychers outflanking provide defensive buffs to the shadowsword or backfield annoyance smites as needed. The commissar plays fine with my catachan batallion protecting my trio of manticores. 4 and 0 so far! There is also a battalion of blood angels thrown in there for board cover and counter charge

Archived