Punisher Vs Vulture?

Glute

So I'm thinking about bringing a Vulture vs Punisher (Not Pask or Tank Commander) and here is what I see as differences when targeting infantry units.  Tell me where I'm wrong here or other thoughts?

It appears to me that the Vulture is about 10 pts more than Punisher but the Vulture has some added benefits:  -1 to hit,  Tactical bombs, larger move distance to get within 24" for  Gatling cannon.  Adding a Officer of the fleet could increase number of hits.

Both hit on 4's (50% rate against non-flying models).   The Vulture gets a -1 for moving and shooting a heavy but gets a +1 for targeting units that don't fly.

Punisher will get 40 shots with Grinding Advance) - Vulture get 40 shots with twin gatling cannon.  So that's the same but benefit is to Vulture because movement distance.

Both would wound the same for T3/T4 models.

Punisher may get Regiment buff (depending on which one...)

I think they’ll both perform quite similarly to each other in terms of offensive fire. Personally though, I I’d probably take the punisher because it will be much easier to hide it if I need to and it’s T8 as opposed to T7 like the vulture, plus the tank can take orders if you get a tank commander and benefits from a regimental doctrine.

They’re pretty minor differences though and a case can easily be made that the greater move distance and hard to hit rules outweigh the lower toughness. For me though, I’d probably go with the tank.

The Vulture also is Heavy 40, which means if it gets assaulted, it still gets to shoot all its weapons. Combined with the +1 Overwatch Stratagem, Vultures make great blockers. Also, because of its supersonic rule, only flyers get to assault them, I've had a great deal of luck simply planting my vultures in front of the enemy and stopping melee hordes from getting in close.

Vultures survive better, they deal damage better and they get where they need to be better, they are flat out superior to the Punisher Tank and if you have the option to bring them, you should. I run them in pairs and they always are incredibly effective.

Archived