Khorne Conversions... Drag Feet or Charge Ahead

Not sure where to put this, but this seemed like maybe the best bet.

Tiny bit of background: just got back into 40k after maybe 4 years of hiatus. My main army is Space Wolves fallen to Khorne. Original inspiration came from b&c's Dornian Heresy way back in 2010. I liked the flavor and it let me build 2ish armies in 1; i could field them as Wolves or CSM. 

So back in the hobby and looking for a project. Loving the Age of Sigmar Khorne stuff and thinking about converting them into Berzerkers/Blood Claws, mostly because the Berzerker box is old and in my opinion, real bad. Either Blood Warriors or Skullreapers, or some combination. Throw some chain axes on them, give them some wolf pelts, you know the drill. 

Sounds great. Then I start getting some doubts. I keep hearing whispers that Black Legion is getting a rework, maybe even this calendar year, and with that may come some much needed revisions to some CSM kits, maybe even Zerkers. On top of that the Wolves codex is due out soon, and with that may come some cool new kit or upgrade sprue I could have used to make them even sweeter. I'm just afraid ill put the last drop of paint on them right as an amazing looking new Zerker or Wulfen or whatever box gets leaked.

So what would you do? Say screw it and put together what will, no matter what, be a really cool addition to the army? Or would you hold off and wait for some news? Thanks alot! 

I think it's hard to make plans around rumours, but i sympathise with not wanting to commit to a big kitbash/conversion project if an "official" replacement is around the corner.

My personal feeling is that any new Berserker kit would accompany the inevitable Codex: World Eaters rather than any update to the core CSM range, just because it makes more sense. If you look to the Thousand Sons and Death Guard releases as a guide, we saw redesigned Rubrics and Plague Marines come alongside other elements from those armies (Cult Terminators, Primarchs etc), not as part of a CSM refresh.

And while that Codex could be out this year, I feel like the signs (from Rumour Engine posts, as well as background developments in both 40k and AoS) are pointing towards Slaanesh/Emperor's Children being this year's big Chaos release. 

TL;DR - I think you'll be waiting until Autumn 2019 for a new Berserker kit, but that's my personal interpretation, not solid facts.

I have to be honest, I am doing the same thing, I have some great Berserker Reiver conversion ideas, but keep dragging my feet because I know I will love what we get in our codex, and I am so slow that they will be coming out right as I finish...

That being said, Charge ahead! If you really like what GW comes out with, buy it and run it along side your conversions!

If you own the minis and would otherwise not use them or prefer not to sell them, I say go for it. The process is fun/rewarding, in and of itself. I wouldn’t spend money on doing it, though.

Archived