Using brass scorpions in small scale games.

Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinions on using a brass scorpion in low pt games COMPETITIVELY. So, the Scorpion is a whopping 650 pts (thank you chapter approved), and is armed with 3 ranged weapons: the soulshatter bombard (D6 str 12 ap-3 Dd6 (2d6 against vehicles and monsters) 24”)

The scorpion cannon (10 str 6 ap-2 D2 36”)

And the twin hellmaw blasters (pistol 2d6 str user ap-2 D1 8”)

In melee str 14 ap-4 D6 with 8 attacks.

However it does degrade losing moving and effectiveness in melee combat. But the shooting remains mostly intact (flamer gets weaker).

Anyway, it is fairly fast 12” move and 3d6” charge. But has only 20 wounds, a 3+/5++ and can’t be buffed with psychic powers.

But the best thing about it is, it’s targetable by the CSM strategem: DAEMONFORGE- allowing rerolls of all hits and wounds in either shooting or assault for a measly command point! This allows you to wipe out a knight titan in 1 turn of shooting pretty much.

So.. in a 1000 pts- command pts are limited since 650 pts will be the scorp. That leaves 350 to play around with.

This is where I need your help/advice/critiques gentlespawn. I can easily fit in a mixed csm/tzeentch daemons batallion with a Warpsmith thrown in. I was thinking:

The changeling

1 squad of brimstones and 2 squads of pinks

Alpha legion tzeentch warpsmith.

Make the scorpion alpha legion.

The plan is to use the command points on DAEMONFORGE to kill targets that can put the hurt on the scorpion with the Warpsmith running behind healing the scorp. The changeling and horrors hang back and hold objs, or spend a CP to deepstrike a unit of horrors to grab/contest a further obj.

Any suggestions/weaknesses/improvements?

Actually have some experience in seeing one of these in "low" point games (and just in general).

They are bloody scary models and their points cost makes sense IMO, they are SO destructive.

Basically, if it is competitive then I imagine you'll be up against both armies you murder your way through or just have the scorp blown up and lose!

Archived