hobbying 30k and 40k Marines - XII & XIII Legion

Gang Zu

Hello together,

I have been watching this site and your army-logs for a long time and have now decided to show the results of intense hobby-watching addiction look like!

Just a short introduction:

I started 40k back in 1998 and I imediately fell in love with Space Marines. My mate and my brother picked the "coolest" sounding Chapters, so I was left with Ultramarines - it siuted my preference of blue anyway, but there were no special rules...

During the years, until now, I made some trips into other-chapters-land, but always came back home to my home-country of Ultramar and so the army grew and grew until I decided to strip every single model of colour and re-build them to match my current understanding of paining and the amount of cool bits I collected in my bitsbox.

With the release of 30K, especially the Battle at Calth box, I also started a World Eaters Legion and also started to build 30k elements for my Ultramarines collection.

I am not a competative player and I love the hobby aspect of Warhammer 30/40K and have a small gaming group of old friends, who started with me back in the days.

To make a long story short: this will be a mixed log of my Space Marines collections and I will try my best to post things in a reasonable and proper order, so you can enjoy following.

I am looking forward to you participating and helping me with improving my painting skills and the joy of being able to work on my projects with a community of excelent painters and builders who are interested in each others work!

I will post a list of things I own, so you get the impression of my collection and what to expect in this log.

Best regards Gang Zu

I also have some 40k Blood Angels and Chaos Space Marines, I inherited from my brother, when his wife got pregnant. The Angels are sitting around in a box and the Chaos Marines have been built to Night Lords, but this project is on ice until I've finished the Ultramarines and World Eaters ;)

I had time to make the list of minis I posess:

Ultramarines 40k:

- Roboute Guilliman

- Marneus Calgar (Servo and Terminator armour)

- 2 Honour Guard

- Chapter Champion

- Chapter Ancient

- Scriptor Tigurius (oldschool metal mini)

- Chaplain Cassius (count as conversion)

- Captain Sicarius / Captain: Reliq Blade, Storm Shield (count as conversion)

- Captain: Servo Armour, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield (conversion)

- Captain Agemann (count as) Terminator Armour, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

- Lieutenant: Power Sword, Combiplasmagun (conversion)

- Chaplain with Jumppack (conversion)

- Chaplain on Bike (conversion)

- Chaplain in Terminator Armour (conversion)

- Techmarine: Servo Harness

- Techmarine: Conversion Beamer (conversion)

- 4 Servitors: 2x Heavy Bolter

- 3 Company Veterans: 3x Storm Shield, 2x Thunder Hammer, Power Sword

- 5 Company Veterans: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Meltagun, Combimelta, Power Sword

- Apothecary

- 5 Scouts: Close Combat Weapons

- 6 Scouts: 5x Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher

- 5 Scouts: 4x Sniper Rifle, Heavy Bolter

- 10 Tacticals: Combimelta, Power Sword, Meltagun, Gravcannon

- 10 Tacticals: Combimelta, Power Sword, Meltagun, Gravcannon

- 10 Tacticals: Combiplasma, Plasmagun, Ricket Launcher

- 10 Tacticals: Combiplasma, Plasmagun, Ricket Launcher

- 10 Tacticals: Combiflamer, Power Sword, Flamer, Heavy Bolter

- 10 Tacticals: Combiflamer, Power Sword, Flamer, Heavy Bolter

- 3 Rhinos

- 3 Drop Pods

- Razorback: Twin Lascannon

- Razorback: Lascannon, Twin Plasmagun

- Landspeeder: Cyclone Rocket Launcher, Heavy Bolter

- 2 Landspeeder: Multi Melta

- Whirlwind

- Vindicator

- Landraider

- landraider Crusader

- 10 Assault Marines: Power Fist, 3x Plasma Pistol

- 10 Assault Marines: Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, 2x Flamer

- 5 Bikes: Power Sword, Combigrav, 2x Gravgun

- Attack Bike: Multi Melta

- 5 Vanguard Veterans: Reliq Blade, Pair of Lightning Claws, Power Axe, Grav Pistol, Power Sword, Power Sword, 3x Storm Shield

- 5 Sternguard Veterans: Power Sword

- 5 Sternguard Veterans: Power Sword, 2x Heavy Flamer, 2x Combiflamer

- 10 Terminators: Assault Cannon, Cyclone Rocket Launcher

- 5 Terminators: Heavy Flamer

- Dreadnought: Multi Melta

- Dreadnought: Twin Lascannon,Rocket Launcher

- Venerable Dreadnought: Assault Cannon

- 6 Devastators: 4x Heavy Bolter

- 6 Devastators: 4x Lascannon

- 6 Devastators: 4x Rocket Launcher

- 6 Devastators: 4x Gravcannon

Ultramarines 30k:

- Captain Ventanus (count as conversion)

- Preator: Tartaros Armour: Paragon Blade, Combimelta

- 4 Legion Command Squad: Tartaros Armour, Plasma Blaster, 2x Lighning Claw, Chain Fist

- Master of Signal

- Apothecary

- 10 Veteran Tacticals: Power Sword, Combimelta, 2x Meltagun

- 10 Veteran Tacticals: Power Sword, Combiplasma, 2x Plasmagun

- 10 Breacher: Thunder Hammer, 2x Meltagun, 7x Power Sword

- 7 Tactical Support: 7x Plasmagun

- 2 Rapier Quad Launcher

World Eaters 30K:

- Preator: Cataphractii Armour, Paragon Blade, Volkite Charger

- 10 Terminators: Cataphractii Armour, Thunder Hammer, Pair of Lightning Claws, Heavy Flamer, 8x Combiweapons, 2x Power Fist, Chainfist, 5x Power Weapons

- Garlan Surlak (count as conversion)

- Apothecary

- 10 Veteran Tacticals: Combiflamer, Power Fist, 2x Flamer

- 10 Vetreran Tacticals: Combimelta, Power Sword, 2x Meltagun

- 2 Rhinos

- Contemptor Mortis: 2x Assault cannon

- Contemptor Cortus: 2x Close Combat Weapon

- Spartan Assault Tank

- 20 Augmented Inductii: Power Sword, Vexilla

- 15 Augmented Inductii: Power Sword, Plasma Pistol (need to be assembled)

This should roughly be all the minis of my XII and XIII Legions. I might have forgotten some, but they will appear during the course of the log - and maybe one or the other side projecs like Death Watch and Inquisition.

I will take as much pics as possible, befor I seriously start with the paintwork so you can see how i converted them - they will mostly be of the squads, but feel free to comment and ask for closeups. I am also open for criticism!

Looking forward to this!

Quite the collection! Please do post some pics when you can!

Thanks for the interest!

I took some pics this morning befor leaving home to go to work. The first pics are from my command-elements and elite-sections - I just noticed I didn't list some of the characters I took photots of above and also forgot to complete the elite-section with the Dreadnoughts.

Here they are:

gallery_114699_14784_178392.jpg

Guilliman front

gallery_114699_14784_316312.jpg

Guilliman right

gallery_114699_14784_354958.jpg

Guilliman left

gallery_114699_14784_415578.jpg

Guilliman back

I removed some of the flourish to de-AOS him a bit and also filled the gaps between the armour-segments, because I felt he looked more like a cyborg-thing, more than a Primarch wearing an armour. Also the pose was a bit over the top, with him standing open leged beween those stone and it felt unnatural for a battle-pose. I also changed the head of the dead Chaos Marine on the ground and removed some of the extra detail, as I prefer a more neutral look of betrayer marines, even if the fluff says they are corrupting more and more.

gallery_114699_14784_32841.jpg

Named Characters

The mini on the far right is my interpretation of Chaplain Cassius. As I am rebuilding my Ultramarines collection I thought he shouldn't be missing.

gallery_114699_14784_1516001.jpg

Other HQs:

The Terminator armour wearing Chaplain and Librarian are still in colour, as I am not sure if I should repaint them and I qulite like how they look. I will see how things go on with the rest of the army and if they look too different I will give them a shot :wink:

gallery_114699_14784_436272.jpg

Captains of the Chapter:

from left to right - my interpretation of Captain Aggeman of the 1st. Company, also my conversion of Sicarius, Captain of the 2nd. Company / Captain with Reliq Blade and Storm Shield, last Captain of the 3rd. Company. I lnow they don't fit into the current fluff shown in the Codexes, but I prefer forging my own narrative based on the fluff of Warhammer 40k

gallery_114699_14784_569566.jpg

Captains right

gallery_114699_14784_655897.jpg

Captains left

gallery_114699_14784_31668.jpg

Support Officers

gallery_114699_14784_647615.jpg

Chaplain on Bike - also quite basic painting but happy with how he looks like and don't want to rework him ^^

gallery_114699_14784_290082.jpg

Chapter Honour Guard - still need to remove the colour from the Ancient

gallery_114699_14784_99516.jpg

2nd. Company Command Squad / Company Veterans, Ancient and Apothecary

gallery_114699_14784_60835.jpg

3rd. Company Command Squad / Company Veterans - actually an unlucky/lucky incident that made me build these. Bought 2 sets of Boarding Shields from FW and GW Iron Warrionrs torsos to build a nice Breacher Squad for 30k. Unfortunately the blue spray-paint I used for the first five was chalky. I tried to remove the colour but the solution melted them away, so I was left with 5 and that's what they have become now :smile.:

gallery_114699_14784_723407.jpg

Vanguard Veterans

gallery_114699_14784_110170.jpg

Sternguard Veterans Squad 1

gallery_114699_14784_420704.jpg

Sternguard Veterans Squad 2

gallery_114699_14784_759684.jpg

Terminator Squad 1 - Am not too happy with how they turned out, but won't change them any more ^^

gallery_114699_14784_1437522.jpg

Terminator Squad 2 - same as with the 1st squad. Not too happy but are enough for me to want to play with them

So this is the first impression and I hope you like them!

Please feel free to comment and criticism is always welcome!

It's one thing to read about a collection but it is more breathtaking to see it! And this is just a segment of that!

Looking forward to seeing more minis and paint! Looking at your biker chaplain and the honor guard standard bearer this is going to be a real treat for the eyes!

What do you mean? There are coming up fine on my pc and phone. Could it be your phone or device that is causing the issue?

As for posting pictures to a log I usually get the image URL and paste it between image tags. ex. [*img]Paste Image URL Here[/*img] without the asterisks in the brackets. There is also an image icon on the tool bar below the font color and emoji options. Paste your URL in there and it will do the same. 

I had some time to take more pictures this morning, so here are the rest of the Command- and Elite-elements:

gallery_114699_14784_1136173.jpg

Chaplain with Jumppack front

gallery_114699_14784_797554.jpg

Chaplain with Jumppack side

gallery_114699_14784_205841.jpg

Techmarines and Servitors - not sure if I will re-do these two as I don't prefer to play Techmarines and I'm quite hapy with how they look. Maybe if the difference between the new palette of the rest of the army and them is too big I wil come back to them.

The Conversion beamer guy was actually built out of necessity due to 500 pt games in 7th. ed. and having to face long range firepower from Tau and Guard. Was fun to build and paint him and was a big surprise for my friends ^^

This should be all the HQ and Elites, now!

Here are the Fast Attack units:

gallery_114699_14784_51168.jpg

2nd Company Assault Squad 1 (the more heavy hitters with the Plasma, Eviscerator and Power Fist)

gallery_114699_14784_1330958.jpg

2nd Company Assault Squad 2 - anti infantry wit the Flamers and sword

gallery_114699_14784_32471.jpg

8th Company Biker Squad with Attack Bike

gallery_114699_14784_118996.jpg

8th Company Landseeders - havn't stripped the colour yet, as I havn't worked my way through to the vehicles and Dreadnoughts, yet.

Thanks for watching!

Just a small addition:

My idea so far is to take as many pics as possible of the unpainted minis, befor I start painting them. I'm visiting my friends house tomorrow to sculp a cape for the 30K Tartaros Preator and hopefully get some paint on some 30k World Eaters. Hopefully I will manage to take pics all of the rest of the forces today befor moving on to the painting-part of the log -apparently starting tomorrow.

I'm prefer finishing one part befor starting the next, to maintain some sort of structre.

So let's see how the day goes on and how I will manage the task set befor me :rolleyes:

Speaking of whoom, here is the Preator so far:

gallery_114699_14784_314563.jpg

Now it's troops-time:

gallery_114699_14784_1290237.jpg

2nd Company Tactical Squad 1

gallery_114699_14784_1437261.jpg

2nd Company Tactical Squad 2

gallery_114699_14784_1104462.jpg

2nd Company Tactical Squad 3

gallery_114699_14784_91095.jpg

2nd Company Tactical Squad 4

gallery_114699_14784_543133.jpg

2nd Company Tactical Squad 5

gallery_114699_14784_881164.jpg

2nd Company Tactical Squad 6

gallery_114699_14784_146773.jpg

10th Company Scout Squad 1

So, this is the last post of my Ultramarines-collection. Decided that I won't show the transports, because I think they are too boring and would rather show them when they are painted. Rather prefer showing minis I spent more time on for building and I think would look cool !

Here are the Ultramarines elements:

Heavy Support

gallery_114699_14784_214412.jpg

Land Raider Crusader

gallery_114699_14784_259190.jpg

Crusader gunner

gallery_114699_14784_987389.jpg

Land Raider Phobos

gallery_114699_14784_1015185.jpg

2nd Company Devastator Squad 1

gallery_114699_14784_764662.jpg

2nd Company Devastator Squad 2

gallery_114699_14784_1304617.jpg

9th Company Devastator Squad 1 - I am actually ashamed of how poor the state of the sergeant seems, but I'm faithful some paint will change his state ;)

gallery_114699_14784_59403.jpg

9th Company Devastator Squad 2

Now onto some World Eaters.

The following minis are, exept for a few Terminators, the only minis I have painted from the World Eaters Army. The entire army will be a 2500 pts list, which will be upgradet with another 500 pts as soon as I have decided what to add. Until then I will build the remaining 15 man squad of Augmented Inductii, to complete the list, while I look for the right recipe for the Ultramarines.

So far some World Eaters Veteran Tactical squads:

gallery_114699_14789_1313902.jpg

The entire squad, exept for the Sergeant - need to be rebuilt

ANd ere are closeups of all the members

gallery_114699_14789_690584.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_675326.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_223940.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_629815.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_667146.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_127870.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_129301.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_404484.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_295933.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_472297.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_722644.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_54552.jpg

gallery_114699_14789_458490.jpg

Not yet painted squad. I really enjoyed kitbashing the members of both squads.

gallery_114699_14789_973332.jpg

Hope you enjoy watching!

That is some excellent work so far! Looking at the partially stripped Ultramarines is almost painful, though, as what painted parts remain look really, really good, and it's hard to understand why you would have felt the need to re-do them -- but hey, if you're committed to making them even better, then more power to you! The parts still recognisable are fantastic, though, and actually remind me of BrotherChaplainArkhan's Ultramarines, which is basically the biggest compliment a XIII legion army can receive from me ;)

The World Eaters are looking fantastic and are obviously of huge interest to me! I think I'll be...erm borrowing some ideas, if it's all the same to you ;)

Keep up the great work! :)

That is some excellent work so far! Looking at the partially stripped Ultramarines is almost painful, though, as what painted parts remain look really, really good, and it's hard to understand why you would have felt the need to re-do them -- but hey, if you're committed to making them even better, then more power to you! The parts still recognisable are fantastic, though, and actually remind me of BrotherChaplainArkhan's Ultramarines, which is basically the biggest compliment a XIII legion army can receive from me :wink:

The World Eaters are looking fantastic and are obviously of huge interest to me! I think I'll be...erm borrowing some ideas, if it's all the same to you :wink:

Keep up the great work! :smile.:

Thank's a lot for the kind words and I can totally understand the way you feel about the Ultramarines ^^ There are two main reasons I want to re-paint them. The fist and main issue is that I didn't have a set recipe for the colours / of the order of how to paint them, so most of them looked different - and looking at all the nice armys in the internet I felt mine were to inconsistent and "unprofessional" for the level of love I feel for the colection. The second is that I feel the same for how I built them during the years - some in necessity of the current meta and these are the ones I actually dislike the most / feel need to be integrated into the family-collection with more care and nicer bits ^^

I actually postet all the unpainted minis for the viewers to get the impression of the collection and be able to follow the progress from building/converting to them being fully painted - I'm rather proud of how they look bits wise but yes, the "colour" looks really bad^^

I will be back to the painting table later on for the Contemptor, I started yesterday, but I'll have to see if my girl friend has something to say about that - especially with this lovely weather we have over here in Berlin.

By the way, how can I change the topic of the log to the current state of my work?

p.s. please feel free to be inspired by my work, as I am vice versa by yours!

Best Regards

Haha, Berlin, eh? Da ist es vermutlich genau so heiß wie in Nordwestdeutschland ;)

Just to be clear, your plan to repaint the army in a more unified, modern way, is nothing but admirable -- it's just something I don't think I would ever work up the courage to do, is all ;)

That being said, if the remains of the old paintjobs and those finished World Eaters are any indication, we are surely in for a treat! :)

Taking WIP pics is always nice. The pictures you have now of your minis will make for nice comparison shots later when you paint those Ultramarines!

Also, your World Eaters are fantastic! Going to borrow some details from your WE to use on my WE kill team. I especially like the marine carrying along the remains of his new friend.

Yeah, you have the World Eater's GC/HH colors down. Even your dread looks so vibrant and crisp and how clean the white is around all the metallic bits you painted and washed is phenomenal!

The Contemptor's already looking fantastic -- the white and blue areas are still before washes, right? I'm asking because my own 30k World Eaters look the exact same way before the washes and glazes come out ;)

Good to see somebody else converting a WE Contemptor based on that plastic model, by the way! I think that guy is so much fun to play around with, in spite of being a rather dodgy stock model.

Yeah, you have the World Eater's GC/HH colors down. Even your dread looks so vibrant and crisp and how clean the white is around all the metallic bits you painted and washed is phenomenal!

Cheers man, really apreciate the love! Although I'm working towards gory and battle-damaged World Eaters, I still want the white armour to be seen. I keep the painting of the white very simple and just prime or airbrush pure white and try to keep the washes as neat as possible.

The Contemptor's already looking fantastic -- the white and blue areas are still before washes, right? I'm asking because my own 30k World Eaters look the exact same way before the washes and glazes come out :wink:

Good to see somebody else converting a WE Contemptor based on that plastic model, by the way! I think that guy is so much fun to play around with, in spite of being a rather dodgy stock model.

Many many thanks :wub: So far the bronze and blue parts and the skulls are finished and the metal and white still need highlighting - maybe it's not as noticeable on the pic than in person. Looks like the glow of the lamp satiated the blue and white a bit toooo much ?!....

As for the next stept I will do the last highlights, add decals, give him a coat of varnish, oilwash the rivets of the white, do battle damage, seal again and then add blood.

It was good fun to convert this beast up, stuggled a bit with the head though ^^

Looking forward to doing some painting on sunday and will keep you updated on what's going on!

Bye for now!

Archived