Astorath plus Sanguinary Guard

Paladin777

I’ve been trying to figure out where astorath might be able to fit in a list because he’s a cool model with cool fluff.

I was thinking if you dropped him with a large squad of sanguinary guard after clearing chaff he could be a potent buffer character in addition to being quite the beatstick himself. I know you’re wasting the Heirs ability of the Guard, but using MoD on the guard would be horrifying especially if you have an ancient for the wound rerolls.

Please discuss.

I’ve thought about that myself. The trick is that HoA is not “wasted” since you get full refills from Astorath. It essentially gives you options: either the SG roll w/ Astorath or with your WL. What would be wasted (IMO) is making Astorath WL.

You would want SG w/ power fists in that setup. I think if—keyword—you ran him, you would want either MSU SG or both SG and DC all w/ fists.

The trickiest part about Astorath is timing his MoD ability. It’s rare you are going to get the perfect opportunity for it.

You can use Upon wings of fire after the mass of doom resolves. ( even turn 1). Set up the guards somewhere else end of phase, 3d6 charge with +1 to hit. Full reroll if te guard themselves are warlord ( you lose the warlord trait but gain constant full reroll for the sanguinary guards)

Archived