Forum Challenge event Idea: A new army start to finish!

Trokair

Following the fun of ETL-VI these last few months and my general enjoyment of these forums challenges since January 2017 when I took part in my first one I have been thinking of running my own both to keep my motivated and to help others in their project. So here is my idea if people are interested.

Starting a new army that you have never played before and getting to at least your first few games.

Now this does sound a bit like a Tale of X Warlords/Games/Hobbyists that are a GW hobby staple but I thought for this event the emphasis should be on the experience of a new army.

So ideally new in this case means an army or faction that you have never collected before, have no or very little experience with and what to collect and learn.

Now for a long time hobbyists who has dabbled in many armies new is a bit hard to come by so for me the definition of new above is going to be more in spirit then by the letter. The army I have in mind will be new to me in function and form if not in type.

So to explain, I have collected Space Marines before: Space Wolves in 2nd / 3rd , a homebrew chapter (that I need to finish) in late 4th and 5th, Grey Knights in late 5th and 6th and 30k Legion mid 7th onwards (though I have yet to use the Legion in a game).

My next intended project is Deathwatch, specifically Primaris based. So for me the New is that I will be trying out Primaries for the first time, Deathwatch for the first time and that the form and play style will be different from the previous Marine armies I have collected and played.

I want this event to be about the experience of learning every aspect of a new army, from rules to lore, to the models and to finally playing them. Ideally other participates with relevant experience will help each other along with their respective new armies.

I would envisage provisional rules/event progressions to be along the line of:

• Pick your new faction (whether completely New or New in some other sense as I described for the deathwatch)
  • Get your codex (or Index) and gather some idea of the army your want
  • Get models/make a rough list to the level you think is needed to learn the army (I will probably aim for 1000p initially expanding to 1500p later but it depends on what works in your area)
  • Build and paint that initial list/options you want to try (I will certainly convert a few different HQ load outs to try them out)
  • Play some games and learn what works for you and what does not
  • Expand from there/end of event.

Time wise I have no idea, maybe for now to the end of year, thoughts?

So who is interest in joining me for this idea?

I’m down. I have a nos true scaled heresy fists army I’ve been wanting to do for awhile!

Welcome aboard Lionofjudah

I don't know if I can participate, but it sounds like a nifty idea! I wouldn't stray too too far from the "Tale of X Warlords" format though, since it's such a good way for everyone to keep pace and keep track of progress.

Well, if you can you are certainly welcome.

I love the sound of it but I just started a new army as my dive back into the hobby. Maybe I’ll catch it the next go around?

As long as you are not too far along I see no reason why you could not take part.

I am writing up some more formal rules and structures to get this event of the ground.

I don't see why not, it might make the first vow easier to complete but then you will be on to larger vows all the sooner.

The intent is to experience and Learn a New army, so if this is the first time you have collected space wolves then that counts.

I haven't played at all this year and missed out on the ETL VI, but I'm game for something new. 
I'm thinking of beginning a small army, something like Agents of the Imperium.

I don't think they have a new codex yet, but I have the Index.

Would that be acceptable?

I'm in for my knight army, bought it about a month ago. Didn't think there would be enough people that would try this.  Or, is there just a lot of people with an un-built army in their closet and need an excuse to build it...

I'm in for my knight army, bought it about a month ago. Didn't think there would be enough people that would try this.  Or, is there just a lot of people with an un-built army in their closet and need an excuse to build it...

I think quite a few of us are in this boat. I decded on Deathwatch wehn their 8th Edition Codex came out but at the time I was knee deep in the ETL work so acumulated several boxes (and the all importatn upgrade sprue) since then so have most of what I think I need already to hand, I just need to build and paint it, and hopefully get some games in as well.

I haven't played at all this year and missed out on the ETL VI, but I'm game for something new. 

I'm thinking of beginning a small army, something like Agents of the Imperium.

I don't think they have a new codex yet, but I have the Index.

Would that be acceptable?

Certianly, as long as it is a new experiance for you then that will work.

Edit: event thread is up: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/349397-facing-the-unknown-starting-a-new-army-together/

Archived