Help me jump the fence - colour scheme advice

Jackalwolf

So I've always been a hardcore space wolf but in my heart there always was space for a noble ornate legion.

I explored the Emperor's Children pre fall but I think with the new Primaris and the Blood Angels being the standard of the Dark Imperium, I might take the chance to paint blood angels primaris.

That said I'd like to replicate a scheme along these lines since I like the darker crimson polished angels:

Brother Corbulo

http://i.imgur.com/fWxRvKF.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/KAzC9M7.jpg?1

Any advice on where to find a good guide on the colours used and the steps?

If I'm seeing this correctly on my screen, this looks like a Mephiston Red base (probably from a spray can), shaded with Agrax Earthshade (or other browns) and highlighted with pinks and whites. 
I cannot tell what is the current range of pink-ish colours in the Citadel range, as I generally avoid them (my own scheme is being highlighted with oranges).
You could probably just mix white with Mephiston Red to get those pinks.

Agreed. I paint my BAs a very bright red so I find Mephiston Red is too dark as a base.

This means it would probably be ideal for the colour you are looking for. For shading, you may need to experiment. That looks like it is probably Agrax Earthshade but corroburg Crimson might be worth a look as well.

That particular one has some very carefully done white highlights as a display piece - kind of like non metallic metal painting. looks great but not very easy to replicate for a whole army :-)

You could go closer to what some people do for 30k thousand sons - base coat silver then use a clear red gloss. Much quicker albeit a bit less depth.

Of course - Luther (despite leaning into other chapters...and getting global recognition for it...) has had a bunch of tutorials up for a high contrast BA scheme too :-)

Yeah the highlights towards white is one of the feature of this paint job. Most BA (like me) instead go towards orange/yellowish highlights.

The advice on red on silver seem like a good choice, as a general rule I prefer to have a reflective colour as undercoat, like a light grey or white (or silver might work too). A few thin layers of Mephiston red mixed with evil sun or a pink might give you that nice red that is not to dull. Brighter red with evil suns mix well with orange highlights, brighter red towards pink blends better with white highlights.

As for washes, crimson works best to shade directly the red to give a shadow effect, darker shades for recess.

Archived