Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Let's wait until the book is in hand to declare doom and gloom.

Think of it this way, one of the only stable paths between the shattered Imperium, crawling with cultists, Nids and Orks, is the Wolves the hold.

And that is AWESOME

I cant wait :)

Guest Triszin

What I think, after the kelly video, GSC, wolves, and orks inital codex's will be updates with a few new profiles.

then the war for vigiulus campaign 3 book comes, adds prime ork ghaz, russ and a gsc special. *tinfoil hat*

What I think, after the kelly video, GSC, wolves, and orks inital codex's will be updates with a few new profiles.

then the war for vigiulus campaign 3 book comes, adds prime ork ghaz, russ and a gsc special. *tinfoil hat*

Do you have a spare hat? :P

Well I was hoping for a nice set of dice at least but those are disappointing. Looks like I will get datacards and the codex. Also is our Primaris WGBL really locked into the box? Noone plays GSC in my area (actually so few I don't even think I have seen them in stock at the only 40k store in Korea). So that is extremely dissapointing if it is. I knew it was going to be a meh launch but didn't expect this meh.

Man we need some Johnson & Johnson’s in here.

I didn’t need new models, just just the book so I’m flippin pumped!

when your don't really play too much and your main interaction with the hobby is painting, its hard to get excited about codex releases when there's not new toys. :) 

i hope there's lots of new lore. 

I knew we weren't going to get Russ with the Codex. I didn't believe for a second GW was teasing anything by the material they put in any of their books. 

Edit: I'm surprised-ish we don't have a new Blackmane model. I wasn't completely expecting one because neither Blood Angels nor Dark Angels received updated characters either. 

Don't take it as pessimism, I just feel like GW really doesn't know what to do with Space Wolves. I started as a SWs player in 6th edition (my first army) and most gamers got annoyed with my griping because we had "the best troops in the game ever." Over the years though, it's been pretty consistent, the Space Wolves just kept seeming more and more vanilla. We'll see what kind of rules/strats we wind up getting but I'm really not expecting much out of this codex. 

I am on the optimist side. I was already expecting that there would be no more than the standard things in terms of models. And I do like tha Huskarl that they are giving, I do hope the hint of a big campaing in the planet pans out.

But the new Datasheets I do like. Wulfen Dread could be brutal. If you can kit them out similar to standard Wulfen and with rules of both Wulfen and Dread that'd be one of the most brutal models out there. Also de new TDA if it can be mixed and matched like our WG should would give interesting options, like half shooty half melee Cataphractii for a 1-2 punch that can be carried in a fast Stormwolf, or mobile Tartaros with shooty, melee and SS for a very durable unit. Currently excited to see what things the Codex will bring

So we can expect some community previews of strats and the like this week yea? Or is that the week following the preorders?

It is in the week before and it was also confirmed in the article that this week we will be seeing updates. So a few articles at least (I'd love 5 but I'd say 3 is more likely, Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

Don't take it as pessimism, I just feel like GW really doesn't know what to do with Space Wolves. I started as a SWs player in 6th edition (my first army) and most gamers got annoyed with my griping because we had "the best troops in the game ever." Over the years though, it's been pretty consistent, the Space Wolves just kept seeming more and more vanilla. We'll see what kind of rules/strats we wind up getting but I'm really not expecting much out of this codex. 

don't take this the wrong way, but if you started in 6th Edition, that's not a large passage of time where you can say 'they got more and more vanilla over the years.' 

i think it's the opposite, and if anything they probably feel like they ran out of ideas. wulfen weren't too long ago, before that axe and shield dreadnoughts and flyers with giant ice beams. before that it was thunderwolf cavalry.

i like all those things (thunderwolves most and wulfen least) but they're all on the exotic side of the spectrum and i think probably its best that they go vanilla for a little bit, especially while they align with the new space marine range and status quo (which is primaris).

A great distraction from the Titan game. Excited about the new wgbl. Love the square Dice. Looking forward to rules and stragrens. Finding out more about the only successor chapter stalk spears. Have question about primaris wolf priest? Do we get one? Or are we using Chaplin and apothecary for the primaris successor chapter?

If we are getting a primaris WGBL from Ragnar's company. Then logic would indicate, that we would also be getting a primaris Ragnar. But then again we have been disappointed before! Just trying to imagine Ragnar looking up (height-wise) to a primaris wolf guard and giving him orders... RIP regular marines. The slow transition to primaris models is what it would seem. I say this only because I have not seen new regular marines outside those special Japanese marines. I care or about new lore and fluff than anything.

If we are getting a primaris WGBL from Ragnar's company. Then logic would indicate, that we would also be getting a primaris Ragnar. But then again we have been disappointed before! Just trying to imagine Ragnar looking up (height-wise) to a primaris wolf guard and giving him orders... RIP regular marines. The slow transition to primaris models is what it would seem. I say this only because I have not seen new regular marines outside those special Japanese marines. I care or about new lore and fluff than anything.

No offence but that’s a huge stretch of logic.

The Blackmanes have always been the standard Great Company for GWs Space Wolves so they’re simply continuing that theme.

It wouldn’t make sense to do the Primaris as a different Great Company as they wouldn’t look consistent when taking larger battleforce pictures.

Well I'm not surprised but a tad bummed that nothing else will drop with the codex. I suppose I will be hitting up the old Ebay break apart to get the wolf half of the box as those are the primaris I dont have and of course the dex. I suspect wulfen dreads use the murderfang claws but I'm excited to see that as well as the TDA variants. Will of course reserve judgment until dex is in hand. I'm just glad we will finally be back to 1 book for rules.

No offence but that’s a huge stretch of logic.

The Blackmanes have always been the standard Great Company for GWs Space Wolves so they’re simply continuing that theme.

It wouldn’t make sense to do the Primaris as a different Great Company as they wouldn’t look consistent when taking larger battleforce pictures.

You lost me at GW and consistency. All jokes aside, I went with common sense here. Only because of the recent artwork depicts Ragnar's company, therefore I went with that conclusion. But to be fair, in the past GW have used Wolf Lord Krom's company in a box set against orks (table-top wise). Not to mention several audiobooks and novels with other wolf lords and their respective companies fighting off against dark eldar, daemons of nurgle and the fall of cadia. There are transfers readily available for GW should they choose to use a different great company. But they didn't in this case. Either they just lazy, or it's truly Ragnars men.

Bouncing an idea off your theory, what if we get Russ, Prime Ork and that Tyranid continent sized structure they've been building shows up there in Vigiulus as some kind of Tyranid Primarch creature?

So the pessimists were right then. Just an 'Index flip' of a Codex, with nothing new model-wise worth a damn. If anything, the Primaris LT being bundled in the Vigilus box might be a :censored: move too. If he's only available in the box then that shafts both people with no interest in GSC, plus anyone who already bought their Primaris and may not want more.

Actually getting the alternate Terminator armours is surprising, but doesn't really matter as neither Cataphractii (especially) and Tartaros are all that good, and if the pattern of the other Marines holds they'll be very limited regarding options. 'Worth the wait'? Doesn't look like it at this point.

Just because Russ isn't coming out with the codex release doesn't mean he can't come later. Let's at least have the codex come out before we rant about it. I've been on of the most consistently angry posters on the boards about how SW have been abandoned by GW in 8th edition but I'm super excited for our codex. The few small teases from guys like Spider on Tabletop Tactics and other podcasts that have play tested our codex said it will be good.

If our codex makes us at least competitive I can live with that. We could still see Russ coming out. The rumor mill for months has said Fulgrim and Angron are coming for Chaos in 40k. GW has to balance that with more Loyalist primarchs.

As predicted by quite a few, the release is the book, an upgrade spruce, and the SW LT. To give us a little extra kick, the new stuff appears to be initially exclusive to a large expensive box set. I have no doubt they’ll be individual releases sooner or later, but still.

Well I can happily eat my words over this news. It's great that we're finally getting our codex, the primaris have close combat weapons and the wolf guard sculpt looks great. I'll definitely pick him up on his own.

Everyone is saying that about the intercessors but that knife is in the regualar box already and the chainsword seems consistent with BA.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope we get it but we don’t get anything from those pics in that regard.

I'm definitely picking up the starter, it's easy to sell the other half. I actually dig the dice, something different from the Chessex we all bought years ago. Dice, boxset, cards, book. Probably not the collectors though, unless there is a combo box with everything in it. I was worried that it was all snap fit stuff, but the one aggressor doesn't look like it's armed with the flamers, and the dread isn't armed that way either. Also the article links to the big boy versions.

Archived