Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Here's my thinking currently.

Land Raider Crusader, 6 WG TDA pack, WGBL/WL, WP.

Characters, guarenteed...

WGBL/WL

WP

WGTPL

If each and every single WG TDA is also a character, that's a total of 8 characters to be able to Heroic Intervention shenanigans with, however one wishes to tie up as many enemy units as possible.

If able, consider...

Spartan, 9 WG TDA, Logan, Arjac, Njal in RTA.

Characters, minimum:

Logan

Arjac

Njal

WGTPL

Plus, if each WG TDA is a character, that's 12 characters that can run around and tie up enemy units.

Having at least three to four characters in a normal TDA delivery system, no matter the points value, is going to become a serious case of interlocking charges, more so than interlocking fields of fire.

Guest Triszin

odd thought popped into my head.

REmember chapter approved had tank building rules for us wolves that allowed us to put helfrost on our other vehicles?

any chance of that actually being in this dex?

WGBL/WL

WP

WGTPL

If each and every single WG TDA is also a character, that's a total of 8 characters to be able to Heroic Intervention shenanigans with, however one wishes to tie up as many enemy units as possible.

If able, consider...

Characters, minimum:

Logan

Arjac

Njal

WGTPL

Plus, if each WG TDA is a character, that's 12 characters that can run around and tie up enemy units.

Having at least three to four characters in a normal TDA delivery system, no matter the points value, is going to become a serious case of interlocking charges, more so than interlocking fields of fire.

Without tweaks any case where people propose a LRC I always swap with a stormwolf...

WGBL/WL

WP

WGTPL

If able, consider...

Characters, minimum:

Logan

Arjac

Njal

WGTPL

Without tweaks any case where people propose a LRC I always swap with a stormwolf...

So long as the unit is delivered, have at!

And, there is the possibility of the Codex allowing the Wolves to do just that, perhaps even on individual unit entries. Even if not, the Codex only replaces rules on a case by case basis. Otherwise, all Index, Chapter Approved, and what not options are still available, including the custom LR rules.

Having fen wolf bodyguards also helps keep the characters from being targeted by ranged/smite. Now that characters can't block other characters, having that character blob each with their own posse would be very sweet.

odd thought popped into my head.

REmember chapter approved had tank building rules for us wolves that allowed us to put helfrost on our other vehicles?

any chance of that actually being in this dex?

Any chance? Yes. A likely chance? No, not really.

Guest Triszin

is it me, or is it strange that NOTHING has leaked from this codex, besides what was released by GW?

is this is a first time for this?

Guest Triszin

Its true and also the previews are very limited, we will know everything by tomorow night :smile.:

*tones down excitement levels to acceptable*

I just gotta be patient -.-

Hope you guys will excuse the n00b question, but as long as we're back to playing the waiting game...

What impact, if any, has the introduction of so many classic models to the Space Wolves faction had on your opinion of the lifecycle of the standard-sized models? It's pretty obvious that Primaris are going to supplant the regular Space Marines at some point (example here: while the Primaris-sized models "only" get one new model, the classic-sized get none, just access to a bunch of existing ones).

But does opening the doors like this and giving Space Wolves so many "new" toys to play with seem like something they'd do if they were planning to standardize on Primaris models as soon as 9th edition? It seems like it could alienate a lot of customers for the sake of just a couple of years' worth of sales. And GW is doing great sales-wise right now so there's no need to risk a loss of trust with the community like that.

So to me it seems like a ray of hope that the classic sized Marines won't be going away for a little while more. But what do you guys think? Do you see this as evidence that GW won't be forcing all Primaris and only Primaris on everyone sooner rather than later? Or does this expansion of the Space Wolves range ultimately mean nothing in terms of what their plans for the next edition may be?

Hope you guys will excuse the n00b question, but as long as we're back to playing the waiting game...

What impact, if any, has the introduction of so many classic models to the Space Wolves faction had on your opinion of the lifecycle of the standard-sized models? It's pretty obvious that Primaris are going to supplant the regular Space Marines at some point (example here: while the Primaris-sized models "only" get one new model, the classic-sized get none, just access to a bunch of existing ones).

But does opening the doors like this and giving Space Wolves so many "new" toys to play with seem like something they'd do if they were planning to standardize on Primaris models as soon as 9th edition? It seems like it could alienate a lot of customers for the sake of just a couple of years' worth of sales. And GW is doing great sales-wise right now so there's no need to risk a loss of trust with the community like that.

So to me it seems like a ray of hope that the classic sized Marines won't be going away for a little while more. But what do you guys think? Do you see this as evidence that GW won't be forcing all Primaris and only Primaris on everyone sooner rather than later? Or does this expansion of the Space Wolves range ultimately mean nothing in terms of what their plans for the next edition may be?

Common belief is that they will not longer produce anymore classic-sized kits/molds. When the current molds wear out they will probably be done producing those kits. I've heard people say those molds could last 10-15 years. So we probably have a decade before we start seeing our current range disappear. By then there will probably be an entirely new range of primaris-size kits out there.

I don't know what they will do to the rules for classic marines at that point.

Common belief is that they will not longer produce anymore classic-sized kits/molds. When the current molds wear out they will probably be done producing those kits. I've heard people say those molds could last 10-15 years. So we probably have a decade before we start seeing our current range disappear. By then there will probably be an entirely new range of primaris-size kits out there.

I don't know what they will do to the rules for classic marines at that point.

Thanks. Of course, now I'm tempted to think that giving those additional units to Space Wolves is just stage one in a fiendish plot to move more inventory, cause more models to be produced, and ultimately use the molds up quicker.

I hope they bring them back as bodyguards. Its a personal thing but I just don't like running the wolves in separate packs, seems way cooler to integrate them throughout.

The mixed quality of everything is what drew me to wolves in 3rd. It just looks cool.

I never paid much attention to the body guard rule, until my Logan Grimnar got sniped with a whopping 6 mortal wounds and I couldn't do anything about it except 6++ FNP. Again, it's one of the things that was unnecessarily left out of the Wolves, that every marine and their dog (pun intended) could take, but Wolves cannot. As more and more character sniping abilities and weapons are revealed, having bodyguards is surprisingly important even to the tougher than normal marines.

Anyway guys, just keep calm and wait for codex. Won't be long now though they are quite sparse.

One thing worrisome is that they didn't mention any possibility of Great Company traits though, although they've mentioned new warlord traits, strategems and psychic spells incoming. Oh well, I would have considered that icing on the cake rather than the cake itself.

I hear you on the Armour of Russ.

For warlord traits, although I personally think that anything that regenerates CP should be banned, until the game mechanics shift again, we have no choice but to pray we get something along the lines of regenerating CP, or as I call it, stealing CP even when opponent uses theirs. (even worse. And don't get me started on the Drukhari Kabal one). Otherwise we won't be able to compete with the CP batteries (loyal 32) and CP stealers.

The only thing that messes with CP which I respect is actually the Calidus assassin. THAT ability feels very tactical, as opposed to OP and cheating to me.

The only thing that messes with CP which I respect is actually the Calidus assassin. THAT ability feels very tactical, as opposed to OP and cheating to me.

After testing assassins the Calidus isn't worth it after the faq and CP inflation

My 2 vindicares tend to erase the battery on turn 2 though

After testing assassins the Calidus isn't worth it after the faq and CP inflation

Those cp batteries must be idiotically not hiding well then. 

On another matter, the wulfen dreadnoughts seem to be amazingly fast. Squishy for a vehicle but fast nonetheless. Depending on point cost and whether it can take advance and charge, they could be our turn 1 charge or our best distraction carnifex.

Or maybe not. Just save them for the genestealer rush. That Great Axe seems nerfed but the sweep attack will double its attacks to a respectable eight power sword attacks. Most attacks like that have lower AP. And as a wulfen, it may have a feel no pain of 5++, therefore having a defence against the AP-4 attacks or mortal wounds.

Great Wolf Claw also seems better now with a flat 3 damage instead of D6 damage. I'm not sure about you guys, but normally I prefer flat damage, even if it is just 2 damage. Less random damage, the better in my opinion....

..... Oh my God, I just took a closer look at the faded portion of the warscroll, IT CAN TAKE THE BLIZZARD SHIELD! Just need to replace either the axe or the wolf claw! OH MY GOODNESS! Now I'm psyched! A fast vehicle with 3++!!! AIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAAIAIAIAIAIAI! (Xena battle cry)

Breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe. Keep calm, make a list. Wait for codex. Prepare for worst, hope for the best.

sorry mates, haven't felt this optimistic in sometime.

..... Oh my God, I just took a closer look at the faded portion of the warscroll, IT CAN TAKE THE BLIZZARD SHIELD! Just need to replace either the axe or the wolf claw! OH MY GOODNESS! Now I'm psyched! A fast vehicle with 3++!!! AIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAAIAIAIAIAIAI! (Xena battle cry)

Breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe breathe. Keep calm, make a list. Wait for codex. Prepare for worst, hope for the best.

sorry mates, haven't felt this optimistic in sometime.

Only heard rumors so far but we might be losing the 3++ and getting 4++ shields

Looks like they give us a SB or heavy flamer in exchange though

is it me, or is it strange that NOTHING has leaked from this codex, besides what was released by GW?

is this is a first time for this?

First time that I can remember.

It is interesting, pretty much every rumor source has dried up regarding this codex. Everyone's clammed up. It seems that this is so top secret that they could announce anything.

Only heard rumors so far but we might be losing the 3++ and getting 4++ shields

Looks like they give us a SB or heavy flamer in exchange though

well..... 4++ is better than 0 ++.

4++ and Feel No Pain will still give a double layer of protection which is VERY rare in Wolves, giving us a potentially tanky to draw fire away from our Grey Hunters, Intercessors, Wulfen and other mid range elements. Of course the FNP is not confirm, may not even be there given that Murderfang currently doesn't have one.

I've always raged that wolves lack either durability or speed. Now this is the first time I MAY see both finally.

It is interesting, pretty much every rumor source has dried up regarding this codex. Everyone's clammed up. It seems that this is so top secret that they could announce anything.

Or there isn’t much to announce.

Archived