Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

So. Many. Missed. Rules... for both side. It was close to an index show off the army without Hunter's Unleashed, Stratagems, Armour of Russ, teh Saga of Majesty... We at least got to see Living Lightning. We needed a bit more from this Batrep.

No Invuln on Bjorn.

Dammit, Lone Wolves are now just a strategem...

wait, lone wolves have been completely moved to a strategem?

no longer build-able?

I didn't hear that on the stream. I think that was a speculative conclusion from the strategem.

no longer build-able?

Simon just said that he wanted the hunters to be killed to one left, allowing him to use the Lone Wolf Strat seeing as Lone Wolves have now moved to just the strategem.

Seeking the Saga Stratagem. 1CP reroll failed wound rolls against higher Power Rating units for the Character.

Edit: Good on Captain Smash with TH and against Knights, since can be added with the +1 to wound Vehicles to hit on 2+, hit on 3+ and reroll both.

Disappointing stream but the Bjorn 1v1 at the end was suitably heroic 

He said come at me and took 11 wounds but FNP removed 4 of them

Honor the chapter (3CP confirmed)

Seeking the saga (stratagem to fight a character with a higher PL than you to reroll failed wounds - 1 CP)

no longer build-able?

Simon just said that he wanted the hunters to be killed to one left, allowing him to use the Lone Wolf Strat seeing as Lone Wolves have now moved to just the strategem.

He specifically said "seeing as Lone Wolves have now moved to just the strategem."?

Laugh in the face of death stratagem 

Reroll failed hits if you are being impacted by a leadership modifier

Keen senses 

Shooting phase stratagem to ignore modifiers (OMG LFs gonna tear flyers and eldar up!!)

Only in death stratagem also confirmed

He is planning to use it if Bjorn dies

no longer build-able?

He specifically said "seeing as Lone Wolves have now moved to just the strategem."?

Don't take too serious that. He missed a lot of rules, so I would tread lightly around half said things not checked (unlike the 4++ for Blizzard due to him checking before saying it).

no longer build-able?

Don't take too serious that. He missed a lot of rules, so I would tread lightly around half said things not checked (unlike the 4++ for Blizzard due to him checking before saying it).

I'm not, just trying to curb the misinformation.

He wrote our index rules and took the blame for Logan's 3+ sled save because he said it has dogs and other parts besides the TDA

Saga of majesty deed is killing the enemy warlord

Saga of the warrior born deed is killing an enemy character

saga of majesty adds 3" to any aura abilites

(bjorn has it)

so.. bjorn next to a 6"aura lord now has a 9" aura lord.

oh my

Does it stack with Cloaked by the Storm? Description of this is aura based, 18" bubble of -1 to hit... before getting started with smoke and other psychic shenanigans

I am feeling optimistic about the kinds of lists we can build

We will definitely be hunting specific units down and built to negate things

The keen senses reveal is going to make a full squad of long fangs absolutely brutal (stack it with wolf's eye for reroll wounds)

They don't need an HQ babysitter either

I will need to put a rune priest back in my list as well b/c living lightning looks like too much fun to pass up

And kill a Character is the Deed for Saga of a Warrior Born.

Thats disgusting if the aura is still first strike then.

I doubt i has changed so it should be. A good way to kill enemy characters, since you always fight first and after killing one so do your buddies.

(bjorn has it)

oh my

Does it stack with Cloaked by the Storm? Description of this is aura based, 18" bubble of -1 to hit... before getting started with smoke and other psychic shenanigans

It should stack. So that is a good call. But it would be a 9" bubble. It gives a nice protection buff.

(bjorn has it)

oh my

It should, likely yes.

Our book is going to be downright lethal.

I did ask in the Simon Grant thread about what points value a 3++ Blizzard Shield would have for Chapter Approved 2018, at the earliest. The 4++ makes sense; still, if there's an option to perhaps add a force field or rune or something to up the thing back to 3++, I am curious as to how many points that would cost. I know for one thing, to me, that 3++ is a must. Still, I'm not the writers of the Codex.

And kill a Character is the Deed for Saga of a Warrior Born.

Thats disgusting if the aura is still first strike then.

I doubt i has changed so it should be. A good way to kill enemy characters, since you always fight first and after killing one so do your buddies.

(bjorn has it)

oh my

It should stack. So that is a good call. But it would be a 9" bubble. It gives a nice protection buff.

It's "within 6"" so I guess within 9" means pop Njal in the middle of the footslogging pack and hey ho 9"either side (plus his base size!) Huzzah!! We shall live!

I did ask in the Simon Grant thread about what points value a 3++ Blizzard Shield would have for Chapter Approved 2018, at the earliest. The 4++ makes sense; still, if there's an option to perhaps add a force field or rune or something to up the thing back to 3++, I am curious as to how many points that would cost. I know for one thing, to me, that 3++ is a must. Still, I'm not the writers of the Codex.

I don't know if a SB/HF option is enough to justify the shield dread unless the points drop as well

I normally run 2 shield dreads

I can use the same points value and get a leviathan with better T and the same 4++

I may not have the melee prowess with it but it can shoot like a squad of long fangs (20 S7 AP2 D2 shots with storm cannons)

When running bjorn the leviathan is just as good of a blocker as shield dreads

When you factor in the new and improved 6" HI you just keep bjorn behind so he can't be targetted and intercept anything that tries to tarpit 

*EDIT*

Actually scratch that.  That is pre codex thinking

In new codex a WL/WGBL/WGBL kill team is going to be better than Bjorn

Swap the leviathan to a dual claw build for close combat

Have him walk 8" then advance every turn with your 3 man HQ force behind him

Going to be putting serious pressure on the other team

I don't know if a SB/HF option is enough to justify the shield dread unless the points drop as well

I normally run 2 shield dreads

I can use the same points value and get a leviathan with better T and the same 4++

I may not have the melee prowess with it but it can shoot like a squad of long fangs (20 S7 AP2 D2 shots with storm cannons)

When running bjorn the leviathan is just as good of a blocker as shield dreads

When you factor in the new and improved 6" HI you just keep bjorn behind so he can't be targetted and intercept anything that tries to tarpit 

The points should go down. If not, there is the option for the two week out FAQ if there is a dire enough need to ask the Blizzard Shield Invul to be revisited, and if determined, addressed.

I love the Shield Ven Dread. I have three to build at least, and I might debate where and how to use them, especially considering how potent the BS has been in the past. I hope it is either an oversight or for a sufficient points cost in total, goes back to 3++.

The random Ven Dread nerf sucks. Dreads aren't even very good this edition, so they had to come after just about the only codex dreadnought that is? Very disappointing.

"Too good" is relative.

Still, if it becomes something that needs to be revisited, and, as I typed above, addressed, they will. I advise both concern and caution, in equal measure.

We've got a killer Codex it seems, in terms of fluff accuracy; the question of points value and ppm throughput will be answered soon enough.

The random Ven Dread nerf sucks. Dreads aren't even very good this edition, so they had to come after just about the only codex dreadnought that is? Very disappointing.

"Too good" is relative.

Still, if it becomes something that needs to be revisited, and, as I typed above, addressed, they will. I advise both concern and caution, in equal measure.

We've got a killer Codex it seems, in terms of fluff accuracy; the question of points value and ppm throughput will be answered soon enough.

Yeah, and relative to stuff like a Knight Gallant or Vertus Praetors it just isn't as powerful. Unless there's some stratagem that's going to make Ven Dreads much stronger, I don't see how their power level was out of whack relative to the top dogs right now. The Dread still has its big weakness relative to other units, which is its slow speed, it's just lost some of its durability that made up for how slow it was.

I think I'd take a Knight over two Dreads now. No question. Even a Warglaive might be worth a consideration.

I think the problem was that a 3++ was just too good. Everyone was taking 2 Shield dreads all the time. If something becomes auto-take, you can bet it is either in for a points hike or a wallop from Mr Nerf Bat.

Which I think is actually fair. Seeing the same hanful of auto-include units every time you play/face an army gets pretty boring. I would rather an army where every choice is equally viable and I am not gimping myself by leaving units at home.

Archived