Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

And what's stopping anyone from using Index entries?

Nothing. I've pointed that out several times at this point. Since the codex doesn't have them listed you can absolutely still use the index entries.

I really like the stratagems, the fluff, the sagas, the Tactic. But the changes to the units are generally not welcome and the new units do NOT add to the flavour, and that is a big let down. The new TDA, Champion, vehicles as far as I've seen add nothing to our army, and Inwas psyched about those. They can't be added to packs, we get no new rules. The Blizzard Shield was exceptionally strong, but we are now overly reliant on Storm Caller and the new Stratagem to get into combat, since a lot of our units do not have the mobility to get us uo the table. The lack of Bikes, specially the Rune Priest, means that we are supposed to footslog, because there is no reliable way to get the Rhinos in range without a Rune Priest (yes we can go Index but it is one power less, so not combo of Tempest's Wrath and Storm Caller, and the nerf to Storm caller makes it unreliable), and the only "fast" option of HQ like the TW got increased. So we will probablely be un Jump Packs, which while I enjoy are not our fluffy thing. So while making a fluffy codex they seem to be taking a bit of the fluff from the way to play the army, which confounds me to no end.

Edit: And while a fun codex indeed, as the brothers says there is nothing to justify the delay. Ruleswise nithing important, nothing relating to the current campaign or events. Unless there was a very extensive play testing (which I wonder why it would be, because IK, Drukhari and other I say are still better) there is nothing really important here. Orks and GSC are getting completely new models and sculpts. Great. But we got nothing except an above averege codex.

I am glad with the book. I really like it. I will buy the Collector's edition with dice and everything... but I was going to do that anyways and aside from a bit of experience on the rules team I fail to see what benefit we got from the wait.

Nothing. I've pointed that out several times at this point. Since the codex doesn't have them listed you can absolutely still use the index entries.

Will we still be able to use the index after the last codex comes out?  Because there aren't many left.

Will we still be able to use the index after the last codex comes out? Because there aren't many left.
You can use any datasheets that are not on the codex for your army. Even when all codices comes out. If there is no datasheet on the codex, you go by index only paying codex prices (or CA) for the gear

remember a few editions back when our RP were better than 1k sons and everyone had them in lists?

we are pushing that direction again with the nice tricks rune priests can pull off

d6 jumping mortal wounds and auspex scan/chooser of the slain will make it worth having multiple RP

I seem to have seen that the Scout Bikers will have Behind Enemy Lines. That seems like a good cheap harrasment unit. At leasr that addition makes me happy (Lamd Speeder Storm with 4 plasma shots might be good too). A good cheap annoying unit that can outflank

Will we still be able to use the index after the last codex comes out? Because there aren't many left.
You can use any datasheets that are not on the codex for your army. Even when all codices comes out. If there is no datasheet on the codex, you go by index only paying codex prices (or CA) for the gear
So it sounds like the only downside is that our bike runs priests will have one less power to cast per turn. Do they still get to choose from the new powers/relics/sagas?

Can someone confirm/deny (I dont know if the info is available) the size of Grey Hunter units and what options are available as weapons load out? I am building a squad of MK3 and just need to see what special weapons etc I should prepare for.

Thanks

So it sounds like the only downside is that our bike runs priests will have one less power to cast per turn. Do they still get to choose from the new powers/relics/sagas?

They have access to the same school so yes.

Did Inhear that correctly? Hellfrost disructor for free on the Stormfang? If that is true that is a 50 point decrease for our flyer... that is a lot. He didn't go.into the Stormwolf but if something similar happens our Flyers are must takes.

Can someone confirm/deny (I dont know if the info is available) the size of Grey Hunter units and what options are available as weapons load out? I am building a squad of MK3 and just need to see what special weapons etc I should prepare for.

Thanks

they are the same as the Index it seems.

Yeah they still get access tonall the Saga amd gears, but a power less known (not cast).

Our Auspex Scan seems really good too, because if I heard correctly it is a firendly Unit. So that Stormwolf can fire to the enemy at -1 or your Razorback can fire too. Or Bjorn.

Edit: for when we face 1ksons we can also have a character deny for 1CP.

Our Auspex Scan seems really good too, because if I heard correctly it is a firendly Unit. So that Stormwolf can fire to the enemy at -1 or your Razorback can fire too. Or Bjorn.

leviathan with dual storm cannons has BS2...auspex firing on 3s

I would assume we can pop Keen Sences where it needed to count too.

leviathan with dual storm cannons has BS2...auspex firing on 3s
You can add Wisdom of the ancients too, for rerolls of 1 (sadly Keen senses do not apply, as hearing it applies only in the shooting phase, because if you could you could go qith the three stratagems amd make a DS unit's life very unpleasant).

Also our Empyric Chanelling look alike is only 1CP. Get Njal, and two other RP and you might find yourself a nice way to wioe units after a couple of turns.

I would assume we can pop Keen Sences where it needed to count too.
Seems like Keen Senses is only for the Shooting phase.

Codex entries trump Chapter Approved 2017. Chapter Approved 2017 entries trump Index Imperium 1, for the Wolves.

Entries in Index Imperial 1, that are not in either CA 2017 or in the Codex may still be used.

Unless GW is willing to go back on its word from this article, linked here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

Codex entries trump Chapter Approved 2017. Chapter Approved 2017 entries trump Index Imperium 1, for the Wolves.

Entries in Index Imperial 1, that are not in either CA 2017 or in the Codex may still be used.

Unless GW is willing to go back on its word from this article, linked here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

After talking with Bulwyf and Redeard, I went back and looked at the index, and Wolf Guard bikers are a separate entry, not a wargear upgrade. As are the bike versions of all our characters, and the thunderwolf mounted Iron Priest.

It's funny, because I'm fairly certain they took away our bikes to try and balance our close combat power by slowing us down, but now that I know I can, I plan on using the index bikes.

I don't know about the bikes. Looking at the Space Marine Codex they seem to be down a lot of the Biker options too, like Librarian or Veterans. Which is strange to me (and I guess would be infurating for White Scars). They seem to only retain the Captain on Bike, which is very odd to me.

Bikes only exist as units if there is a model for it. No Chaplain, Techmarine, Librarian or Company Vetererans on bikes anymore because they don't have official models.

A stance I never understood. I’ll buy four flippin seperate kits to bash a single model together. From purely a sales perspective seems really odd to crush dreams like that.

Yes yes index blah blah shut up

Totally BSing here but maybe GW is taking tournament/competitive play as a serious business factor instead of the public comment from prior CEO that they just sell models.

Cutting out units without models and providing plastic sisters of battle soon could indicate a long view

Totally BSing here but maybe GW is taking tournament/competitive play as a serious business factor instead of the public comment from prior CEO that they just sell models.

Cutting out units without models and providing plastic sisters of battle soon could indicate a long view

Eh? Sorry, I may be missing something here, but how do either of those have anything to do with "taking tournament/competitive play as a serious business factor"? Cutting units without models is :censored: (if sensible form a lawsuit viewpoint), and if the internet rumour mill is accurate, then it's entirely the fault of the :censored:s at Chapterhouse (:censored:  those guys, so, so much). Sisters? They've been desired from a subset of the community for years and years. And most of the 'why not' has generally been explained by the scale of the project, and the fatiguing effect such a major work has on the studio (apparently burnout from the DE re-imagining in 09 lasted years) Don't see what that has to do with competitive play.

Archived