Vanguard sword brethren

rye0006

What are people's preferred loadouts for jump pack equipped vanguard sword brethren? I've got a squad of 5 made from some donated death company and know the way they are kitted out isn't ideal:

1x Relic blade and grav pistol

1x Thunder hammer

2x lightning claw and storm shield

1x power maul

I have also made 2 with double chainsword.

Keen to know how I could improve.

I have SB with grab pistol and sword/relic blade. Then four with thunder Hammers and storm shields. Last time I took them I also had points for two extras with just chainswords and bolt pistol. Useful for extra wounds and, when the jump chaplain failed the charge, I didn't move one as far as the others to keep the unit within his aura. Thunder Hammers re rolling hits is deadly.

I've equipped my Vanguard as follows:

4× Dual Lightning Claws (including Sergeant)

3× Dual Chainswords (also known as bullet catchers)

3× Chainsword and Storm Shield

This build allows for plenty of dice to chop (pun intended) through enemy units and also gets rerolls to wounds. Not game breaking but an infantry killer. I generally shoot troublesome elites rather than take them on at their game.

I havent found much luck with them regardless of loadout. Ive been running mine as Sanguinary Guard haha. Ive tried all chainswords, Ive tried double LC, tried mixed loadouts, none of it really does any damage. I only run them as they are for very fluffy games, local meta has turned very competitive recently which is sad.

I have 10 men squad of Vanguard Sword Brethren.

Power Sword + Storm Shield x 5

Power Sword + Bolt Pistol x 3

Dual Lightning Claws x 2

----

Together with Helbrecht, they are good at killing MEQs while they are about 240 points.

I'm considering to increase the ratio of LC, though.

I havent found much luck with them regardless of loadout. Ive been running mine as Sanguinary Guard haha. Ive tried all chainswords, Ive tried double LC, tried mixed loadouts, none of it really does any damage. I only run them as they are for very fluffy games, local meta has turned very competitive recently which is sad.

Try droppod with TH vets and helbrecht. They can kill hearly everything with 10 str, the problem is charge 9 with reroll. That is why i use at leaste 3 units of them.

Try droppod with TH vets and helbrecht. They can kill hearly everything with 10 str, the problem is charge 9 with reroll. That is why i use at leaste 3 units of them.

So clearly you don't use jump packs on them? I've never really thought about using them without jump packs.

Is the strength 10 really that big? With thunderhammers I guess i'd rather take a jumping chapter master with th/ss/shield eternal or th/ss/Helm of the crusader of taking multiple units.

I just feel like helbrecht isn't worth it for his points. Also he forces you to take the drop pod in order to deepstrike

Or are there that many units t8 and above?

Is the strength 10 really that big? With thunderhammers I guess i'd rather take a jumping chapter master with th/ss/shield eternal or th/ss/Helm of the crusader of taking multiple units.

I just feel like helbrecht isn't worth it for his points. Also he forces you to take the drop pod in order to deepstrike

Or are there that many units t8 and above?

Tanks, knights, deamon Primarchs... I think there are many T8 units, so it is important getting that 3+ to wound

Tfw our tanks are all t7 )=

Well I havent dipped my toes that much into 8th. So I'm glad to get strategical information from veteran crusaders. Thank you.

Landraider are T8 and even have a 2+ save, Repulsor are T8, Vindicators are T8, Stalker are T8 and Hunter are T8 as well.

Good to know anyways, so thank you for correcting me.

Currently I run

6*axe/bp

Sgt fist+bp

If I take one less that gives me 21 pts, for that I could take a th and 2 shields. Do you think that could be worth it? Might give the squad some more survivability and some more punch vs tougher enemies. I am employing them with a jumping chaplain, making it:

Sgt th/ss

Vet fist/ss

4 axe/bp

b2t

at first you need larger units for melee. If you hit hard, the enemy chant hit back hard. And with more man you can still create conga-lines and prevent the enemies from leaving the combat.

3+ Stormshields are necessary becaus of so much AP in this edition AND very important:

You need output and then there is just one real good weapon - the thunder hammer for quality and chainsword for quantity.

btw... are there any tournament gamers here?

1x SS x Chainsword

2x PP x Chainsword

6x BP x Chainsword

1x Vet Sarge with dual Chainsword

...I think.

never run them with boltpistols... if you shoot before charging, the distance will be higher to charge and you have lesser attacks...

1x SS x Chainsword

2x PP x Chainsword

6x BP x Chainsword

1x Vet Sarge with dual Chainsword

...I think.

never run them with boltpistols... if you shoot before charging, the distance will be higher to charge and you have lesser attacks...

That's why I don't. However it gives me list flexibility to run Assault Marines and redistribute points, plus punch in the shooting phase or cleanup after an enemy fallback.

And I don't have enough CS bits for 20ish dual wielders.

Archived