The lion and the wolf combos

Trunkello

Hello brothers!

Now that the space wolf codex is coming out, what do you think is the best combo for using the strategem? Can we boost up a space wolf character to be a mini primarch? Also which dark angel character is the best auites for that +1 attack and strenght?(ld and ws doesnt really matter given most hq's have ws2 already)

I think a librarian is a good candidate.  He benefits from the WS and A boost, while the strength boost will see a force sword wound T4 on 3's.  The leadership boost, meanwhile, can help with the mind wipe roll off. 

Other candidates would be company champions or a character with the mace of redemption, who would be boosted to S8. 

I have no idea about Space Wolf options, although can't their chaplan equivalent heal which may help recover the wound they may suffer. 

Hammer captain would be a great choice. WS1+ does matter because of the -1 to hit from the TH. He'll be hitting 5 times at Strength 10, hitting on 2s, rerolling 1s. 

Re: SW character, I've thought about the Rune Priest because they can take a psychic power that gives a model -1 to hit, which would stack nicely with Aversion, Mind Wipe, and Dark Shroud auras, with the potential to make something like the Castellan literally unable to hit anything near a Dark Shroud.

From listening to the reviews it sounds like three rune priests will plug and play in pretty much any imperial army due to thier physic attack that does d3 Mortal wounds and jumps to another unit if it wipes the unit and the stratagem that makes it D6 if there a three of them.

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest plug and play from our SW codex could be a supreme command detachment with:

-Njal

-Rune priest with armour of Russ

-Rune priest with wulfen stone

-Arjac Rockfist

If you want to buff a character, Arjac with the lion and the wolf, plus the armour of Russ and Wulfen stone will turn him into a monster capable of going 101 against anything and anyone.

Just to compare him in melee to Guilliman (peak Imperium fighter atm) when buffed as so:

WS: Arjac 1+ / Guilliman 2+

S: Arjac 6 / Guilliman 6

T: Arjac 4 / Guilliman 6

W: Arjac 5 / Guilliman 9

A: Arjac 7 / Guilliman 7

Save: Both 2+/3++

Arjac abilities:

- DMG reduction of 1

- Re-roll failed hits against characters

- Re-roll failed wound rolls of 1

- Heroic intervention

- Counter attack

- Force enemy unit within 1' to fight last

Guilliman abilities:

- Revive with D6 wounds on a 4+

- Re-roll failed hits

- Re-roll failed wound rolls of 1

Weapons:

- Foehammer: S X2 / AP -3 / D D3 (3 against characters)

- Hand of Dominion: S X2 / AP -3 / D 3

- Emperor's sword: S +2 / AP -4 / D 3 + D3 mortal wounds on rolls of 6

- Guilliman: 400

- Arjac plus 2 rune priests: 345

- Arjac plus 3 rune priests: 445

- Arjac plus Njal and 2 rune priests: 498

I'd like to see that duel plus with Arjac you get the 3 Rune priests for almost the same points (who can add D6 mortal wounds per turn), or 2 of them who can help for 55 points less. In any case 17.25 to 25% of your army seems like a good investment for that level of brutality!

Ok you've convinced me. I'll build some DA when I'm done with my army to get the stratagem. Which unit of your codex you'd recommend me adding? Ravenwing looks awesome imho.

None of the Ravenwing are eligible for the Lion and Wolf stratagem as it only works with INFANTRY.  I use a Librarian with jump pack, Aversion, Mind Wipe & Eye of the Unseen.  He actually works really well with the smash team, being able to debuff enemy and force them to fight last.  I'd also take a Wolf Lord instead of 2nd RP.  He can take the Saga of Wolfkin warlord trait and one of the relics, adding another +1 attack to the team.  Plus he'll do a lot more damage in melee than the RP.  Now you have two beatsticks with two buffing psykers. 

Archived