Making Blood Angels from Tooth & Claw

Cleon

Having still played relatively few games of the current edition (three - and not yet taken my Blood Angels out) I'm still looking to find a way to re-descover the enthusiasm that our 'alpha strike charge only' codex killed and as such I've agreed with a mate to take the Primaris half of tooth and Claw in an attempt to try and fill out the starter set Primaris into a viable Primaris focused force using as little of my existing Blood Angel force as possible.

This gives me:

HQ

The starter Gravis Captain + 2 Lieutenants

Elite

Primaris Ancient

Redemptor Dread

3 Aggressors

Troops

10 'Rapid Fire' Intercessors

5 'any build' intercessors

Fast

3 Bolter Inceptors

Heavy

5 'Rapid fire' Plasma Hellblasters

I assume building the new Intercessors as Assault and using the Grenade launcher is best, considering I already have the starter guys with Rapid fire, the Aggressors seem a no brainer for bolters and launchers, but the Dreadnought I have no real clue, I'm leaning towards the onslaught and stormbolters for the secondary weapons, but in practice how does the plasma cannon versus heavy onslaught work out? the plasma seems lacking the damage and shots to make much of a dent anywhere so I'm leaning to the Heavy Onslaught.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to run a force using that core? I have most of the traditional marine range to pick from to fill it out, but I want a force that plays the game, not one that relies on an alphastrike to win or lose turn 1/2

I honestly think going with Assault bolter isn't something you want to do. Sure you can advance&shoot but you can't advance&charge so as soon as you got out of your deployment zone it's simply worse than a Bolt rifle who wants to be close to the enemy as well. The one thing Assault bolter are good for is to stay away from your opponent as much as possible since you get max shot at max range and are more mobile without losing your whole firepower.

Not sure about the Redemptor but iirc people prefer the Plasma with a gatling secondary. I'd go with the heavy onslaught as well tho just because it's way cooler. :P

Honestly Primaris are very one dimensional for the most part regardless of the chapter. Bolt rifle Intercessors, Bolter Aggressors, Rapid fire Hellblaster, Carbine Reiver (if at all), Bolter Inceptor if you can't drop a Captain with them, Las-Repulsor.

Pretty much agree with Panzer. If the assault bolt rifles were the same price, they'd be more attractive, but the higher price hurts them. I have a squad of them, but they haven't blown me away. I usually just run them as the rapid fire. 

For the Redemptor, the plasma cannon is cheaper. It's nice to have more high strength shooting with Primaris, but I've always had terrible luck on the d6 shots. I think both weapons are pretty solid. Definitely go stormbolters over the frag launchers. 

All of above is pretty spot on, the only thing I would disagree pretty strongly with is the plasma on the dread, for a couple reasons -

1. D6 shots super unreliable

2. Mortal wounds when overcharged in 1 or 2 when moving

The Gatling just gels better with the rest of the loadout, and gives you a much more consistent and flexible output vs. plasma.

If you want plasma in Primaris, hellblasters and inceptors are both much better options.

I imagine that next edition will see fully fledged primaris armies replacing original astartes. Patience...

Or apprehension.

I don't want to replace the hundreds if not thousands of dollars and time invested in my marines. I hope they're never replaced. Wishful thinking probably but still, I do love the old marines.

I imagine that next edition will see fully fledged primaris armies replacing original astartes. Patience...

Or apprehension.

I don't want to replace the hundreds if not thousands of dollars and time invested in my marines. I hope they're never replaced. Wishful thinking probably but still, I do love the old marines.

I think he means fluff wise, and crunch wise by removal of the 1A 1W statline replacing tactical marines with primaris statlines.

Models still valid. Nothing removed.

Or apprehension.

I think he means fluff wise, and crunch wise by removal of the 1A 1W statline replacing tactical marines with primaris statlines.

Yeah my comment was more directed at the uncertain future of my collection. The solution would have been just giving marines the primaris stats. Oh well so the hobby goes.

Or apprehension.

Yeah my comment was more directed at the uncertain future of my collection. The solution would have been just giving marines the primaris stats. Oh well so the hobby goes.

Marines have been embiggened before, they'll be embiggened again. 

I get one redemptor from my box sharing. (mainly for the gsc stuff) but the wulf player don't need him. He asked to keep the grenades because he want to exchange his Bolters. What du you think? Are Hb or the grenades better?

Both weapons have the same S, AP (0) and D

2 Fragstorm grenade launcher: 2x Assault D6 shots at 18'' for 8pts

2 Storm bolters: 2x Rapid Fire 2, 24" for 4pts

Both choices are pretty similar when compared on paper, but Storm bolters are cheaper and more consistent. I'd say you'll also get to fire them more often due to better range. The best use of Assault weapons is when you advance into CC, but then you loose the ability to shoot other Redemptors weapons... I'd go storm bolters.

2x Frag launchers = 7 shots average at 18" for 8pts (1.14 pts/shot)

2x storm bolters = 4 shots at 24" and 8 shots at 12" for 4 pts (1pts/shot at 24", 0.5pt/shot at 12")

Storm bolters are more cost effective than frag launchers even before you factor in they have rapid fire. 

Archived