Wrath of Mars, 2000 points, advice and feedback welcome!

Ishagu

So, I'm on a tight budget at the moment as life keeps getting in the way more and more, but I'm not far from completing a themed AdMech force and would love a bit of advice. I only need two purchases to complete the following army and would like to hear if the veterans around here think it would function well.

AdMech Battalion, Mars.

HQ:

-Cawl

-Techpriest Engineseer

Troops:

-5 Vanguard, Plasma Caliver

Elites:

-Cybernetica Datasmith, Autocaducaus of Arkhan Land

Heavy Support:

-4 Kastellan Robots, Twin Phosphor Blasters, Heavy Phosphor Blasters

Imperial Knights detachment, House Raven:

Lords of War

-Castellan Knight, Cawl's Wrath, Ion Bulwark

-Armiger Warglaive, Melta Lance, Melta

Should I drop the Datasmith and try to fit in more Vanguard?

Are rangers worth it? Should I run bigger units and forget about weapon upgrades?

Thanks!

Hi Ishagu 

I would change this about a bit if I were going to run mars, Im also assuming that you dont have access to many more Plasma calivers or you would have put two in each unit , if you do more plasma is always better

AdMech Battalion, Mars. 

HQ:
-Cawl
-Techpriest Engineseer - Raiment of the Technomartyr - Secret tech with your unit of Robots when they are in bucket of dice mode for overwatch

Troops:
-10 Vanguard, 2 x Plasma Caliver
-10 Vanguard, 2 x Plasma Caliver
-10 Vanguard, 1 x Plasma

Elites:
-Useless Bast*rd get him gone - his job is 1 CP and he's otherwise utterly useless

Heavy Support:
-4 Kastellan Robots, Twin Phosphor Blasters, Heavy Phosphor Blasters

Imperial Knights detachment, House Raven:

Lords of War
-Castellan Knight, Cawl's Wrath, Ion Bulwark

I have increased your Vanguard teams because there is no point in taking so many ... Mars massively benefits from bigger units of the wrath of mars and Vanguard are surprisingly good targets to use wrath of mars on ... 30 shots from a block of 10 with their stock weapon, and the 6's to wound are 2 damage plus a mortal wound is nothing to sniff at.

I tend to actually Go with  4 7 man units myself to try to balance against morale but i dont play mars very often I find the static gunline a bit, not my style , So i will go 3 or 4 units of 7 depending on how much board presence i need,

Personally, i like both our troop options rangers have their place they are cheaper and strength 4 is an improvement other strength 3 ... and 2 shots at 15 inchs strength 4 for 5 points per unit cheaper has its advantages too ... 

You're the second person to tell me the Datasmith is useless lol. I like the model but that strategem does appear to make him redundant!

I wish I had more Plasma Caliver but they cost a horrendous amount on ebay, or alternatively I'd have to buy entire squads of men!

For what it's worth (and if I'm remembering correctly), I believe unit sizes of 8 is the optimal spot for protecting your Plasma Calivers, while still keeping a good amount of MSU protection against morale effects. You retain reasonable volume of fire too.

Just a thought that may be of use.

Run the Datasmith as the Engineseer and get the best of both. Sure, it's got some gear that's not wysiwyg, but for something a trivial as an Enginseer is it really a big deal? Besides, if you do give him the relic, well that's why he's got some extra toys - they represent the wargear. Am I overthinking this? I'm overthinking this...

Thank you all. I have made adjustments to the list but the Datasmith has remained because I don't get enough points when removing him to add anything else substantial! If all else fails, it's another character to hide and claim objectives lol

Archived