[Iron Wolves and Firehowlers] Vorek Gnarlfist...

Wispy

...is the current Wolf Lord of the Iron Wolves. He has kept "the sigil of the Iron Wolf to honour his predecessors’ acts of extreme valour."

As for the Firehowlers, Sven Bloodhowl is missing but not outright declared dead. "His Wolf Guard rule in his name until his fate is determined."

Per the Codex.

Yup, and it's kinda frustrating. Keeping the same sigil for three Wolf Lords now for the Iron Wolves is just weird. Not that the 'honour the predecessors' thing is bad per se, but it does call into question the whole 'each WL chooses his own badge' thing. Were Egil and Orven so special that deserved special treatment? Because that wasn't apparent in the Warzone/GS fluff. Or are we now like the other Chapters, Great Company X will always be Great Company X (like the IH 2nd Company is Clan Garrsak and the BA 3rd are the Ironhelms)?

As for the Firehowlers, how are there even men left from this Company given the events of Cadia (applies to Iron Wolves too)? And 'not declared dead'? Sven boarded a Blackstone, didn't get off and said Blackstone was then destroyed and rammed into Cadia. I mean come on, there's optimism and then there's this. Sven can't be the first Jarl to die without leaving a body. Not to mention, it's been 100+ :censored: years. It just reeks of GW not wanting to follow through with the consequences of their fluff progression. If you don't want to deal with the issues and fallout of Wolf Lord succession, don't kill off multiple Lords/Companies at once.

Its the same as Canis wolfborn and being ripped in half by a bloodthirster but he's still alive. Would have been a good excuse to kill off a character and a finecast model. Maybe if they killed off Canis we could get another Wolf Lord character like Erik Morkai.

Would have been neat for Erik to take a liking to Reivers and their combat style as it matched his so close and advocated for them. A better intro than "suddenty the SW were cool with them after they made 1 trial".

Edit: drinking and tapping on a phone is hard

Guest Triszin

Is the same as Canis wolfborn and being ripped in half by a bloodthirster but still alive. Would been a good excuse to kill off a character and a finecast model. Maybe if the killed off Canis we could get another Wolf Lord character like Erik Morkai.

Would have been neat for Erik to taking a liking to Reivers and ntheir combat style as it matched his so close and advocated for them. A better intro than "suddently the SW were cool with them after they made 1 trial".

ya, Canis wolborn is basically a cyborg, Thought I think they retrieved him fast enough (within minutes of getting torn in half) that they probably got him mostly back together.

just like his big dog.

was pretty fun seeing the ironhands reaction to a thunderwolf.

"what in the heck is that... Ya'll using monsters?"

Yup, and it's kinda frustrating. Keeping the same sigil for three Wolf Lords now for the Iron Wolves is just weird. Not that the 'honour the predecessors' thing is bad per se, but it does call into question the whole 'each WL chooses his own badge' thing. Were Egil and Orven so special that deserved special treatment? Because that wasn't apparent in the Warzone/GS fluff. Or are we now like the other Chapters, Great Company X will always be Great Company X (like the IH 2nd Company is Clan Garrsak and the BA 3rd are the Ironhelms)?

As for the Firehowlers, how are there even men left from this Company given the events of Cadia (applies to Iron Wolves too)? And 'not declared dead'? Sven boarded a Blackstone, didn't get off and said Blackstone was then destroyed and rammed into Cadia. I mean come on, there's optimism and then there's this. Sven can't be the first Jarl to die without leaving a body. Not to mention, it's been 100+ :censored: years. It just reeks of GW not wanting to follow through with the consequences of their fluff progression. If you don't want to deal with the issues and fallout of Wolf Lord succession, don't kill off multiple Lords/Companies at once.

I think its less of an unwillingness to follow through with the consequences and ratherlack of resources to actually truly deal with the consequences.

It reeks of a writer having to write around the fact there was no graphic design resources to design two new Great Company badges and a new Annulus image. Most of the Codexes have largely been rehashes of 7th edition books in a graphic design and layout sense, a consequence of getting all rulebooks for 8th out in a year

My last thought is Gnarlfist seems utterly placeholder in the same way Orven Highfell was. Like he's going to be bumped when they can give this proper attention again, perhaps for a proper Primaris Jarl to come along and cement himself in the lore.

Is the same as Canis wolfborn and being ripped in half by a bloodthirster but still alive. Would been a good excuse to kill off a character and a finecast model. Maybe if the killed off Canis we could get another Wolf Lord character like Erik Morkai.

Would have been neat for Erik to taking a liking to Reivers and ntheir combat style as it matched his so close and advocated for them. A better intro than "suddently the SW were cool with them after they made 1 trial".

ya, Canis wolborn is basically a cyborg, Thought I think they retrieved him fast enough (within minutes of getting torn in half) that they probably got him mostly back together.

just like his big dog.

Lol, can you post that section? Just The ironhands reaction?

Guest Triszin

just like his big dog.

Lol, can you post that section? Just The ironhands reaction?

I'll try to find it, I think it was in the 5part mini short story series that branched cruse to wrath

I have to say, while I am pretty happy with the rules and new additions in the book, the fluff was somewhat disappointing. The lack of changes to the Ironwolves and Firehowlers is a bit off-putting and I agree it shows either a lack of willingness or lack of resources to move the narrative forward with consequence. I was hoping we would see a named Primaris Wolf Lord with new icon. In fact the Ironwolves and Firehowlers Great Companies should essentially be completely Primaris Space Marines at this point.

For that matter I was also disappointed we got zero details about the Wolfspear, we still don't know what their color scheme or chapter badge is. Nor were we even given any details about how the Space Wolves will be integrating the Primaris marines moving forward. Blood Claws are still a thing going forward apparently so I guess the chapter is still making old-pattern Space Marines but is also making Primaris Space Marines as well?

Unlike some I am not particularly bothered with the Primaris Space Marines narrative, I am open to moving the narrative forward, but the whole thing currently feels... undercooked. I'm hoping Emperor's Spear gives us some more details about an Ultima Founding chapter at least and it may be Black Library that pushes things forward some more. The whole stuff building around Vigilus narrative looks to me like it might be a convenient warzone where the narrative gets bogged down for a while.

" Blood Claws are still a thing going forward apparently so I guess the chapter is still making old-pattern Space Marines but is also making Primaris Space Marines as well?"

Could be the last generation of Blood Claws - active Blood Claw packs plus packs freshly recruited before Primaris. The Codex is set right when the Primaris Marines just came on the scene , and Tooth and Claw mentions all the participating Primaris are now fully Fenrisian recruited.

Theoretically you can get a century and two of service out of them before  promotion to Greyhunters... If the timeline lurches forward a century or so, there would be no Bloodclaws, only Greyhunters and Longfangs. I really hope Primaris Blood Claws are a thing I can buy and assemble so that initiates-start-as-Bloodclaws is a thing still in the lore when the Primaris are more entrenched and adapted to the Wolves.

I really hope Primaris Blood Claws are a thing I can buy and assemble so that initiates-start-as-Bloodclaws is a thing still in the lore when the Primaris are more entrenched and adapted to the Wolves.

I feel like they could have done this already with Reiver rules and models. I get that for most chapters Reivers have a "scout" feel as forward operating troops but for Wolves they could have tied the close combat armed, scream amplifying models in as Primaris Blood Claws. Big knives instead of chainswords, heavy bolt pistols, screaming and howling their battle cries, amplified to terrorise the foe, as they charge into the ranks of the enemy with typical young wolf exuberance. Instead we get this "close support packs" and "fire support packs" nonsense.

I feel like they could have done this already with Reiver rules and models. I get that for most chapters Reivers have a "scout" feel as forward operating troops but for Wolves they could have tied the close combat armed, scream amplifying models in as Primaris Blood Claws. Big knives instead of chainswords, heavy bolt pistols, screaming and howling their battle cries, amplified to terrorise the foe, as they charge into the ranks of the enemy with typical young wolf exuberance. Instead we get this "close support packs" and "fire support packs" nonsense.

Agreed, honestly the Inceptors as Blood Claws equivalence just strikes me as odd. Yes some Blood Claws like Jump Packs but jump packs and heavy weapons?

I can see Reivers as Wolf Scouts though and I think that makes some sense. As I mentioned above the whole Primaris thing just feels a bit... under done, incomplete. We have yet to see any Primaris Marines that could realistically fill a 1st or 10th company, no recruits or veterans and precious little close combat capability. IMO the pace of codex releases should have been slowed down to give the team more time to flesh out and advance the fluff for each faction and flesh out the Primaris marines a bit more. A veteran and recruit type unit, and a couple more vehicles are all it would take I think.

Missed opourtunity to name Inceptors 'Bloodhowlers' in honour of Jarl Sven Bloodhowl - a passionate user of jump packs - who heroically sacrificed himself at Cadia.

Edit: or maybe name them that in honour of his heroic survival and return, seeing as they're unwilling to declare him dead yet.

Agreed, honestly the Inceptors as Blood Claws equivalence just strikes me as odd. Yes some Blood Claws like Jump Packs but jump packs and heavy weapons?

I can see Reivers as Wolf Scouts though and I think that makes some sense. As I mentioned above the whole Primaris thing just feels a bit... under done, incomplete. We have yet to see any Primaris Marines that could realistically fill a 1st or 10th company, no recruits or veterans and precious little close combat capability. IMO the pace of codex releases should have been slowed down to give the team more time to flesh out and advance the fluff for each faction and flesh out the Primaris marines a bit more. A veteran and recruit type unit, and a couple more vehicles are all it would take I think.

Not to mention so far very limited heavy weapons choices for the Primaris - no dedicated anti-tank/anti-personnel capabilities for example.

Archived