Crusader Conversion Ideas?

H311fi5h

Good day fellow Guardsmen (and -women),

I'm currently looking into converting my own Crusaders since a full squad (or two) of the official resin models would be both boring to look at and quite expensive. Has anyone done this? I don't just want Empire Swordsmen or Bretonian Men at Arms with blue panted swords, but the real grimdark Inquisition vibe, with my conversions matching the 40k-ness of the original.

My ideas so far:

Legs: Scions, Empire Greatswords

Torso: Scions, Empire Greatswords

Arms: Scions, SIsters of Silence

Heads: Skitarii Vanguard

Swords: Sisters of Silence, Grey Knight Strike Squad

Shields: Chaos Warrios?

Bling: Grey Knights Strike Squad, Grey Knights Terminators, Purity Seals from various sources

Finding appropriately looking shields appears to be the biggest issue. The only thing I could come up so far is using Chaos Warrior Shields, cutting off the top and grinding away the Chaos symbols. Any better ideas? Dark Angels Terminator shield look too distinctly Dark Angel, Death Watch storm shields are pretty much out of the question for monetary reasons. I'm also not quite happy with the leg options, as neither of the above wear full plate armor.

If you have made or seen good Crusader conversions, I'd very much appreciate some pictures. If you have ideas where to source good looking bits for this project, please share. Thx in advance.

You can do a lot, anything with a sword and shield counts basically so you're on the right path. Nico has done a few for his Inquisition for example:

I vowed some Crusaders for the Astra Militarum painting event, that will be part of Lord Inquisitor Soulis' retinue:

med_gallery_66537_9465_33192.jpg

If I remember right, Crusaders have flak armour and a storm shield? In which case their bodies don't need to be that well armoured (less so given 40k has armoured weave in the lore, so even normal looking clothing could offer similar protection to flak) :)

Maybe something from the Necromunda range may fit? 

I think a suitable armed Van-Saar would be a cool take on a Crusader (especially with the 'bug' mask on). They also come with two of those power shields which look very cool :smile.: . They have a 'padded assassin' look to them, which would work for the security role they are undertaking.

You could also swap their heads for some of the more armoured looking Skitarii heads.

If you are stuck on shields, what about these ones?:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Stormcast-Eternals-Knights-Excelsior-Upgrades

If I remember right, Crusaders have flak armour and a storm shield? In which case their bodies don't need to be that well armoured (less so given 40k has armoured weave in the lore, so even normal looking clothing could offer similar protection to flak) :smile.:

They wear "Master Crafted Carapace Armor" apparently.

Maybe something from the Necromunda range may fit? 

I think a suitable armed Van-Saar would be a cool take on a Crusader (especially with the 'bug' mask on). They also come with two of those power shields which look very cool :smile.: . They have a 'padded assassin' look to them, which would work for the security role they are undertaking.

You could also swap their heads for some of the more armoured looking Skitarii heads.

If you are stuck on shields, what about these ones?:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Stormcast-Eternals-Knights-Excelsior-Upgrades

I've thought about the Van Saar Shields. Getting 10 without spending a fortune is the issue. 

The Celestian Warbringer shields look interesting. Not quite grimdark enough, but with some purity seals, skulls and Inquisition symbols that can be changed.

Using Skitarii Vanguard heads is pretty much given. I think they just look awesome. The combination of a medieval Sallet helmet with a gas mask is just so 40k.

How about the Custodes shields? I think they look gorgeous on anything trying to be Imperial looking and they should be easy to get from anyone who made spear guardians.

They's be about the same size as a guard model so probably too big. I made one out of a stormtrooper with a shield from Anvil and a Skitarrii Vanguard helmet.

For the shields I can see two options that haven’t been mentioned yet that I’ve considered using for mine in the past.

The first is to use the Templar shields from FW, they’re big but so are crusaders shields, the bigger downside is they are covered in Templar crosses but if you can get past this they look great.

The other option is the shield/tilt plate from Imperial Knights models or similar ones on the Grey Knights Nemesis Dreadknight. Most kits come with two choices so there should be some spares floating around you can pick up cheaply. Again they’re on the larger side but not outrageously so compared to the ones on the stock crusaders :)

KNIGHTTITAN%20(29).JPG

Good day fellow Guardsmen (and -women),

I'm currently looking into converting my own Crusaders since a full squad (or two) of the official resin models would be both boring to look at and quite expensive. Has anyone done this? I don't just want Empire Swordsmen or Bretonian Men at Arms with blue panted swords, but the real grimdark Inquisition vibe, with my conversions matching the 40k-ness of the original.

My ideas so far:

Legs: Scions, Empire Greatswords

Torso: Scions, Empire Greatswords

Arms: Scions, SIsters of Silence

Heads: Skitarii Vanguard

Swords: Sisters of Silence, Grey Knight Strike Squad

Shields: Chaos Warrios?

Bling: Grey Knights Strike Squad, Grey Knights Terminators, Purity Seals from various sources

Finding appropriately looking shields appears to be the biggest issue. The only thing I could come up so far is using Chaos Warrior Shields, cutting off the top and grinding away the Chaos symbols. Any better ideas? Dark Angels Terminator shield look too distinctly Dark Angel, Death Watch storm shields are pretty much out of the question for monetary reasons. I'm also not quite happy with the leg options, as neither of the above wear full plate armor.

If you have made or seen good Crusader conversions, I'd very much appreciate some pictures. If you have ideas where to source good looking bits for this project, please share. Thx in advance.

I posted my Crusaders conversions here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346787-crusader-conversion/

I used bretonian men at arms. not sure if they are still available though.

Unfortunately they are not. Thankfully I snapped up a box before they went out of production. I’ve been wondering what to do with them, and Crusaders is probably the route I will take.

Hello all,

if you and your friends are okay playing with non-GW minis I found these historical Templar infantry. https://fireforge-games.com/military-order/14-templar-infantry.html

All you need is some gumption and a little kit-bashing know-how.

~MinoanFresco

P.S. They also sell pavese [sic] shields, which I think would match the look of GW's crusaders.

Archived