Captain Semper's Adeptus Titanicus project

Captain Semper

+++ADEPTUS TITANICUS+++

maxresdefault.jpg

So it begins!

When this new game came out, I was totally smitten! The minis are fantastic and the game itself is , I think outstanding. Not only the mechanics work, but there is an immersion quality that I haven't felt, since BFG!

So in my attempt to build an Axiom Maniple I purchased my first Warlord!

Here it is:

gallery_27176_14912_172329.jpg

I'm really excited! The funny thing is I have not decided on the Legio yet! Krytos seems a good option, as does Mortis and Metallica... Atarus is not bad either!

This will also be my first attempt ever in magnetisation... AND I plan to use my airbrush for the first time since the late 80s! :ohmy.:

I will go through this project step by step, form building, to magnetising, to painting and applying the decals... I will also maintain a sister thread in the Adpetus Titanicus Forum - so if you want to discuss Adeptus Titanicus in general, go over there - the more the merrier! :smile.:

So, what Legio? The five ones in the box sort of have the advantage of specific decals - but that's not so limiting for me...

Tempestus! Be the first to crack the code on how to do shard camo!

Plus they can be traitor and loyalists, some might say like certain legion you are a fan of...

;P

I don't know what you mean... Doesn't ring a bell... I mean I like the White Scars an' all but surely not that much... :whistling:

Anyways, here's some progress:

gallery_27176_14912_195899.jpg

gallery_27176_14912_241531.jpg

gallery_27176_14912_76581.jpg

gallery_27176_14912_29002.jpg

OK, first off, I try to re-familiarise myself with the airbrush:

med_gallery_27176_14912_84399.jpg

To that, I start with the "easy" task of spraying War Paints' gun metal on the body of the Titan:

med_gallery_27176_14912_154545.jpg

And the end-result:

med_gallery_27176_14912_133148.jpg

Not easy! It turns out I'm completely out of touch - I need to re-learn the basics... I kind of regret to have to get my first try with this model. :ermm:

Be that as it may, I carry on to the Nuln Oil phase:

gallery_27176_14912_96383.jpg

STILL HAVE NOT DECIDED ON THE LEGIO!!!!

And it's not because I can't find the right one, it's because I cannot eliminate so many good options! Krytos maybe...

• 4 weeks later...

Thx Atia,

I think weathering is above my skill level - I'll ruin it... I already went through a lot with this (see here)

The green is 2/3 Army Painter Army Green and 1/3 Mechanicum Grey. I will now proceed to make a Venator Light Maniple to complement Provocator Navus so there will be a bit more stage by stage work. :)

Thx Atia,

I think weathering is above my skill level - I'll ruin it... I already went through a lot with this (see here)

The green is 2/3 Army Painter Army Green and 1/3 Mechanicum Grey. I will now proceed to make a Venator Light Maniple to complement Provocator Navus so there will be a bit more stage by stage work. :smile.:

Try it on some old models first (for example the down side of a rhino or other tank would be great!).

Get either some oil paint or enamel paint (f. e. this one is great for rust streaks, I'm using it myself), white spirits (or enamel thinner from ammo directly, but from my experience it won't matter), aswell as gloss and satin varnishs.

First do a layer of gloss varnish to protect your paint work, than little dots of oil or enamel paint. Let them dry for a bit, than use the thinner to "feather it down". Don't forget to use two different pots, one for washing your brush, one for loading it with thinner. Once done and happy (and never forget, less is more in this case!) just seal it with satin or matt varnish. 

It's actually a quite fun and easy but effective technique =)

Thx everyone, the new Warhounds are on the way, so stay tuned, more will be happening soon!

@Atia: thx for the tip! I’ll give it a go in some old models first, see what happens. These are pretty elaborate instructions! :D

Beautiful Warlord and it's nice to see you modeling.

I was under the impression you got your jollies from driving everyone crazy with your painting contests. :P

Hahaha, it not a lack of drive, it’s a lack of time!

Anyway, any chance we’ll see mighty Honda take on the AT challenge? (Don’t worry, there will be an event about it early in 2019, so you have time to be prepared)! :lol:

That's a beautiful looking Titan right there, Captain! :)

While I can understand the hesitation, picking up some weathering techniques that work can really add a whole new level to your models, especially when it comes to Titans where you would expect a bit of wear and tear ;) In addition to Atia's very good suggestions above, I'd also suggest two very simple tricks that can go a long way:

• sponge weathering: take a small piece of blister sponge (or kitchen sponge, for that matter), pick up some paint (the old Charadon Granite works wonderfully for this, but any dark brown-/grey-/greenish colour can work) and get rid of most of it by "stamping" the sponge on your palette, then use the remaining paint to carefully add small scratches and patches of dirt to your model. Work in several passes and repeat as needed. Due to the texture of the sponge, you will end up with very convincing clusters of weathering that don't really look painted on. Can also be used with silver, especially to create scratches and chipped areas on sharp corners.
  • use a drybrush to carefully brush the colour you use for your base on the lower parts of the model (like the feet, lower armour plates,...). Again, carefully build up the effect in several passes. This will tie the model into its surroundings and give a nice expression of dust and grime.

Both effects are easy to overdo, so it's best to start small and subtle. But if you master those, they'll add a whole new layer to your walking deathmachine -- trust me! :)

They are. And as long as you use an old model to experiment a bit, nothing can go wrong, right? ;)

One piece of advice, though: Once you have practiced your weathering techniques a bit and feel confident enough to use them on an actual model, it also makes sense to start thinking about precisely when to apply decals and how decals and weathering are going to interact (ideally, at least some of the decals will get weathered along with the rest of the model, because the symbols on the armour plates suffer from the same wear and tear). It's really important to plan this out beforehand, lest the finished effect seem off (for instance, seeing pristine symbols and decals on a heavily weathered model).

Oh, yes, for sure - weathering should always be measured in order to be realistic... unless it’s an eastern front Stuka or something! (yes I used to be into that stuff before I discovered GW in 1993...)

It’s funny because when I started this project I set out to re-learn how to use the airbrush and do magnetizing. I did both but also had to do my first large-scale stripping too... Now I’ll have to familiarize myself with weathering... this is turning into a big school for me - crash course too!

Aweeeesome - you can't have enough cute puppies :smile.:

Glad you give the experiment weathering a go - to be honest for me it's the most fun part of painting these days (alongside with transfers and airbrushing haha). 

:thumbsup:

Archived