Armor company question

grimsanity

It is possible. Use the spearhead formation.

However they are weak in combat and it stops them shooting. Basicslly the enemy will charge you and your tank becomes useless. It’s probably worth taking batallions just to fill up the table with men to prevent deep strikers and our tanks being charged.

@wassa so just take basic guard your saying?

Pretty much.

If I wanted a Leman Russ list,  I would probably take 2 battalions with Infantry squads, commanders, and a lord commissar.  Once I had 60 - 100 troops,  I would then take a Spearhead Detachment and fill it with Objective secured Russes.  It's a pretty simple list but also reasonably strong with the screens and the extra command points.

I've been running this for a few matches now. It's powerful but can be vulnerable at the same time. You need some kind of screen, but that doesn't necessarily have to be infantry.

My current approach is a Scion battalion with some drop troops, a Catachan spearhead with 3-4 Russes, 2-3 Hellhounds, a LC, a Tech priest and sometimes some Cyclops and Psykers. The main screen is a superheavy detachment consisting of 3 Armiger Warglaives.

Warglaives hold down the centre, Hellhounds take the flanks, Russes in the back, Scions dropping where needed.

You can look at many things for screens without resorting to Guardsmen or going off-Codex though. Sentinels, Bullgryns, Crusader, more Hellhounds...there's plenty of options.

@wassa so just take basic guard your saying?

Well... "basic guard" is essentially lots and lots of vehicles, with just enough men to grab objectives and provide a screen for charges, characters,  and smite spam. That's how I play anyway.

I've been running this for a few matches now. It's powerful but can be vulnerable at the same time. You need some kind of screen, but that doesn't necessarily have to be infantry.

My current approach is a Scion battalion with some drop troops, a Catachan spearhead with 3-4 Russes, 2-3 Hellhounds, a LC, a Tech priest and sometimes some Cyclops and Psykers. The main screen is a superheavy detachment consisting of 3 Armiger Warglaives.

Warglaives hold down the centre, Hellhounds take the flanks, Russes in the back, Scions dropping where needed.

You can look at many things for screens without resorting to Guardsmen or going off-Codex though. Sentinels, Bullgryns, Crusader, more Hellhounds...there's plenty of options.

Does the techpriest put in work? I have been more amenable to Leman Russ lines with the new cover stratagem, and a tech priest may sometimes make the difference between hitting on 5s or 4s.

Sometimes. Some games a tank will just be shot on one turn and the does nothing, in others they rarely get shot at all so he has nothing to do. But every now and then he can make the difference between damage brackets.

I'd say unless you have something crucial for thos 42 points, he serves a purpose.

Are flamer tauros any good I was thinking of using them with flame sentinels for screens? Maybe with a hellhound or 2.

Tauros assault vehicle is more an interceptor than screen. It wants to be mobile and move more than 10" for that 5++ save. Hit and run, be a distraction. Otherwise you better stay with sentinels as it would cost you less. Tauros has no scout move before turn 1, but this is not that critical as reserves can't come to play till turn 2. If taken as elysian, you can deed strike them and that would bring them with 5++. Both Assault Vehicle and Venator are the best vehicles for Armageddon doctrine as they don't want to stand and shoot, they don't suffer -1 BS for moving, they've got enough movement to not bother for extra range of weapons. But ignoring AP -1 of incoming fire is good, as the enemy will have to add some effort to bring this buggies down and not just throw autocannons and heavy bolters at them.

Are flamer tauros any good I was thinking of using them with flame sentinels for screens? Maybe with a hellhound or 2.

If you take it as Catachan, it could be useful to sweep a weakened enemy unit off of an OBJ and use Crush Them to charge in, though it only has 2 attacks at S4.  But that seems like it could be useful.  Personally, I rock 1 or 2 Tauros Venators on occasion with twin lascannon and those little buggers are always low threat priority for my opponent and can sneak onto unclaimed OBJs since they are so fast.  They are fun to play.  

I've toyed with the armored only idea and I think this is competitive:

++ Super-Heavy Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [78 PL, 1353pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Regimental Doctrine: Astra Millitarum

+ Lord of War +

Baneblade [28 PL, 524pts]: Autocannon, Demolisher cannon, Twin heavy bolter
. 2 Lascannon & Twin Heavy Bolter Sponsons: 2x Lascannon, 2x Twin heavy bolter

Macharius Vulcan [24 PL, 357pts]: Twin Heavy Stubber

Shadowsword [26 PL, 472pts]: Twin heavy bolter
. 2 Lascannon & Twin Heavy Bolter Sponsons: 2x Lascannon, 2x Twin heavy bolter

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [41 PL, 646pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +