Banners on Sword Brothers / Sergeants

Cognative

Hello Battle Brothers!

I've been trying to add more flair to my Sword Brethren, especially those used in Crusader squads. How do you all feel about backpack banners? I haven't been using them mostly because I'm bad at freehanding/they take up a lot of room in my case/they tend to snap off, but when I look at pictures of 10 man tactical squads, I really enjoy the banners on Sergeants.

Opinions? Pictures of your dudes? General thoughts on BT Bling?

Backpack banners are as wildly impractical in reality as they are in-universe; they are nonetheless quintessentially Space Marine.

I love them, and use them mostly as individualising extras, not strictly for hierarchical identifiers. I just treat them as a canvas for adding some more heraldry or crusade badges :)

I think i only have one banner in my army and it's on my chaplain. I know chaplains are effective at melee, but their true purpose is to stand out and be seen by their "congregation" so the wildly impractical backpack banner makes sense on them. That's my view anyway. My sword brethren get that double skull icon that comes in the Black Templar upgrade kit

For practical reasons you can magnetise those on the backpack for transportation.

I never use banners, just because i sometimes using Sword Brothers from crusader squads as Sternguard or Vanguard unit. And it will be stupid to have a unit with banners.

For practical reasons you can magnetise those on the backpack for transportation.

I never use banners, just because i sometimes using Sword Brothers from crusader squads as Sternguard or Vanguard unit. And it will be stupid to have a unit with banners.

You make some good points about using models for different roles, but I've got so many Marines that really isn't an issue for me. I'll have to get all my infantry out and in formation before I start adding banners

I may look at magnetizing the banners to the backpacks instead of the whole backpack itself.

I like putting the banners on my squads, adds extra flair! Also it plays mind games with my opponents, who often think the Sword Brothers are characters!

The banner in the upgrade kit is pretty chunky, but I have gone for a simple scheme with mine. Red banner with the veteran symbol from the tactical kit. It looks good and works as an alternative to the Templar Cross.

I actually really like the small banners you get in the 30k marine kits. Look good but not oversized. 

I find a good alternative the banner are the little skull/shine things from the upgrade kit. Also if you want a really smaller "banner" just use the eagle from the top of tactical squad flag.

B9hmRHk.jpg
VJe1iRj.jpg
gSCyuR0.jpg
NJlyRX6.jpg
sbPtckG.jpg

Thanks for the pics Mordian!

I think what's really been stopping me is that my Marines aren't set up in actual squads. I just tend to pull what I need out of my foam.

I'm in the process of changing that though as 8th edition has really pushed me to be more narrative than competitive. And I think for narrative games, set squads with heraldry just look so good.

Say what?

gallery_85153_14919_257184.png

Archived