Techmarine

noigrim

So I have been debating commenting on this for a while as - to be completely blunt - some people can't cope with constructive feedback. I don't know you on this forum, and have not seen any comments on your recent posts that has helped me to gauge whether it is welcome or not. So I just need to begin by saying the comments are meant to help, not offend.

Positives (i.e. ONLY read this if you don't want critiques):

- Not a bad conversion

- It is an interesting idea to have a generic Techmarine

- I like how you have cut and combined transfers to get what you want

- That is a surprisingly flat yellow on the light (yellow and white are hard colours to paint)

Negatives (i.e. DO NOT read if you don't want critiques):

- Quite a few mould lines that are very visible (it's only a minor thing though, so if you don't care about it, whatever)

- I would honestly not recommend drybrushing flat armour

- The whole model looks like it is in desperate need of either a highlight or a shade - the easiest solution would be to cover the whole model with Agrax Earthshade as that should cover the worst of the drybrush marks and still provide contrast between the base colour and the 'highlight' by clearly defining the indents in the armour and weapons (just don't get it on the yellow)

- The transfer on the left shoulder pad is a mess. Honestly, if you can, I would just take it off and do it again - maybe it is just the photos, but it looks like there are so many air pockets, it's just not flat at all.

To help fix the transfer though I would say there are three things that have gone wrong here.

1. It's too big - cut as close to the image as possible - the less surface area the less you have to worry about how spreading it all out

2. The shape of the shoulder pad - the curve makes it hard to apply transfers - cut the image into halves or even quarters and apply a piece at a time. It's a bit fiddly to match them up but it really helps them to hug the curves of the pad

3. It looks like you tried to apply it straight to the paint - gloss varnish the surface first - transfers get stuck to paint pretty easily so you have limited time to position them before it's too late. If you apply gloss varnish first, you can move the transfer as much as you like as long as it stays damp. Then just leave it to dry and put another coat of varnish over the top to seal it. If you don't want it shiny, a coat of matt/satin spray varnish to finish will fix it.

I agree that mould lines could have been removed and the transfer could have been cropped a bit more, however the drybrushed armour looks just fine to me

Archived