Scout Sentinel Loadouts.

Demonictom

I am planning on getting 3 Scout Sentinels for my caidian army, but I am torn between giving them all autocannons, or multilasers and hunterkiller missiles.

What would be best to have so I can run them in a brigade. I am planning to use them to move after everything is setup to get into cover/get off some good shots.

Thanks.

Lascannons. Always lascannons. A sentinel must take a weapon. The cheapest weapon is the multilaser, for 10 points. The lascannon on a Scout Sentinel is in essence, a 10 point lascannon. Therefore, it's the cheapest Lascannon in game. I use them, I swear by them. The 10 point lascannon means Sentinels are dangerous, which means they have a target priority rather than just being ignored, and if they are ignored, you have a chance of nailing someone with an additional Lascannon shot and that's enough to kill Mortarion. With 3 on the field, you are statistically likely to hit 1 shot per turn even while moving, and since Scout Move doesn't happen in the Movement Phase, you get a free 9in movement on turn one and can fire the Lascannons at full accuracy.

I like to equip them with heavy flamers and run them forwards into the enemy as distractions.

They are good for scoring a wound to enable you to use Overlapping Fields of Fire for your heavier guns.

They can be charged which is fine as flamers auto hit on overwatch, and I'd rather they get charged and have my gunline intact.

If they survive then fall back and shoot them with the rest of your troops.

I like to equip them with heavy flamers and run them forwards into the enemy as distractions.

They are good for scoring a wound to enable you to use Overlapping Fields of Fire for your heavier guns.

They can be charged which is fine as flamers auto hit on overwatch, and I'd rather they get charged and have my gunline intact.

I use Artemias for that. Not only is the main gun far more dangerous, they are more likely to explode when the opponent kills them.

I don't know if Scout Sentinels have a purpose anymore with no more first-turn deep strikes. They aren't as necessary to fill FA slots for brigades, either, since most folks prefer battalions or have better FA options. Armored Sentinels can be fire support as mentioned, but you can easily buy a loaded Leman Russ for the cost of three sentinels, so I am not sure they are necessary either.  Sentinel Powerlifters are actually pretty bad-ass if you have the extra heavy slot. The only issue being that they are no longer in production.

I use Artemias for that. Not only is the main gun far more dangerous, they are more likely to explode when the opponent kills them.

I don't know if Scout Sentinels have a purpose anymore with no more first-turn deep strikes. They aren't as necessary to fill FA slots for brigades, either, since most folks prefer battalions or have better FA options. Armored Sentinels can be fire support as mentioned, but you can easily buy a loaded Leman Russ for the cost of three sentinels, so I am not sure they are necessary either.  Sentinel Powerlifters are actually pretty bad-ass if you have the extra heavy slot. The only issue being that they are no longer in production.

I agree, Scout Sentinels are cool but there original purpose in 8th was to deny deep strike and T1 charges. Now that is no longer possible I tend to find Armoured sentinels are much better. My favorite Armoured Sentinel loadout is with a Lascannon and as Steel Legion. Tucked in cover (which is quite easy to do as sents are small) you have a T6 6 wounds model with a 2+ save that ignores AP-1. That is seriously hard to shift unless the enemy dedicated proper anti tank to kill it, which means less anti tank against my russes. And as another user said, if the enemy ignores them then they will get hit by 1-2 lascannon shots which is going to hurt. 

They are cheap and might be useful. HKM are pesonal preference. But a lascannon > missile launcher currently. The flexiblity is a trap. As guard you will have more than enough anti infantry that the frag missile is not worth the loss of S and Ap of a Krak missile vs a lascannon

Archived