FW units available to Blood Angels.

Subsided

Hello,

I came across a Relic Whirlwind Scorpius in a battle report and I feel it can really help my list. Is this usable by Blood Angels? Would it get re-rolls from our auras if added? Do I have to take any specific detachment for it or does it just get plugged in as a slot (this one is an Elite oddly).

Thanks I don't use FW models much but had enough to pretty much convert the thing on a Rhino.

Imperial Armour - Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes lists it as available to any Space Matine chapter. So yes it is usable by Blood Angels.

As per rules errata: If your army is Battle-forged, no Detachment can contain more Relic units than it does non-Relic units of the same Battlefield Role.

So put it in your detachment but you must include at least one more elite choice.

Most auras affect Blood Angels units, thus vehicles are affected unless otherwise stated.

Strictly speaking, Blood Angels were added in the FAQ to Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes.

"FAQs Q: Are there any restrictions on which Chapter I can choose when replacing the [CHAPTER] Faction keyword on datasheets within this book?

A: Yes. You cannot choose for any of these units to be from the Legion of the Damned or Grey Knights Chapters. They can be from any other Chapter though, including Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Deathwatch"

Barring the detachment Relic unit limit Spyros mentions, you treat it like any other BA vehicle. The scorpius is significantly more effective than a usual whirlwind as it gets to shoot twice when stationary, but it's not super powered. Simple conversion though for a counts-as; the scorpius launcher is quite different to the usual whirlwind box launcher, but you could probably kitbash something around 30k missile launchers.

Hey thanks! 

I actually couldn't find what it really looked like. When I googled it I see lots of different turret images and when I go to Forgeworld it brings up Legion Deimos Pattern Whirlwind Scorpius. Which to a complete newbe.. I wasn't sure if that was the same thing at all. Those missle pods don't seem to match how the unit itself fires tho (the 6d6 if not moving) pewpewpew feel.

Yup, you found the right one on forgeworld. It's a forgeworld 30k unit using a missile launcher based on the one for 30k marines, that was itself inspired by the ancient RTB01 missile launcher. It's usable in 40k as a relic with the forgeworld index. It fires twice (when it doesn't move) because it has two rapid fire drum fed missile launchers, and old twin-linked doubled weapons (that used to provide a hit re-roll) basically now just double the number of shots in most cases in 8th. Standard Whirlwinds would be sometimes be seen on the tabletop if they got the same logical rule as the Scorpius - it too has two box launchers, but they're still treated as a single weapon system.

Rogue Trader era missile launcher:

blogger-image--2036734196.jpg

Mk IV plastic marines (launcher on left)

60010101001_BetrayalOfCalthBoxedGame06.j

And the scorpius.

99590101333_LEGIONDEIMOSPATTERNSCORPIUS3

Currently running four FW models in my 2000 point list: two each of Sicarans (HB sponsons) and Deimos Vindicators. FW is the place to look if you want a solid firebase without using allies, though for its points I'm struggling to justify including the Scorpius.

Archived