Getting back into the hobby

Sister_Miriya

How's it going! First off, this will be a very slow WIP of my beloved SoB. However, there are a few obstacles I must tackle first:

1) No workspace

2) Broke as a joke

3) Adulting

The last two points we can't do much about now can we? However I recently acquired a suitable workspace in the form of a second hand shed! Starting tomorrow I'll be assembling it and posting my progress on my work area.

Hope someone takes a look at this new endeavor of mine because I'm super excited!

Welcome Sister, we certainly look forward to what you will be sharing.

1) No workspace

This can actually work in your favor. No dedicated work space can mean that you just have to force yourself to finish  one thing before starting on another. Keep it all organized in a shoebox or some other container and just move it around with you wherever you decide to stop and work a bit.

2) Broke as a joke

Again,  use this to your advantage. Trade scads of stuff for more time spent on individual models.Save up for some greenstuff and learn  how to sculpt things so  your models look customized and can have extra attention given to their paint.

Also, don't be afraid to dunk a model in paint stripper that you aren't completely happy with and do it over. Look for deals, consider using some craft grade paints  for certain applications (i.e. broad areas of coverage) so you can focus your pennies on key things like good brushes and a few quality paints for highlights.

3) Adulting

Yeah, welcome to the world. It's where we all hang out. :)

Thank you both for your kind words! The limited workspace should, in theory, be fixed come next weekend. The shed I'll be assembling tomorrow is 10' x 14'.

Sadly it will not solely be a dedicated work area, I have to store my army gear in there as well.

Thank you both for your kind words! The limited workspace should, in theory, be fixed come next weekend. The shed I'll be assembling tomorrow is 10' x 14'.

Sadly it will not solely be a dedicated work area, I have to store my army gear in there as well.

If you really think about it, army gear is really just 40k accessories anyway...

So good and bad news! Good news, I managed to get the base squared, threw. Down some floor boards, the walls and most of the roof despite some fairly gusty winds....

Which leads me to the bad news, one of the roof panels is missing!!!! No idea where it is so I'm hoping my friend has it at his place and it simply got left behind.

Welcome! Fingers crossed that your missing roof panel can be found. 

I know what it's like to not have much of a budget for a fairly expensive hobby, but in the coming months you might keep an eye on eBay and some of the mini trade sites for people dumping their old metal SoB models for the newer plastics that GW has announced. 

Anyone know a good photo host service? I used to use photobucket however they seem to not work now a days :/

Imgur, or the B&C's own hosting service. It's what most people use.

I've used Imgur for 6+ years, have almost 4000 images saved to my gallery, never paid a cent to use it, and have never had a problem with my images disappearing. I highly recommend it. 

Archived