Hvy. Stubbers and Storm Bolters: Worth It?

Rommel44

To me they always seemed perfect for filling points out. A cheap upgrade that might actually do something, but most guard vehicles either put out enough better quality shots, or are targeted towards bigger enemies than a pintle would be (which just makes it easy to forget to shoot them). Some other armies might consider sticking them on everything, but with guard you can just bring another squad of troops for the cost, which is probably better.

Absolutely worth it. 

Heavy Stubbers (now down to 2pts) for Tallarn, Storm Bolters for everyone else who suffers -1 modifiers when moving and shooting Heavy weapons.

-Ran

I'd consider heavy stubbers on certain Cadian vehicles too, because they'll be avoiding movement as much as possible in order to take advantage of Born Soldiers.

Absolutely worth it. 

Heavy Stubbers (now down to 2pts) for Tallarn, Storm Bolters for everyone else who suffers -1 modifiers when moving and shooting Heavy weapons.

-Ran

I'd consider heavy stubbers on certain Cadian vehicles too, because they'll be avoiding movement as much as possible in order to take advantage of Born Soldiers.

I agree with this conclusion. 2pts for an extra gun is a pretty great deal. With 8th edition's split fire, you are not penalised for having a gun mismatch on your model. In addition, a tank commander gets even more use out of a stubber with the bs3+. With my Tallarn, I'm a step away from calling stubbers an auto-take.

I have Heavy Stubbers on most of my Leman Russes, and on all of my Chimeras. I built them all during previous editions when the Heavy Stubber was a way better choice than a Stormbolter, but now in 8th, you could get more shots with the Stormbolter in rapid fire range, which really helps make up for the BS 4+. I did put Stormbolters on my Taurox Primes though, I thought it was a better choice at the time because the Tauroxes are fast and I would tend to be more aggressive with my Scions which would put them in rapid fire range more often.

As a rule of thumb in a Guard army, the more shots you can fire from a single model, the better! The only vehicles of mine that didn't get either a Heavy Stubber or a Stormbolter are Hydras, Manticores, and Basilisks because I usually deploy them out of line of sight of the enemy so it would be a waste of points on the atillery pieces.

Man, I would love to be able to take Heavy Stubbers in Infrantry Squads, or maybe even in Conscript Squads!

Makes me wish that heavy stubbers were an option as a special weapon.

Join the Krieg my boy! Those Grenadiers get stubbers!

My problem with Krieg heavy stubbers is that they get paired with 18" rifles. Sadly, I don't think GW realizes how much of a penalty that lack of 6" range really is. Or maybe they do, since they were made free now.

Archived