Veterans: Still not worth Taking?

Rommel44

A 5 man scion squad with two plasma and a pistol is 76p I think. A Command squad with 4 plasma is 80p. A vet squad with three plasma and a pistol is what...99p now?

I prefer Scions in that comparison. They're simply more flexible and won't be shoot off before they can do something.

A 5 man scion squad with two plasma and a pistol is 76p I think. A Command squad with 4 plasma is 80p. A vet squad with three plasma and a pistol is what...99p now?

I prefer Scions in that comparison. They're simply more flexible and won't be shoot off before they can do something.

Also Elimination Protocols Sanctioned is fantastic against tough targets - I say just accept the plasma losses because they enemy is going to wipe them off the table next turn anyway.

Vet squad with triple plasma and pistol is only 88. Adding a Platoon leader with plasma pistol and the Dagger is 113 all told. With Armageddon Doctrine, like I use, that pseudo-deep strike is Rapid Firing Plasma at 18". Let's so those toy soldiers do that.

Chimera got a points reduction...My Steel legion veterans think very much so other wise. I load up on Plasma and it works. Two units at least in every list.

Krash

Granted it does depend on which Regiment you are running imo. Steel Legion Veterans in Chimeras are a good option, but in the case of Valhallan and Tallarn (the other 2 best Regiments for Mechanized Infantry), they aren't as effective from what I have seen.

Problem with Scions is that you need to take a completely seperate Detachment in order to field them. Whereas the Veterans don't have such an issue and can be apart of the same Detachment.

You realize that scions can be in any detachment without messing up any regimental doctrine right? The just don't have access to any stratagems without their own detachment or orders without an officer. A brigade of steel legion with 5 steel legion infantry squads and 1 squad of scions is still a legal steel legion brigade.

You realize that scions can be in any detachment without messing up any regimental doctrine right? The just don't have access to any stratagems without their own detachment or orders without an officer. A brigade of steel legion with 5 steel legion infantry squads and 1 squad of scions is still a legal steel legion brigade.

Well they mess up their own doctrine, which is quite powerful. I usually just put them in a patrol if I want a couple of squads. They are pretty good as a Drop Force detachment.

Well they mess up their own doctrine, which is quite powerful. I usually just put them in a patrol if I want a couple of squads. They are pretty good as a Drop Force detachment.

True, but I was responding to the claim that they require their own detachment. I definitely agree that their very powerful in their own detachment.

True, but I was responding to the claim that they require their own detachment. I definitely agree that their very powerful in their own detachment.

Sure, they don't require a detachment. I would probably never take them as part of a standard detachment though, as they are pointed with their doctrine in mind. I can see myself possibly doing it if I needed a troop choice or two for a detachment, but that is unlikely. Or maybe if I had already taken 3 detachments and couldn't take a 4th, say I wanted a superheavy and some assassins.

I wish there was a cheaper way to get veterans within 6" from reserve, like scions can with a valkyrie. I guess you could use a valkyrie but that is risking your commander with drop chute rolls. Right now, the only risk free way I know is the cp heavy ambushing blade formation, which is silly.

Archived