Phases interactions

BlackTriton

A big point of discussion in 8ed was those abilities that function "as if you where in X phase" . 

It was discussed here a few time.

Now, to my knowledge, the general consensus is that as if an action occurs "as if you where in X phase" = everything that applies to X phase also applies to this action.

Nothing in WH40k really challenged this interpretation.

Yet, In the most recent Age of Sigmar (a very similar system developed by the same people) this very issue was clarified.

Now my question is: Do you believe this text could be relevant to 40k also?

For reference:
Q: If I use an ability that allows a unit to do something in the hero phase as if it were a different phase, can I use abilities that could affect it in that phase in the hero phase? For example,
if I was allowed to make a shooting attack with a unit in my
hero phase as if it were my shooting phase, would an ability
that allowed me to make an extra attack with that unit in my shooting phase apply?

A: No to both questions. Abilities that state they can
only be used or only apply in a certain phase can only
be used in that phase and/or their effects will only apply in that phase. So, if an ability says you can use it in your movement phase, it can only be used in your movement phase, or if an ability said it applied in your shooting phase, you can only apply its effects in your shooting phase, and so on.

For 40k there is at least one precedent that is the opposite of the AoS ruling:

Tyranids FAQ, Page 3, bottom left:

"Q: Can Opportunistic Advance Stratagem [NB: used 'in the Movement Phase'] be used when a unit is affected by the Swarmlord's Hive Commander ability, the Overrun Stratagem, or the Mind Eater Warlord Trait? [NB: all make a move/advance as if it were the Movement Phase]

A: Yes in all cases. Please note the FAQ above regarding advancing multiple times in a single phase [NB: you don't get to roll the advance dice multiple times, but this part is irrelevant to the main question]"

So that is a major precedent for "as if it were X phase" is "it's a mini X phase."

Archived