How do you make Platoons?

Marshal Rohr

I don't really play pick up games or matched play, so as long as the power level cost for LTs and Command Squads isn't through the roof I might be able to pull it off. The two commanders for every Battalion though seems counter-intuitive, because then I have enough 'Lieutenants' but also an extra.

That’s probably what I’ll end up doing, even though commissars with the Krieg are kind of counter to their lore. Maybe it can be a commissar training outfit to show them how it’s done :biggrin.:

Krieg has Commissars. One of the main characters of the book "Dead Men Walking" is a Krieg Commissar. However, they serve a different function to normal. They are there to stop the Kriegsmen getting a bit too zealous and throwing their lives away too readily.

Except its not though...two troop choices could be 100 men if you wanted. Now you basically never see Platoon commanders any more in matched play. Fundamentally they changed Guard in that aspect for the worst due to how "unfluffy" according to the lore it is. Of course in Matched play your not going for Fluffyness, but still.

Guard as a whole should demand regimented structure. Not just willy nilly take what you want. Guard have always been about regimented tactics and stagnation(both in game and in fluff), it was part of there charm.

Krash

Sorry but the lore argument is demonstrably untrue. The variations in Guard tactics is as wide as there are authors of the Black Library or hell even in the Codex. Ciaphas Cain has the Guard as a modern, flowing mechanized infantry force. The Tanith First and Only is a similarly fluid light infantry regiment. Mordians are by the books hyper regimented forces. Kriegers are super disciplined and regimented forces. Catachans show a common disregard for traditional guard regimental structure and operate in looser units of organization.

To say that pick and choose like this is unfluffy is flat out wrong.

That’s probably what I’ll end up doing, even though commissars with the Krieg are kind of counter to their lore. Maybe it can be a commissar training outfit to show them how it’s done :biggrin.:

Krieg has Commissars. One of the main characters of the book "Dead Men Walking" is a Krieg Commissar. However, they serve a different function to normal. They are there to stop the Kriegsmen getting a bit too zealous and throwing their lives away too readily.

I’ve always loved that. The mental image of a commissar having to pull people off the ladders from going over the trenches, saying ‘wait until the shelling stops, you doofus’

You can go much further than that. There are forces in the Guard that are literally just primative tribes that are shipped off to fight the enemy. You have regiments made up entirely of noble cavalry, or hive gangs that are just turned loose. I don't think there is a fighting style that can be thought of that wouldn't make sense as a Guard regimental doctrine.

Except its not though...two troop choices could be 100 men if you wanted. Now you basically never see Platoon commanders any more in matched play. Fundamentally they changed Guard in that aspect for the worst due to how "unfluffy" according to the lore it is. Of course in Matched play your not going for Fluffyness, but still.

Guard as a whole should demand regimented structure. Not just willy nilly take what you want. Guard have always been about regimented tactics and stagnation(both in game and in fluff), it was part of there charm.

Krash

Not to mention that there were no soup armies abusing cheap Conscripts and Guardsmen before GW blew up the Force Org Chart. That was the worst mistake that they made in 8th edition, it has by far been the most direct cause of all of the problems in the game this edition. It used to be that Imperial Guard armies were unique for having large numbers of rank-and-file Guardsmen, now every Imperial army has them! What's worse, for a while there, the greenest recruits of the Imperial Guard were pulling duty as the Honour Guard for the Primarch of the Ultramarines! So much for fluffy armies, lol!

Krash

Sorry but the lore argument is demonstrably untrue. The variations in Guard tactics is as wide as there are authors of the Black Library or hell even in the Codex. Ciaphas Cain has the Guard as a modern, flowing mechanized infantry force. The Tanith First and Only is a similarly fluid light infantry regiment. Mordians are by the books hyper regimented forces. Kriegers are super disciplined and regimented forces. Catachans show a common disregard for traditional guard regimental structure and operate in looser units of organization.

Nope the structure is still exactly the same. Don't take what I'm saying personality, I'm not attacking anyone here, and seems like your getting overly defensive. Regardless of regiment you have a chain of command regardless. Look at each and every codex from 3rd on. Its exactly the same. Black Libray isn't a good source as it's authors interpretation/opinions. Go by codex fluff. And not the "You play can play your dude how you want" argument I know that already. I'm also speaking "generally" here. I understand more exotic regiments blah blah blah...but the fact is. There is still a Commander/Platoon Commander/Sergeant type of structure.  

Krash

Krash

Not to mention that there were no soup armies abusing cheap Conscripts and Guardsmen before GW blew up the Force Org Chart. That was the worst mistake that they made in 8th edition, it has by far been the most direct cause of all of the problems in the game this edition. It used to be that Imperial Guard armies were unique for having large numbers of rank-and-file Guardsmen, now every Imperial army has them! What's worse, for a while there, the greenest recruits of the Imperial Guard were pulling duty as the Honour Guard for the Primarch of the Ultramarines! So much for fluffy armies, lol!

And yes this 100% if we still had the Platoon structure we wouldn't have imperial soup armies using us to CP farm...or if they chose to then they would need to invest in a significant amount of points to do so...this was a Backwords move by GW

Krash

Nope the structure is still exactly the same. Don't take what I'm saying personality, I'm not attacking anyone here, and seems like your getting overly defensive. Regardless of regiment you have a chain of command regardless. Look at each and every codex from 3rd on. Its exactly the same. Black Libray isn't a good source as it's authors interpretation/opinions. Go by codex fluff. And not the "You play can play your dude how you want" argument I know that already. I'm also speaking "generally" here. I understand more exotic regiments blah blah blah...but the fact is. There is still a Commander/Platoon Commander/Sergeant type of structure.  

Krash

I'm afraid you don't quite understand what people are talking about then with Fluff. The Codex provides the standard explanations of how the Guard is organized, but the Guard has many exceptions to that organization such that it is more common to deviate from the standard practice than to follow it to the letter. Much like the Codex Astartes, some people will take it seriously, others not so much. The Black Library is the fluff of the 40k universe, to say to just ignore it because it's a bad source means that you're then just ignoring the fluff. If you want to argue that the crunch of platoons is established policy since 3rd, that's one argument, but to make the claim that alternative organizations are not common if not the norm because of Fluff reasons, is simply incorrect.

Archived