RoB tiles and Primus (Primaris) Redoubt

Nyx of the Night

Bit of a weird question/thought I've been having.  I've been looking at the datasheets for the various RoB tiles that forgeworld produces.  I can find rules for 3 of them as a fortification, the Castellum Stronghold (in Index Astartes), the Necron Tomb Citadel (in Index Xenos), and the Primus Redoubt (in Index Guard and named primaris for some reason.)  I'm sure this is no news to anyone, just setting the scene for my question.

Anyway, if one looks at the datasheets for both the Castellum Stronghold and the Tomb Citadel, there is a section that explains that this fortification is a realm of battle tile comprising of multiple things.  If one looks at the Primus Redoubt, there is no such disclaimer.  It is simply described as a single model with wargear options and the ability to transport some other models, much like other similar fortifications, such as the imperial bastion or firestorm redoubt.

I have scoured through the most up to date FAQs for these three FW indexes, and can see no errata or faq question changing the redoubt to be a "realm of battle tile" like the others, no clarifying that one should treat it as such.  Therefore, I am lead to assume that one does not need to play it as such, and if one were to build there own matching the dimensions of the building on the FW tile, one could legally play it as a normal fortification.

Thoughts?

I do not ascribe to the belief that everything must be the official model, custom models and counts as are perfectly legal to me.

That said, they do have to achieve the same footprint and profile, within an acceptable deviation, which is up to the two players to decide, and no one else.  Tournaments have a TO to make that judgement beforehand, of course.

The real question here is, what comprises the footprint of the redoubt?  Surely not the entire battle tile, I can't think of anyone that would make that argument.  In my opinion, the footprint is the space on the tile taken up by the fortification itself.  Even the other two tiles I mentioned seem to indicate that the buildings themselves, which are treated separately in the game, have their own footprints taken up by themselves.

So that leads me to believe that if one had a fortification that had a footprint as close as possible to the building on the tile, and had the same general structure and weapons loadout, it should be legal, as long as the players (or TO) concurred.  Granted, this is all hypothetical, since I probably will never get around to this.

Archived