Need a Massive damage dealer...

major higgins

Hi Comrades, 

I've found my list now (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/352509-strugglling-between-two-loves/) But what I need is a unit capable to deal lot of damage in a single phase.

I have around 170pt dropping MoO, a Basilisk and some spare points. What option than?

Another Punisher?

A Vulture?

Drop 5 Death Riders and got a Couple of Hell Hounds?

I need to kill something like 120 Plague zombies (run by my usual opponent) in three turns or so... HELP!!!

The vulture has been curiously immune so far to the massive nerfs that all other FW flyers have received (aside from then Hellstrike nerf), which makes me think that GW is likely to adopt it sometime around when they pull the plug on FW.

I proxied a vulture a couple times and found it underwhelming fighting nurgle is depressing. Hit, wound, invul, fnp. 40 shots, 1 dead.

I dont have a good suggestion but I'd look for something that has multiple damage, makes the fnp more difficult. Might be a solid case for exterminator leman russ or massed autocannon teams.

Edit: I read plague zombie and assumed plague bearers. Poxwalkers might change my decisions.

The best thing I can think to do with a vulture, that can't be done with something like a punisher russ, is to fly over the enemy so that a character is the closest model. Then unload everything into it. Unlike in previous editions, you can fire out of the back of a vehicle no problem. As long as there is space to place the model, no flying assault units and not too much short range AT, it can be alright. That is quite a narrow set of circumstances though.

What about an allied Elysian Drop Troops Vanguard Detachment with:

-Elysian Company Commander

-2 x Elysian Veteran Squads with Lasguns

-Elysian Officer of the Fleet

Place in reserve, Turn 2 drop them within 12" of an enemy Pox Walker horde, give both Vet squads "First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire," then hit the Pox Walkers with 80 x S3 shots at BS3+, rerolling 1s thanks to Officer of the Fleet... should average 20-21 wounds, which kills a Max Pox Walker squad of twenty in a single round. In future rounds, you can continue to move up and keep using the FRF, SRF to unleash tons of shots and hopefully kill a Pox Walker squad every shooting phase.

Altogether, this totals 200 points and gives you +1CP for a Vanguard detachment. If you don't need them for this role, then just use them as super mobile objective snatchers.

Place in reserve, Turn 2 drop them within 12" of an enemy Pox Walker horde, give both Vet squads "First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire," then hit the Pox Walkers with 80 x S3 shots at BS3+, rerolling 1s thanks to Officer of the Fleet... should average 20-21 wounds, which kills a Max Pox Walker squad of twenty in a single round. In future rounds, you can continue to move up and keep using the FRF, SRF to unleash tons of shots and hopefully kill a Pox Walker squad every shooting phase.

Altogether, this totals 200 points and gives you +1CP for a Vanguard detachment. If you don't need them for this role, then just use them as super mobile objective snatchers.

That's a very pricey way to kill pox-walkers. Punisher tank commander w/ HB sponsons will cost less and be more useful for an entire game. Heavy 20 S5 (shooting twice with grinding advance) plus 9 HB shots and a 3+ BS, will kill reliably kill a squad of pox-walkers per turn. The tank commander can give himself gunners kill on sight. If you use tallarn doctrine even his sponsons hit on a 3+. Obviously there's a risk of being charged, but if you bring a mortar squad, you're going to chew through any low toughness models.

Officer of the fleet doesn't work for non-FLY units any more.

I love weighing in on ways to destroy the heretics!

However need some more info.

Do you mean pox walkers when you say plague zombies, or perhaps plague bearers? I'm not aware of a unit called plague zombies. Not trying to be pedantic, but for example with one base attack plague bearers can be tied up in close combat more easily.

Also squad size useful info, if they running as smaller squads for example Punisher less effective as tends to overkill unit.

I think your list should already have the tools to deal with this. You have lots of horde yourself (infantry). Be aggressive with them. The game is moving towards winning the mission as opposed to wiping out enemy.

Some infantry tips for anti-horde

• Order efficiency -  FRFSRF is ordered at start of shooting phase, you can use the consolidate squad strategem in movement phase. This allows one order of FRFSRF (or 'without mercy' if Krieg) to be used on the one large squad.
  • You can trap enemy squads in place by moving to just over 1" away and blocking path. They then have to charge you. Controlling this 'combat line' is crucial and often not used well. Even if they obliterate your squad (40pts) they can only move 3" closer (consolidate). So you have limited their total move to 4". 
  • Psyker Support - Again often not used well or even very much. Remember astropath can cast powers (except smite) as well as a farseer! You have ability to auto pass morale with this (26pts + mental fortitude)
  • Your Krieg units can fire into combat with 'without mercy' order. Valhallan screen with Krieg behind might be worth exploring (I have not done this before). But shooting 20 shots into a combat you have tarpitted is interesting. You can get 3 troops into spearhead.
  • burner special weapon team (3x flamers - 42pts) is good second line if you get your combat line unit to fall back.
  • Spend some of your CP on relic of lost cadia. It is hellish v chaos

Hope some of that helps

He run six squad of 20 Poxwalker supported by Typhus and a pair of demon princes, in the back 3 crawler (demonic mortar, not sure of the name) 2 full laser pred and 3 drone with flamers.

The real issue is that with so many body he controll the board, cover objectives and negate space for hades team.

His support tank is not a problem, his capability to roll 5+ FnP like power armor is! :D

Anyway, dice set aside, I need to kill mos of his pox walker as soon as I can in order the get objectives, or hit is rear line.

I chose Krieg in the end, so good fire in melee, but no FRFSRF...

Krieg are my favourite looking guard army! 

I run Talharn battalion with melta infantry unit (50pts each). I find the speed they get allows me to get great board control early on (move+advance and still shoot with no -1). Melta means they become distraction as players nervous about them and I can get them close very fast for melta rule. TBH in reality they still seem to miss most of time! but overall gives me fast option that gets me board control and screen. Aim is to get withing 12" of enemy as soon as possible as far up board as possible. 12" gives me the melta shot and rapid fire for rest of guys.

You can use the claw to bring two units on and consolidate into one unit on entry, then platoon commander gives your FRFSRF. 

sorry drifting off topic but just wanted to share idea of using infantry as fast moving to counter the board control issue you identify. As an aside its really fun to play compared to other regiments that are more static.

Be wary of the plague burst crawler. The entropy cannons can 1 shot your tanks and the main gun is really good. Think of it as an indirect fire battle cannon. I recommend basilisks to show the plague burst crawlers how indirect fire is really done. Battle cannons with lascannon and HB can give you the same damage output as the plague burst crawler with and the ability to out range them.

Archived