Titandeath supplement discussion

RedFurioso

To be fair I'm trying to buy stuff on Amazon to save like 10-15% a couple of weeks later. Got 3 Reavers for $150 that way and a Warlord for $90.

If you are willing to drive down to Fredericksburg, YHP gives 15% off on any preorders or anything that they don't have in stock.

Even with that I can't afford the expansion, the new reaver kit, and the warlord weapons sprue. Looks like the book will wait, and I'll buy and paint the others.

To be fair I'm trying to buy stuff on Amazon to save like 10-15% a couple of weeks later. Got 3 Reavers for $150 that way and a Warlord for $90.

If you are willing to drive down to Fredericksburg, YHP gives 15% off on any preorders or anything that they don't have in stock.

Even with that I can't afford the expansion, the new reaver kit, and the warlord weapons sprue. Looks like the book will wait, and I'll buy and paint the others.

I had planned to play Xwing with a friend down there this weekend but it snowed :(

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't a great deal of either to speak of. 3 colour plates per featured Legio + Maniple plates (meaning some Legios get a few more pieces of art), and a couple of pieces of recycled knight art. Less than 20 pages of lore (including a timeline), but as with most FW publications there are lots of lore nuggets scattered throughout the book, often alongside the art.

Given the price of the book, and their professed desire to do a new one every 6 months (I doubt that will happen, FW gonna FW), it feels like it's well worth the purchase. But this is primarily a gaming supplement and anybody going into the book hoping for a black book style overview - which I have to admit I'd have loved to see, even if it seems like a silly desire in retrospect - is going to be sorely disappointed. Legios like Vulpa, Defensor, etc, are going to have to wait until they get a slot in a proper HH black book to get their lore laid out in full, which is a bit of a blow for fans of those Legios.

Not gonna lie, I was really disappointed that at least eight of the color plates are straight up copy and paiste... like they didn’t even try to change anything in them and I can’t imagine those are that hard to change. Most have recycled names as well. Other than that it was a really good book for a gaming supplement. Straight and to the point in a way that is entirely unlike games workshop, and even more unlike FW. Now I’d really like FW to do a lore book about the legions...

Thank you guys for your insights!

Now I’d really like FW to do a lore book about the legions...

That’ll be great! That’s what I said from the beginning: a book like the Knights Companion, explaining heraldry, having some detailed fluff for, say, 10 Legios and showing painting schemes. And because they are Titans, instead of doing a single book they could go for more than one or possibly a much thicker one (say 20 Legios)...

It appears this is not happening so... :(

I thought the book was excellent for the price point. While there aren't too many pages of lore in the book what is there is very enjoyable to read and gives an amazing backdrop for using the campaign rules presented in the book. The game mechanic stuff is great--campaign rules, scenarios, and rules for eight different Legios. The Legio rules all seem to give some good stuff, so I imagine players using those Legios or similar homebrew Legios are going to have a lot of fun. I did also love the Appendix with the allied Knight Houses and their colors. I'd have like to see more though, but at least they did detail some Knight Houses they hadn't given colors before. 

My only complaint doesn't have to do with the book itself. It's that all the represented Legios don't have the full-color transfer sheets yet. Where are the Astorum, Atarus, Fureans, and Tempestus full-color transfers? They have been represented since the base game, but they got skipped over in favor of the newly-presented Legios getting sheets. I'd be fine with that if that hadn't already done Gryphonicus and Mortis. It's odd since, AFAIK, some of those Legios have gotten 40k style transfer sheets from FW and it would seem like it'd be easier to scale those down than to make new ones entirely.

I tend to agree that it's a great book for the price point. It does exactly what you want it to do.

I might be in a minority but I’d prefer any new rules to be pretty minor, so as to avoid upsetting the balance of the game. FW don’t have a great record on this to be honest. In my view 30k was excellent when it started but went downhill as more weapons were added (notably phosphex quad launchers, which I can’t believe they playtested even once).

So Titandeath is pretty good from a rules perspective. 8 new legios, none of which seems broken, but no new engines, plus some optional campaign rules and a bunch of scenarios. I guess new engines can be added later on, and potentially even in WD – as the Cerastus ones were. It strikes me that the obvious thing would be to put terminals in boxes with the minis, but this doesn’t seem to have occurred to anyone at FW so far!

It strikes me that the obvious thing would be to put terminals in boxes with the minis, but this doesn’t seem to have occurred to anyone at FW so far!

I have no idea why they don't do this especially when the terminals and the cards are freaking direct order and always sold out. It makes no sense to me. Just up the price of the box a few dollars to cover the terminal and cards.

Good catch. Maybe something they'll flesh out in the future? They have to do at least one more supplement because somehow we're still missing rules for Legio Ignatum. One of the three original Titan Legios ever. I'm betting next up will be something like Siege of Terra or something.

while those Manaple names are varry fitting for the Legions they are paired with, and indeed would probubly have lore saying they were invented/primarily used by those Legions, I doubt they'd make these Maniples Legion exclusives; after all, Legio rules should already fill these roles, especially those who are aloud to swap out one type of titan for another in their Manaples.

Archived