Is magnetizing infantry worth it?

Kona

Depends where you are and how much youre paying for a box of plastics

Id err on the side of no given the effort

Although magnetising a vox caster would be easy if youre super concerned about WYSIWYG. But they're generally pretty cheap and guard load outs don't change too much.

If you wanna edition proof your models use super glue on the weapons vs plastic. That way its fairly easy to break em off and change them out.

Another option is to build all the possible combinations you think you'll need in the multipart kits and then buy the push fit ones to get regular lasgunners.

In Aus the $$ work out to using push fits in the US less so.

Troops, especially guardsmen shouldn't need too much tinkering. An infantry squad, with any reasonable load out, should be equally effective in any army. My list is 5 squads with grenade launcher and voxcaster, 1 squad with lascannon, sniper and voxcaster and a veteran squad with voxcaster, 2 plasma, and 1 meltagun. I have 3 extra special weapons (flamers) and 7 extra infantry models. I just swap out models as appropriate to what I want to do and it generally future proofs my army. After all, the guard always has extras.

Agreed, Guard infantry models aren't very suitable for magnetising especially given the number you generally need. There's merit in swapping a backpack and vox if you want, as they seem to vary in usefulness in the extremes, but you're probably better off getting more Guardsmen :lol:

Imho, the only thing I've ever wished I'd magnetized was voxes, and even then I haven't had problems just using the box model and saying "my army has no voxes in it". Anything else I've honestly just acquired more guardsmen, though I'm lucky in that most of my guard come from back when they were about half the price that they are now, and I amassed twenty something plasma guns in metal. If I were starting now it's possible I would magnetize some of the special weapons (the heavy weapons, especially the Bolter/Autocannon/Lascannon are easy enough to swap without magnets due to their easy mounting), but as it is I bought enough used models with Flamers and grenade launchers that I never saw the need, just painted up what I got ahold of

The only magnetizing that is worth it in the AM inf is the company commander model, and even then it's just for flavor. It is also a very simple model to magnetize. The body is fully plastic so you won't be dropping a magnet into a cavity, and the weapons can all be magnetized on the sprue very easily. 

I'd have said that magnatizing the heavy weapon teams would be the only thing I'd consider doing... If you were going to run guards squads without Vox just magnatise to voxbox so it can sit on the base of a random guardsmen so you take it off when not needed

Archived