Infantry Squad Sgts: How do you equip yours?

Rommel44

Hey mates. As the title says, currently in the process of building my Infantry Squads and I am currently debating on how to equip the Sgt's for my squads. Like the Bolter option for obvious reasons, but I am not sure if it's worth it so feel free to share how you equip your Infantry Squads Sgt's and why.

Laspistol and CCW should be enough for any man :wink: Otherwise as mentioned a bolter is a great way to make sure those last points aren't unspent, as in most cases the Infantry Squad won't last long so you don't want to spend too many points on them. Plus a laspistol and CCW are classic and far less likely to be removed in future updates :tongue.:

I wish they could take lasguns.

Boltguns are generally better on commissars or commanders for their higher BS.

I also prefer to spend 2pts on a Storm Bolter for a hellhound than on 2 IS Sergeants.

If I still have the points for shooty regiments then I'd put boltguns on the sergeants.

There is an argument for powerswords on Catachans with Straken and a Priest giving an extra 2 attacks to each fighter.

If I'm using Tallarn, then I equip my IS Sergeants with Plasma Pistols, since the squad won't have any heavy weapons.

Otherwise, I just use the standard Lasguns.

To be clear, I'm aware that Bolters are probably the best option, but I just feel that it involves a lot of faffing around for negligible gain. 

I always stick to the basic Laspistol+Chainsword.

Guardsmen gets charged almost every time so the 3 Attacks from the Sarge are great for the counter Attack.

Also i keep the Squad cheap as possible.

1 point for a Boltgun doesn't sound much, but it summs up if you play a lot of Infantry

The 1 point for a Boltgun is negligible, and it allows the Sergeant to actually contribute to a firefight. Since I use the Armageddon doctrine, it also pushes the rapid fire out to 18" which is better than the paltry 12" Laspistol shot.

Also, remember that the Chainsword is not tied to the ranged weapon. The entry states the Sergeant can replace the laspistol with an item from the Ranged Weapon List, and may take a Chainsword or Power Sword. As the chainsword 0 points, there's no reason not to take one. All my Infantry Squad Sergeants have Boltguns and Chainswords.

I do miss the old Guard codex that allowed the Sergeant to take a lasgun instead of a laspistol and CCW. I don't understand why they ever removed this as an option.

Bolter and chainsword for all of mine- I've gone to the trouble of converting them now so I'll use them, damnit! I do find them to be worth it (though if I could just put a damned lasgun on them I'd do it without hesitation).

Considering it's replacing a laspistol for 1 point you are basically creating an extra BS4+ bolter troop for 1 point. 

I've got 3 with lasguns, and 3 with boltguns.

I kind of regret converting the 3 now though as it kind of forces me to take them or be confusing to look at.

I'd hate their boltguns to cause me to be a few points short which prevents me from taking a Leman Russ or a Bullgryn Squad.

I've decided that small Orthodontist Bands are the way forward for changing the default weapons for WYSIWYG:

zijvlXKl.jpg

Normally I leave mine with the Laspistol and Chainsword to help keep the squad cheap.

If I mechanise the unit then I will consider the Plasma Pistol as a way of adding to the overall firepower of the unit (especially since it is likely lacking a Heavy Weapon).

If I have the points spare I will give them a Bolter and Chainsword - my vehicles tend to already have a Pintle weapon and my Officers equipped for the role I need them to fulfill so there is nowhere else to fill in odd points.

In some cases I can see the argument for a Power Sword, especially on a screening squad, thanks to the 8th AP system and some of the more combat-oriented doctrines and formations that have come out. Also, hurling a squad into the enemy with a PW-wielding Sergeant and a Vox Caster for Fire On My Position can be a nasty surprise for the opponent looking for an easy kill.

Lasguns. 

Oh wait, that's not an option. 

For some reason. :rolleyes:

Bolt pistols and chainswords - because that's what the Valhallan minis that I have were released with.

-Ran

I wish they could take lasguns.

Boltguns are generally better on commissars or commanders for their higher BS.

I also prefer to spend 2pts on a Storm Bolter for a hellhound than on 2 IS Sergeants.

If I still have the points for shooty regiments then I'd put boltguns on the sergeants.

There is an argument for powerswords on Catachans with Straken and a Priest giving an extra 2 attacks to each fighter.

Hell, i just thought they have lasguns ...and no opponent recognised that in any game, even they were also playing Inf squad.

If you join the genestealer cult then your Sgts can take lasguns ;)

But in regards to OPs question. I think it depends on 2 things, battlefield role and regiment trait.

If you want a squad that is either going to be a cheap screen that you expect to die in turn 1 or 2 then there is little point in vesting many points in that squad. Or if you expect to play aggressively and want to get into combat then keeping the laspistol chainsword is the way to go.

However, if you plan on having a fire support squad, who will be sitting back holding home objectives and plinking away at long range, the bolter makes sense. Think about it, you are paying 5 points for that sgt, if he spends all game out of range with his laspistol then that is 5 points completely wasted. But give him a bolter and he has a good chance of earning his 6 points. 

Regiment Traits are very important to consider. Catachans, Krieg and Tallarn are likely to be getting up close and personal so pistols and chainswords make sense for them. Cadians, Vostroyans and especially Armageddon are going to get the most out of having bolters (Cadians are more likely to hit, Vostryans and Armageddon have a better Rapid fire range). Mordian and Valhallan dont really benefit either from bolters or laspistol so its dealers choice for these guys.

The last thing to take into consideration is the hierarchy of the Guard. A bolter costs 1 point, no matter which model takes it. However, officers, commissars and veteran sgts hit on a 3+, so they will immediately be more likely to get a kill than your basic grunt sgt and thus should be a priority for receiving bolters. 

But at the end of the day, its up to you what you want to put on your squads :) 

9cafdbp.jpg

Bolters and chainswords! 

Or if you expect to play aggressively and want to get into combat then keeping the laspistol chainsword is the way to go.

You don't need to give up the chainsword to take the bolter so they keep their shooting advantage all the way (even at <12" it's still 1 s3 shot vs 2 s4).

I take a similar approach to many above.

-My Catachan sergeants run laspistol and chainsword. They're likely to get up close, the extra attack is useful with their melee bonuses and they were built that way years ago.

-My Praetorian/Mordian sergeants likewise run the same. I'd rather they had something longer ranged but being all-metal makes modifications tricky. For those with a metal power sword close to their chest I just paint them in a steel colour as counts-as chainswords (all my actual power weapons have blue glow effects to stand out).

-For my newer Cadian models I have the sergeants with boltgun and chainsword, and as MrZakalwe already showed on his I have the chainswords strapped to their backs.

-I have a couple of veteran sergeants built with plasma pistols to use in triple-plasma veteran squads, though they haven't taken to the field yet as they're still "in training" (ie. not yet painted). The reasoning there is that they're likely to die soon after dropping out of their transports so I might as well maximise their firepower the turn they do get to shoot something.

To echo many others I'd really like to just give most of them lasguns to make dice rolling easier and gain efficiency with FRFSRF but it is what it is.

I run power swords on all chars in my Chan brigade. Only like 32 pts and can get you out of trouble in some matchups. Option to upgrade company commanders with relic swords is a good option too. Makes people think twice about charging with solo characters

Lasguns. 

Oh wait, that's not an option. 

For some reason. :rolleyes:

Bolt pistols and chainswords - because that's what the Valhallan minis that I have were released with.

-Ran

I have two Valhallans with hand flamer and swords who I run as boltgun and powersword sergeants. They almost never do anything even when combined into one squad and put next to a priest but they don't vanish that quickly.

Archived