Aegis Defence Line as Charge Deterrent

Diagramdude

An Aegis Defence Line is 75 points for four large sections and four small sections. Once you deploy it is treated as a terrain feature and infantry units within 1" and behind it from the firer's point of view get the benefit of cover. And charges are successful if the charging unit can move within 2" of the charged unit. 

But if you deploy the Aegis lines and then put your infantry just outside of 2" of the line, then any enemy chargers have to add more than 2" to their charge distance because they have to go up and down the Aegis line to continue towards  your unit. The shortest part of the section is more than an inch tall, and FLY doesn't work in the charge phase anymore. So any deep striking unit coming in within 9" of your unit needs a 12" instead of a 9". Because if you try to move that 9" with an 11" you won't be able to vertically traverse up and down the Aegis line (taller than an inch)and still go 9" horizontally. 

If you put your infantry outside of 2" of the line, then they're no longer within 1" and therefore no longer receive cover.

I like the idea of it, but as it extends the charge range essentially allowing enemies to charge the line, realistically all it does is grant you a cover save for 75pts.

There may be a case where you have 1 model within 1" of it and have something on the other side of the line blocking them from getting within 2" of that model, but it's a rare case.

Wassa is right on everything

I also think Infantry will ignore the Defense Line while moving, like the walls from ruins. At least i think so, but i am nor sure

It's kinda wierd that the defense line buffs your enemy charge.

It should be the other way round. The should have to substract 2" from thier charge roll. I mean they charge an entrenched Position thats not that easy.

More than 2" away the infantry unit would not receive cover. But you don't need cover against Evil Sunz Orks. Instead you need to force Stormboyz to come in 9" away from your infantry and fail their charge. The defence line is not a ruin. Models trying to go across it would have to add the vertical distance both going up and back down the wall to the distance they want to move horizontally. 

If your unit is more than 2" away from that line then if the Stormboyz would end their charge on the farther side of the line they are not within 2" of your unit. And if they want to come to the closer side of the line they pay more than 2" in additional movement. 

Against a shooting army sure you could jam your units close up to get cover. But it's situationally flexible against an assault army to stand further back from the line to force 12s on units charging you from 9" away.  

Models trying to go across it would have to add the vertical distance both going up and back down the wall to the distance they want to move horizontally.

Is this a offical Rule?

I can't remember anything like this in the Rulebook or in the Datasheets

Looking at them, I think you're better off with an Imperial Bunker for 100pts. It has the same profile as a Leman Russ.

You can have 10 models in there, 5 being able to shoot. Fill it up with a 2 HWTs of lascannons. The enemy can charge it, but you can still shoot out of it in combat, and you can also target the enemy models in combat with it.

Additionally it has room on top to place more units/HWTs on it which would gain the benefit of cover being a terrain feature.

Domsto, paragraph 2 of the Movement Phase under "Moving"

"A model can be moved in any direction, to a distance, in inches, equal to or less than the Move characteristic on its datasheet. No part of the model's base (or hull) can move further than this. It cannot be moved through other models or through terrain features such as walls, but can be moved vertically in order to climb or traverse any scenery."

A charge move is a type of move that would follow the above. You would have to go up and down the height of the defence line to charge across it at a unit that is not within 2" of the line. 

This is correct, and shows just how terrilble 8th ed.-terrain rules are. The Aegis is a useless, overpriced source of cover, but works well as a speedbump - only when *nobody* is actually using it for protection.

An infantry model can traverse a 3" thick solid concrete wall without any problem, but if has to go through a 1x1x1" crate it will loose 2" movement.

The current rules are simply pathetic, and not even at the advantage of playability as they still generate a lot of ambiguities. I think one of the most urgent needs for the game is a completely new system for terrain rules.

They'd still be within 2" of your models though, regardless if theres a wall in the way or not.

I'm not sure the rules specify whether you can or cannot fight if there is scenery in the way. I've seen plenty of fights through ruins and windows.

Looking at them, I think you're better off with an Imperial Bunker for 100pts. It has the same profile as a Leman Russ.

You can have 10 models in there, 5 being able to shoot. Fill it up with a 2 HWTs of lascannons. The enemy can charge it, but you can still shoot out of it in combat, and you can also target the enemy models in combat with it.

Additionally it has room on top to place more units/HWTs on it which would gain the benefit of cover being a terrain feature.

Pretty sure you can only put a single unit in a building under current rules.

Domsto, paragraph 2 of the Movement Phase under "Moving"

"A model can be moved in any direction, to a distance, in inches, equal to or less than the Move characteristic on its datasheet. No part of the model's base (or hull) can move further than this. It cannot be moved through other models or through terrain features such as walls, but can be moved vertically in order to climb or traverse any scenery."

A charge move is a type of move that would follow the above. You would have to go up and down the height of the defence line to charge across it at a unit that is not within 2" of the line.

Although I understand your logic and I believe that is actually intent based on what I did hear from close to the play test team(s). I am yet to see anyone play barricades and ruins that way.

If your local meta does then it could work.

Although at 75pts that's nearly another 2 squads of guard which would act as even better road bumps. ;)

Pretty sure you can only put a single unit in a building under current rules.

Ah, I reread the datasheet. It says any number of characters and one infantry unit.

A HWT and 2 vindicare assassins it is then :), as only 5 models can fire from it.

Doesn't stop you placing another unit on top of the bunker though, as my local club counts on top of scenery as being within cover.

Archived